Game Day Round 11, June 2 2019 - West Coast v Bulldogs : The Flat Track of Apathy

I cant stand it. The same dickhead always tries to start it as well, he needs a good talking to. You're at a footy game, not a Ricky Martin concert. Just sit down.

It's embarrassing, it's disrespectful and it needs to cease immediately. Put my head in my hands when I see it coming.

I'd find Marsden trying to fend off Patrick Cripps to be less cringeworthy.

Avalor

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Jakarta
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth, Donnybrook, Chelsea
I cant stand it. The same dickhead always tries to start it as well, he needs a good talking to. You're at a footy game, not a Ricky Martin concert. Just sit down.

It's embarrassing, it's disrespectful and it needs to cease immediately. Put my head in my hands when I see it coming.

I'd find Marsden trying to fend off Patrick Cripps to be less cringeworthy.

Hmmm .... you are grumpy today.

Astro7

Official Halftime Oranges Man
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
I threw 1 arm up reluctantly as it came round felt , ridiculous but some fans love it so why not if it gives them a thrill , might have been their 1st game with a big win . They paid ,its their right .
For sure, just saying it's not done anywhere else in football, only Perth. They can do whatever they want, but it's still cringeworthy.

Seadog

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 16, 2004
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth, West Ham
All the miserable campaigners who hate the wave can go away.

Harmless fun. Kids love it.

"It's so Perth" should not be a negative epithet.

Cease the unnecessary cultural cringing comrades.
Na, it's crap, all the "footy" atmosphere left the ground and the cheering was for the wave as it went past, wasn't a coincidence the players intensity dropped off. And besides I paid my bucks and I'm entitled to hate it.:rage:

Na, it's crap, all the "footy" atmosphere left the ground and the cheering was for the wave as it went past, wasn't a coincidence the players intensity dropped off. And besides I paid my bucks and I'm entitled to hate it.:rage:
That is fair enough but I didn't perceive much footy atmosphere at that stage myself. 80 odd up with 10 minutes to go in a non-final.

Our members with long commutes, dogs fans etc were already starting to file out.

Sep 21, 2004
Adel - SA - Aust - Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Norwood & Liverpool.
The mexican wave simply gave a signal to the WCE players that we were too happy with the results and hence they started to slow down.

The impacts on lowering the score percentage can be huge. I still remember the 2007 season when we helped to celebrate Sheedy and Hird retirement and let Essendon came back from a big losing margin. Though we still won the R22 game, but we lost the top 2 position and end up losing to the not so strong Port Adelaide away.
Port Adelaide was second and we were third on the ladder only because we failed to score more goals against Essendon in the last quarter of the R22!!
That game pissed me off no end.

Was looking like a 100 point win. Ended up nearly losing.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Why do people hate the Mexican wave so much?

It's disrespectful to the opposition and the game itself. It's arrogant, embarrassing, and only happens at WCE games.

One thing doing it in a soccer match when there's only a couple scores a game, but AFL is different as there's always something going on and to cheer for.

Its like saying, this game is boring I'm just going to switch off and distract everyone around me from the game despite the fact it's still being played.

We aren't top of the ladder. We finally beat a team by more than a few goals and it's time to break out the Mexican wave like we're the globe trotters?

Were they doing it when our team got annihilated by Port? Next time we're down by 10 goals I might try and start one and see how it's received.

We're in a good spot if we have to reach down to "Our Mexican wave is a bit weak" to find weaknesses.

We're living the dream.

"Our Mexican wave is a bit weak"
"Jack Darling keeps ruining my thread bagging him"
"We haven't won a flag in eight whole months!"
"It's only half time and we're 7-3 and in front but I think the club should fold"
"We should be winning by 110 points otherwise I'll close my account"

We are a precious lot sometimes.

"Our Mexican wave is a bit weak"
"Jack Darling keeps ruining my thread bagging him"
"We haven't won a flag in eight whole months!"
"It's only half time and we're 7-3 and in front but I think the club should fold"
"We should be winning by 110 points otherwise I'll close my account"

We are a precious lot sometimes.

Spoilt by success.

Apr 29, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
The low tackle count was interesting to me. Maybe just a by product of the Dogs style, but did hear Simmo twice mention last week that the previous 2 weeks tackle numbers weren't sustainable.

And in the presser afterwards he mentioned how sore the boys were after last weeks game and that they've pulled up much better this week.

Good to know we can switch it up from week to week and still come away with the wins. Will need to tackle more than 37 times to beat the Swans on the SCG I'd suggest.

wirra44

Premiership Player
Jul 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Force,WAWarriors,SA Spurs
Were they doing it when our team got annihilated by Port? Next time we're down by 10 goals I might try and start one and see how it's received.

The first time i saw a mexican wave going around it was at subi in 2001(i think), when we were getting beaten by essendon by 100 ponts and llyod had kicked 9. I was about 10 years old and thought it was the best thing ever.

Jiggyman

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
It's disrespectful to the opposition and the game itself. It's arrogant, embarrassing, and only happens at WCE games.

One thing doing it in a soccer match when there's only a couple scores a game, but AFL is different as there's always something going on and to cheer for.

Its like saying, this game is boring I'm just going to switch off and distract everyone around me from the game despite the fact it's still being played.

We aren't top of the ladder. We finally beat a team by more than a few goals and it's time to break out the Mexican wave like we're the globe trotters?

Fair viewpoint but a harsh analysis.

Sunday arvo game, public holiday, and to be honest we've had a few pretty nervous games at home so far this year. Think the crowd were just letting off some steam and enjoyment. We're also in a completely unique position to be drawing 50k+ almost exclusively WCE fans per week; packing out the ground.

Oh and Hurn was off for a quarter and a half, Kennedy for most of the 4th. Game was dead, and there is something to be gained by conserving bodies for when it counts.

The way our crowd has consistently lifted in close games and helped the boys over the line, since last year, gives me some faith.

Priddis Is Done

Norm Smith Medallist
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Wondering if we have any tactical gameplay up our sleeve, that we will unfurl come finals time.

I'm thinking ala the Adelaide away final during Wooshas time, handballing our way to victory.

Or refusing for 2 years to match our opponents putting a spare man in defence, and then doing it in the 06 GF.

Sep 23, 2007
continental shelf
AFL Club
West Coast
Wondering if we have any tactical gameplay up our sleeve, that we will unfurl come finals time.

I'm thinking ala the Adelaide away final during Wooshas time, handballing our way to victory.

Or refusing for 2 years to match our opponents putting a spare man in defence, and then doing it in the 06 GF.

Surely we’ll get more out of Hurn and Jetta’s kick-ins. We can create an outnumber with Petch and Cripps 75+ metres out and get them to run the ball to goal.

Back