Game Day Round 11: Pies v North Melbourne, Marvel. 28 May, 3.20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
The Evil Empire defeated. Enough has been talked about them and a short preview from the Finn this week.

We're in great shape. Only a few best 22 to come back in, and probably the most important of these is Howe, who is still a way away. Everyone else is cream on the cake. And the cake is rich, dense, filled with chocolate and unpredictable ball movement. It's a birthday every week for collingwood supporters and I've been packing on the kilos for weeks now. Craig McRae is a baker's delight. Leppich has the best recipes. Finnish has an appetite for more.

North Melbourne
We play a North who were competitive last week. Expect them to drop off this week now the coach dramas have passed. They have some talent, sure. Sheezel, Wardlaw, McKay, LDU, Larkey -- all have bright futures. When they give 100% they are competitive. Competitive isn't enough against us. To be honest, there's not much to fear except complacency on our side.
I don't even have the energy to dredge through North's past indiscretions. Ever since Wayne Carey made out with his best friend's wife in the toilet at some party, they've been nothing more than mediocre kangaroo steak. No chocolate cake but healthy to dine on. You know it's good for your protein but really forgettable.

The Pies
We're in excellent form and our biggest questions are about team selection.
I'm in favour resting players from now on. This has two immense benefits. It freshens up the aging warriors and keeps the list in peak shape for the finals. It also gives our second-rank players valuable game time and experience. Macrae, Carmichael, Bianco, Kelly, Wilson, Ruscoe, Allan -- all these can be exposed to AFL level and this keeps them in touch with the pace of the AFL and ready to step in if required.
Anyone over 29 is on the list for resting: Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Mihocek, Adams, Mitchell, Elliot, etc. Then our most important players should get rests too: Moore, N Daicos, Elliot (again) should all get rests too.

There are two ways of doing all this.
The first is just through judicious use of the sub, by taking off those we want to rest and bringing on those we want to give experience to (or vice versa).
The second way is giving our senior players an entire week off.

I'd use both methods in the coming months, assuming we continue winning.

This week: Adams gets a week off, Ginnivan plays the full game, Carmichael gets a run starting as the sub and Pendlebury gets subbed after 2.5 quarters.

The Washup
Pies by 57 as they dine out on Kangaroo stew!

Last edited by a moderator:
The Evil Empire defeated. Enough has been talked about them and a short preview from the Finn this week.

We're in great shape. Only a few best 22 to come back in, and probably the most important of these is Howe, who is still a way away. Everyone else is cream on the cake. And the cake is rich, dense, filled with chocolate and unpredictable ball movement. It's a birthday every week for collingwood supporters and I've been packing on the kilos for weeks now. Craig McRae is a baker's delight. Leppich has the best recipes. Finnish has an appetite for more.

North Melbourne
We play a North who were competitive last week. Expect them to drop off this week now the coach dramas have passed. They have some talent, sure. Sheezel, Wardlaw, McKay, LDU, Larkey -- all have bright futures. When they give 100% they are competitive. Competitive isn't enough against us. To be honest, there's not much to fear except complacency on our side.
I don't even have the energy to dredge through North's past indiscretions. Ever since Wayne Carey made out with his best friend's wife in the toilet at some party, they've been nothing more than mediocre kangaroo steak. No chocolate cake but healthy to dine on. You know it's good for your protein but really forgettable.

The Pies
We're in excellent form and our biggest questions are about team selection.
I'm in favour resting players from now on. This has two immense benefits. It freshens up the aging warriors and keeps the list in peak shape for the finals. It also gives our second-rank players valuable game time and experience. Macrae, Carmichael, Bianco, Kelly, Wilson, Ruscoe, Allan -- all these can be exposed to AFL level and this keeps them in touch with the pace of the AFL and ready to step in if required.
Anyone over 29 is on the list for resting: Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Mihocek, Adams, Mitchell, Elliot, etc. Then our most important players should get rests too: Moore, N Daicos, Elliot (again) should all get rests too.

There are two ways of doing all this.
The first is just through judicious use of the sub, by taking off those we want to rest and bringing on those we want to give experience to (or vice versa).
The second way is giving our senior players an entire week off.

I'd use both methods in the coming months, assuming we continue winning.

This week: Adams gets a week off, Ginnivan plays the full game, Carmichael gets a run starting as the sub and Pendlebury gets subbed after 2.5 quarters.

The Washup
Pies by 57 as they dine out on Kangaroo stew!

i doubt any player "wants" to rest. I think it would need "proof" from the fitness people. Geelong's strategy rested on the fact that the oldies weren't that good in finals in previous years. I'm not sure "resting" is of any benefit, unless it's to players who have difficulty recovering...

i doubt any player "wants" to rest. I think it would need "proof" from the fitness people. Geelong's strategy rested on the fact that the oldies weren't that good in finals in previous years. I'm not sure "resting" is of any benefit, unless it's to players who have difficulty recovering...

I doubt any player wants to rest too -- though Pendlebury seemed happy enough when he was subbed out early a few weeks ago. But it ain't up to them. It's up to the coaches and the fitness staff.

With all the talk of freshening blokes up by resting them, my red wine and netflix habits should put me in good stead for finals.

I can’t work up any hate for North. Solid working class club, historically struggling suburb, factories everywhere, small houses and big churches, pubs on every corner.

Sound familiar?

Sadly for North, that’s where the similarities end. Also…because…Wayne Carey. Maybe I do hate them.

Steele will smile us to victory. Mason will strut. Pies will do enough.

They will always be my little league team and I still remember running around like a little dickhead on Arden St before guzzling a big M then welcoming the 77 Roos team onto the ground. Little did I know.

But it’s why I can never hate them. Just put them down behind the curtain please. Easy there ROO Boys…

i just read an article on the SEN site about sidebottom. How he was cooked in 2021 and i think the BF crew let him know about that at the time. It annoys me when players dont thank the bf crew for the abuse that they provide and the resultant motivation that is provided to the player. A simple thank you would be enough...

Last edited:
I can’t work up any hate for North. Solid working class club, historically struggling suburb, factories everywhere, small houses and big churches, pubs on every corner.

Sound familiar?

Sadly for North, that’s where the similarities end. Also…because…Wayne Carey. Maybe I do hate them.

Steele will smile us to victory. Mason will strut. Pies will do enough.
1977 VP.
Does there have to be any other reason?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The club email selection list has two Oleg Markovs on the bench and no Mason Cox.

So Craig isn't going to debut any youth or vfl bound players this year it seems despite saying they're afl quality. Bold plan heading into the second half of the year.

So Craig isn't going to debut any youth or vfl bound players this year it seems despite saying they're afl quality. Bold plan heading into the second half of the year.
Very bold to concentrate on winning a premiership and to keep continuity with the team, seriously we are winning but some people are obsessed with debutantes

Very bold to concentrate on winning a premiership and to keep continuity with the team, seriously we are winning but some people are obsessed with debutantes

Always thought Malthouse did it best. Had the balls to push out Lockyer and O'Bree, bring in Blair etc...

He got Medhurst wrong though.

It's only round 11, not long before the bye. Plenty of time to rest players if they need it. Mind you, Adams & Pendles have both had a week off already, the VFL didn't play last week I doubt any senior players would want to miss out playing when they have 2 team mates celebrating milestone games this week.

Always thought Malthouse did it best. Had the balls to push out Lockyer and O'Bree, bring in Blair etc...

He got Medhurst wrong though.

The same Malthouse who played a one legged injured Ben Reid in a GF against Tom Hawkins.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back