Review Round 11 vs Essendon @ Metricon (Wed 12/8/20 - 7:10pm)

Remove this Banner Ad

I disagree about Hugh needing a rest he just needs more help we are very reliant on him

You're probably right but will he get the help. Greenwood is falling away in the 2nd halves of games, mainly because he's shouldering the load. Last night he had 14 disp 11 contested poss and 5 clearances to 1/2 time, but in the 2nd half could only manage 8,4 and 1.......obviously he needs help but if he isn't going to get it, then he needs a rest.

Pencil this in as an easy win I reckon. Essendope are cooked, Suns to shine some light back into their season.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

We always have to overcome a 3 goal start to VFL teams which must be factored in just like last night due to the disgraceful VFL umpires.
So no I won’t be getting ahead of myself ever against a VFL club while they hide behind the skirts of the VFL Umpires.
Gil McLachlan needs to do his job and fix it.

We always have to overcome a 3 goal start to VFL teams which must be factored in just like last night due to the disgraceful VFL umpires.
So no I won’t be getting ahead of myself ever against a VFL club while they hide behind the skirts of the VFL Umpires.

I’d rather we overcome our ball butchering/turnovers/missed goals than worry about having to rely on umpires getting us over the line

give it a break bods

I’d say the umpires are just terrible in general. Go look at our game against Adelaide down at the Oval a couple weeks ago. Umpires were absolutely appalling.

Every year it seems to get worse, doesn’t help that the rules are ever changing.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Aussie Rules Football is the toughest game in the world to umpire and rules constantly getting changed doesn't help either. Another thing is the umps are NOT full time professionals so you'd expect some inconsistency

In saything this though, the one thing we all expect is the calls are at least consistent for the match but the obvious ones NEED to be paid.

I’d rather we overcome our ball butchering/turnovers/missed goals than worry about having to rely on umpires getting us over the line
I think the umpire were ok yesterday. This year is too early for this group , let them build chemistry and improve their kicking , if not will be like Melbourne , went into final for one year and fade away with poor kicking .

Aussie Rules Football is the toughest game in the world to umpire and rules constantly getting changed doesn't help either. Another thing is the umps are NOT full time professionals so you'd expect some inconsistency

In saything this though, the one thing we all expect is the calls are at least consistent for the match but the obvious ones NEED to be paid.
I was saying to mum last night after the pies game, being an umpire would be the toughest job in the world. You're never gonna get everything right, or 100%. Not only do they get all the pressure to get everything perfect, but they get abuse thrown at them by fans, by players and the like.
I certainly wouldn't want to be in that position.

i
I was saying to mum last night after the pies game, being an umpire would be the toughest job in the world. You're never gonna get everything right, or 100%. Not only do they get all the pressure to get everything perfect, but they get abuse thrown at them by fans, by players and the like.
I certainly wouldn't want to be in that position.
I am a coach for juniors and we had Matt Nicholls come and speak to us at a coaches meeting a few years ago. He said that AFL umpires on average make around 20 incorrect calls per game so community will be far greater..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i

I am a coach for juniors and we had Matt Nicholls come and speak to us at a coaches meeting a few years ago. He said that AFL umpires on average make around 20 incorrect calls per game so community will be far greater..
Yeah, i can imagine its not easy to encourage young adults to want to umpire the game. Between the change of rules all the time (can't blame them for getting HTB confused -- the interpretations changes so quickly), the stuff that gets said when you don't get everything right. There is more coaching stuff on game day then there is umpires on the ground. They aren't always going to see everything when it happens. May not always go the way fans think or want at times, its gonna be a gamble. But they do try their best at judging what they think is right at the time.
Just like players, stuff and anyone in a workforce, they do get things wrong. Human judgement error. I don't hold it against them longterm (easy to get rilled up on game day though haha)

Yeah, i can imagine its not easy to encourage young adults to want to umpire the game. Between the change of rules all the time (can't blame them for getting HTB confused -- the interpretations changes so quickly), the stuff that gets said when you don't get everything right. There is more coaching stuff on game day then there is umpires on the ground. They aren't always going to see everything when it happens. May not always go the way fans think or want at times, its gonna be a gamble. But they do try their best at judging what they think is right at the time.
Just like players, stuff and anyone in a workforce, they do get things wrong. Human judgement error. I don't hold it against them longterm (easy to get rilled up on game day though haha)

Sometimes I think we forget that we watch the game from an elevated position, either on TV or at the game. The ump is at ground level with 36 bodies running around, all around the 6ft mark....wouldn't be easy. And they'll only ever satisfy 50% of the people, at best.

WE WANT FLANDERS

dd714bdf3ce860b8e546adb64a0a8bd7.jpg
Sooo funny! Sooo true..
Hopefully after he has a great debut, someone can find a screenshot of ned in his ski suit with Homer saying "stupid sexy Flanders"
Never gets old!

Sometimes I think we forget that we watch the game from an elevated position, either on TV or at the game. The ump is at ground level with 36 bodies running around, all around the 6ft mark....wouldn't be easy. And they'll only ever satisfy 50% of the people, at best.

When we play interstate they do a glorious job of satisfying the 95% odd home fans at the game but when it’s at our home ground they don’t give us any satisfaction whatsoever and that’s my issue with them.
We don’t get our turn when it comes to “the rub of the green”.

Essendon will be really flat after that loss to the Giants. They had the game wrapped up and then completely turned off in the fourth quarter which meant it was a massive choke tonight. On the flip side we can hold our heads high knowing we pushed a top 2 side all the way to the end and had chances to win the game.

Now the Bombers find themselves in a very similar situation to us where this game suddenly becomes an absolute must-win if they want to continue to compete for finals. We also have the advantage of an extra day's break so my early thoughts are that we're a huge chance to win this one.

Can't wait to see Flanders debut too!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back