Review Round 11 vs Essendon @ Metricon (Wed 12/8/20 - 7:10pm)

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
Yeah 5 in 2018.
Picking up Neale and Lyons certainly helped them though even with Beams leaving.
Hopefully this hub experience helps us convince a couple of good mids in staying up here!
Get Rowell back next year. He's our version of Neale. ;)

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
You really need to find another hobby
Just prove how irregular your emotion is , fluctuated like periodically wave like sunny . I already find my new hobby but you call me up . I said nothing about you or your post before you bring me up for no reason .

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
None of those three are run and spread at speed players unfortunately. I’m 51 and faster than Fiorini.
I agree I suppose the point I was trying to make ( poorly as it was) is that we have talent on our list but it’s not being developed . We should be developing these guys better and looking inwards not outwards

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I agree I suppose the point I was trying to make ( poorly as it was) is that we have talent on our list but it’s not being developed . We should be developing these guys better and looking inwards not outwards
Lightning quick skilful mids who get their own ball are like hen's teeth.
As a Club we have to recognise that and try for a gameplay that utilises what we have.
At the moment we seem to be trying for another Matt Rowell every week
It's not going to happen, so we have to make grinders like Swallow Miller Fiorini and Brodie work for us

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Agree with you Iva. Some of our young players seem to take longer to come on than other clubs’ players and don’t seem to reach their heights either. Wonder if it’s because we’ve always lacked a decent core of senior players or if it’s something else?

Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Rams, 76's, Brewers
Agree with you Iva. Some of our young players seem to take longer to come on than other clubs’ players and don’t seem to reach their heights either. Wonder if it’s because we’ve always lacked a decent core of senior players or if it’s something else?
On exposed form I think there's been growth and improvement in Luko, King, Ballard, Powell, Bowes, Weller. Also Collins, Day and Miller are having heir best years too. The player development is 10 times better than what it was. Primus was midfield coach FFS.

There's also been 6-7 debutants who have all shown something straight away to indicate bright futures here.

Players like Fiorini and McPherson true have plateaued- maybe it's with the different roles to last year. Ainsworth not sure what role he is best suited to and hasn't come on.
I've seen enough evidence that our development isn't that bad.
We are coming off 19 losses and $1.58 favourites for the spoon this year.

Mar 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
On exposed form I think there's been growth and improvement in Luko, King, Ballard, Powell, Bowes, Weller. Also Collins, Day and Miller are having heir best years too. The player development is 10 times better than what it was. Primus was midfield coach FFS.

There's also been 6-7 debutants who have all shown something straight away to indicate bright futures here.

Players like Fiorini and McPherson true have plateaued- maybe it's with the different roles to last year. Ainsworth not sure what role he is best suited to and hasn't come on.
I've seen enough evidence that our development isn't that bad.
We are coming off 19 losses and $1.58 favourites for the spoon this year.
Ainsworth needs to go back into the middle, looked like he was starting to settle there at the end of last year but now is a forward again. He is quick and can win his own ball, we need as much pace as we can through there.

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd

Maybe because all the other players around them have risen in form we are now exposing Fiorini and McPherson? Maybe they always were average players and it's only now we are realising it because even though they were average, they were the better of the crop?

Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Rams, 76's, Brewers
Maybe because all the other players around them have risen in form we are now exposing Fiorini and McPherson? Maybe they always were average players and it's only now we are realising it because even though they were average, they were the better of the crop?
Yeah there might be something in that.
Fiorini needs to re-invent himself though with Ellis, Powell, Weller (upfield more) and Anderson filling that role.
His kicking lacks penetration for a role off half back and too vanilla for a half forward role. Not sure where he fits in

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
Yeah there might be something in that.
Fiorini needs to re-invent himself though with Ellis, Powell, Weller (upfield more) and Anderson filling that role.
His kicking lacks penetration for a role off half back and too vanilla for a half forward role. Not sure where he fits in
Well Darcy is there until 2022 and Fiorini until 2023

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I think we need to give Fiorini 3 or 4 games
He's proven he can accumulate touches and while I debate this point often with people about "quality" possessions I'd rather the ball in his hands 23 times a game rather than the opposition

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
It was my last trip to Metricon this year. I have to say I enjoyed the game with Bombers (Suns) members around me. A lot of up and down in the last quarter.

As usual, Rankine had it on his boot. Correct call just poorly executed kick. King joined him this time too.

We had opportunities to put away Bombers several times. Missed snaps by Rankine come to mind.

Bombers played better than I expected. It seems every team we play performs well.

For those saying that Bombers are decimated by injuries. Correct but not many missing in the midfield besides Heppell.
Shiel, Smith, Zaharakis, Merrett,, McGrath, Parish, Tipungwuti is one very good midfield with speed.

Did anybody bother to check stats? Our midfield won clearances convincingly. Yes, Bomber are faster there and got us a couple of times on spread but we actually cut through them several times too.

Fiorini was a major disappointment to the point I will not mind if he leaves in the off season. For the player in his 5th year and getting opportunity - the lack of effort in contest was very disappointing. Even Sharp was jogging better than Fiorini yesterday. It seems groin surgery in the off-season slowed him even more. But the lack of urgency in contest is no excuse. Similar to Sexton the previous game. You can’t show half-hearted efforts especially as a leader. I don’t want to see him on the wing ever again. And to play him inside - Brodie would be much better choice if opportunity arrives.

Corbett did provide link up. I did feel sorry for him when he was run down. I like his game and would persevere with him.

Flanders showed flashes what to expect in the future.

Interestingly, people bagging Powell became quiet. Fiorini could learn from him about contest, work rate, courage, kick.

Look at our percentage 101 if you don’t see any progress. The last year it was in 60.

Highlight had to be King’s goal - simply unbelievable. And a young supporter wanted him to be dropped? :)

I also loved how we moved the ball across the field 2 min to go leading to King’s kick that could win it for us. That was well executed play in a crucial stage.

Regarding future midfield - add Rowell. Anderson will be better next year and will spend more time inside. Both have burst away ability. Rankine, Flanders spending more time there in a couple of years (I hope) makes me excited. Next year I would also like to see Ainsworh spend more time in midfield too while his forward spot could be taken by Rosas. Yes, give me Merrett, Williams now and I will take it.

Well it’s the next morning and I can now see the positives of last nights draw

1. Rowell was out of his sling

the end

2. Free Big Mac

How many wins did the Lions get in that year before they took off? 5 or 6 wins, right? With a high percentage? Hopefully this is our version of that year and next year we just take off.

We should still beat North IMO. The Hawks are our only other realistic chance of a win. I don't have a lot of faith we'll beat Carlton, and Collingwood will have their players back for us. Tiges and Lions will probably smash us.
This is exactly it. In 2018 Brisbane were in most games but always game up short. Won 4-5 games that year. But you could feel things changing.
THIS is that year for the suns. 2019 was the game changer for Brisbane. 2021 will be that year for the suns.

Think about this time last year, could you imagined back then that within 12 months, the suns would have won 4, a draw and could have won a couple extra with 7 games left? There has been massive improvement since, and so I have all faith that next year, with another pre-season and hard work, they'll take that next step.

Eiffel 65

Cancelled
Sep 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Gryffindor
Just want to say that there's been a bit of talk in the media about whether Rankine made the right decision to go back and have a shot against Essendon.

Of course it was the right decision!!!!

He took that mark with 50 seconds remaining on the clock. Taking a full 30 seconds and launching the ball to the top of the square took away any opportunity Essendon had of potentially rebounding and scoring on transition.

There was never going to be a short option available as soon as he elected to take 30 seconds off the clock as Essendon had time to set their defense.

It's called game awareness and Rankine has it in spades. He took away the potential for a loss, with a worst case scenario of a draw and gave you every chance to win. How people in the media cannot see this baffles me. It's called playing the percentages.

Absolute gun player. Smart player. Love watching him play!!!!!!!!

Dec 3, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Just want to say that there's been a bit of talk in the media about whether Rankine made the right decision to go back and have a shot against Essendon.

Of course it was the right decision!!!!

He took that mark with 50 seconds remaining on the clock. Taking a full 30 seconds and launching the ball to the top of the square took away any opportunity Essendon had of potentially rebounding and scoring on transition.

There was never going to be a short option available as soon as he elected to take 30 seconds off the clock as Essendon had time to set their defense.

It's called game awareness and Rankine has it in spades. He took away the potential for a loss, with a worst case scenario of a draw and gave you every chance to win. How people in the media cannot see this baffles me. It's called playing the percentages.

Absolute gun player. Smart player. Love watching him play!!!!!!!!
Great call, tall poppy syndrome. The Australian curse

On SM-G960W using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I re-watched the game. Fiorini was actually decent in the 1st half. But yes, in the 2nd half he was very disappointing.

I also really liked what Corbett was doing. It will be interesting to see who goes out from our forward line for Tigers game as it seems that Sexton will be back.

Another fact illustrating where Suns are is the line-up. Half of the the team, 11 players were 22 years old or younger, including 7 players 20 years old or younger.

Last edited:
Back