Review Round 11 vs Giants, Giants Stadium, Saturday June 1st @ 1.45pm

Remove this Banner Ad

I have absolute faith in Dew so good on him for his selections but imagine being Will Brodie when the team was named and he found out that Schoenfeld and Horlin-Smith are ahead of him in the pecking order.
That’s a mighty public humiliation.
At the end of the day these bad selection calls will only cost the team wins a potentially Dew’s job in the future.

We will just have to wait and see I guess

Last edited:
I have absolute faith in Dew so good on him for his selections but imagine being Will Brodie when the team was named and he found out that Schoenfeld and Horlin-Smith are ahead of him in the pecking order.
I think internally there must be some level of acceptance that either Will wants to leave, or the club (mistakenly imo) doesn't see an upside in him.

I asked in the injury thread, but what is the deal with Harbrow? Surely can't be too serious.

Glad Schoenfeld is getting his chance, give him a few weeks and see where he is at. I reckon he moves to a wing, Weller moves back to HB.

GHS picked in front of him and contract extensions given to his 2 co-1st round selections in 2016 draft. Double whack!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

If we kept it to around 30 points. That would be a massive improvement.

Though GWS have had some very easy kills the past 2 weeks. They may come out not as hard at the contest as they should be.

Have a lunch on Saturday so I will miss this game, but here's hoping the lads put in a shift.

With all due respect to Schoenfeld and GHS, they should not be anywhere near our AFL team based on their previous performances. It's just a reality of them as players. IMO them playing still shows we lack depth in the midfield area.

The injuries are starting to mount.

Rankine, Collins, Miller, Hanley, Harbrow, Ainsworth. Hopefully we get some back soon.

With all due respect to Schoenfeld and GHS, they should not be anywhere near our AFL team based on their previous performances. It's just a reality of them as players. IMO them playing still shows we lack depth in the midfield area.

The injuries are starting to mount.

Rankine, Collins, Miller, Hanley, Harbrow, Ainsworth. Hopefully we get some back soon.
Yeah we need the bye quickly. Rankine, Collins and Hanley should all be back after the bye.

Hopefully Miller and Harbrow are healthy for next week.

Ainsworth should get in some more games before the end of the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think they know Brodie is going and don’t want to waste games on him
Seems like pretty safe speculation doesn't it? Having said that there has to be at least a little more to it - he hasn't been given gametime for years now.

I’m not completely against schoenfeld.
My biggest gripe against him is that he has no 5th gear.
Can run all day but stuck in third.
Makes it pretty hard to succeed as a winger without pace.
Maybe a Chris Masten comparison?

What I have liked is his ability to get forward, he hit the scoreboard in most games last year (albeit mostly behinds) and has on a number of occasions been the last guy in the chain standing alone in the goalsquare - presumably having pushed really hard down the far side of the ground.

Think he’s early his go with his NEAFL form.

Seems like pretty safe speculation doesn't it? Having said that there has to be at least a little more to it - he hasn't been given gametime for years now.
See I disagree with this. I think they genuinely must just be concerned with his defensive running.

I think if he wanted to leave, he would have gone last year like Scrim. The only reason Brodie would (IMO) want to leave, is that he would be getting offered more game time elsewhere. It would be a bit ironic and stupid for the coaches to 'no select him because they know he's going' when the most likely reason he'd be going is because he isn't being selected.

See I disagree with this. I think they genuinely must just be concerned with his defensive running.
Can't argue with this. Watching him as close as I can this year @ afl and Neafl level and haven't been surprised at all to see him miss selection most weeks.

I’m not completely against schoenfeld.
My biggest gripe against him is that he has no 5th gear.
Can run all day but stuck in third.
Makes it pretty hard to succeed as a winger without pace.
Maybe a Chris Masten comparison?

What I have liked is his ability to get forward, he hit the scoreboard in most games last year (albeit mostly behinds) and has on a number of occasions been the last guy in the chain standing alone in the goalsquare - presumably having pushed really hard down the far side of the ground.

Think he’s early his go with his NEAFL form.

It will be interesting to see him at AFL standard this year as there seems to be a lot of improvement in Darcy Mac, Powell & others under Francou. Dew must see a role for him because I don't think you'd offer him a 3 year deal on his training alone.

I think if he wanted to leave, he would have gone last year like Scrim. The only reason Brodie would (IMO) want to leave, is that he would be getting offered more game time elsewhere. It would be a bit ironic and stupid for the coaches to 'no select him because they know he's going' when the most likely reason he'd be going is because he isn't being selected.
I agree. I don't think Dew is deliberately not playing him because they think he wants to leave. If he was AFL standard then we'd play him to pump up his price and also improve the team this year.
There's a young bloke at Geelong Charlie Constable who is similar to Wil. He's averaging 22 disposals in his first year at AFL level yet Geelong continually drop him and they've said he needs to improve his running from contests. They've backed him in but they are firm in the standards they set. Dew is too.

Let's hope the NEAFL performance isn't a sign of things to come in this game! The boys need to get off to a good start otherwise this will be belting. Would really like to see Ben King break out in this game as I imagine his opponent for most of the day will be Lachie Keeffe and Keeffe often isn't an AFL standard player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back