Review Round 11 vs Hawks at TIO Stadium, Saturday 28th May, 7:40pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Would be devastating For the season if we drop this one, but the Hawks can play some good footy.

Hopefully its best case scenario for Rory, but not holding my breath.

Rory > Markov
Farrar > Bowes
Fiorini > Sharp
Not sure who comes out but Hollands in as well.

Don’t have much depth down back. Bowes played bits down there in the VFL so goes back until Farrar returns (hopefully not long). Maybe Ellis moves back? Please just not Swallow.

If we need a third tall who comes in. If I'm not mistaken we have to have someone undersized or Caleb Graham:eek:

I think Bowes for Farrar
I'd love Day for Rory but they won't do it
Wouldn't be surprised to see Secco for Mally
Constable too but not sure who's place he takes because not sure they'd drop Fiorini despite the fact he never seems to impact the contest

Thompson-Andrew, just do it he's going to be a star. Gives away a few kicks because he's not strong enough yet but think he can play on the mid size fwd.
Farrar- markov
Fiorini- hollands, reckon he could be the perfect mid/ fwd
Go with rosas one more, have a feeling Rowell may be injured though, if so constable.
Sharp could definitely come in if maybe they go weller back, could go with Ellis/ sharp wings

Bowes in for Farrar makes a lot of sense.

It looks like Hollands had a huge game in the VFL so I'd probably pick him to debut. I know people have said Rosas could go out but Holman was fairly quiet today as well which Dew could consider for Eli.

It felt like Fiorini did next to nothing today so I'd probably put Sharp in for him.

Day appears to have had a big game in the VFL but I highly doubt Dew will punish Chol or Casboult after having one off game. Unfortunately I think Sammy stays in the VFL for now unless Dew wanted to play him as a defender but I doubt that.

I reckon we'll just stick with Markov and go in a bit shorter next week with the likely news that Rory will be on the sidelines. Don't mind it considering it didn't seem to hurt us too much today (Naughton did next to nothing in the second half today).

I think Fiorini has to come out, two down weeks when we have people in the twos knocking down the door

Hopefully reward the form of the boys in the 2's.

Hollands, Constable, Sharp, Bowes, Flanders in the mix please.

Arguably the next two games in Darwin plus the game against Adelaide back home will be the most important three games for many years - both for the club and one Stewie Dew. Drop two of these three and the dogs will be howling - and all three games should not be considered easy wins or taken lightly. It'll be a nervous 21 days. I'd definitely give Constable and Hollands a game this week - and serious consideration to either Andrew or Day to be the missing tall down back. Sharp will be considered as Markov, Ellis, Weller etc not really setting the world on fire. Bowes also ready to come up after injury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I watched the first half replay late last night, Sharp seemed to he playing the sweeper role a lot yesterday, he might be one they bring in for Farrar. Hollands really impressed, then Constable, then Bowes, then Flanders. Still had Davies in the midfield as well, there's too much talent banging down the door to not let them in.

Arguably the next two games in Darwin plus the game against Adelaide back home will be the most important three games for many years - both for the club and one Stewie Dew. Drop two of these three and the dogs will be howling - and all three games should not be considered easy wins or taken lightly. It'll be a nervous 21 days. I'd definitely give Constable and Hollands a game this week - and serious consideration to either Andrew or Day to be the missing tall down back. Sharp will be considered as Markov, Ellis, Weller etc not really setting the world on fire. Bowes also ready to come up after injury.
Agree with all players suggested as options to come in except Andrew. As much I like his talent, he is far from ready to debut, IMHO.

Casboult seemed to slow down a bit. His knee may need a break. It will not happen but I would not be against Day replacing him. Day played well yesterday.

Last edited:
Is this the first match of the year that we'll go in as favourites with the bookies?
We were $4 against west coast when it first came out and we fly into favourites before the bounce.

We were $4 against west coast when it first came out and we fly into favourites before the bounce.
We're $1.72 favourites right now so unless Hawthorn pull off a major upset against Brisbane today, we should be the favourites both at the start of the week and just before the first bounce.

Arguably the next two games in Darwin plus the game against Adelaide back home will be the most important three games for many years - both for the club and one Stewie Dew. Drop two of these three and the dogs will be howling - and all three games should not be considered easy wins or taken lightly. It'll be a nervous 21 days.
I'm not as worried about North for obvious reasons but Hawthorn makes me a little nervous. It feels like a game we should win but the Hawks have had a few games this year where they've really shown up and performed well. Hopefully the Lions can soften them up a bit in Launceston today and their six day break vs our seven day break helps us. The teams around us on the ladder are about to run into some pretty difficult fixtures:

7th (24 points) Sydney - Richmond, Melbourne, BYE. The Swans could easily be winless over the next three weeks.
8th (24 points) Richmond - Sydney, BYE, Port Adelaide. Richmond could also be winless over the next three weeks.
9th (20 points) Bulldogs - West Coast, Geelong, BYE. Should beat West Coast but will probably lose to Geelong.
10th (16 points) Port Adelaide - Essendon, BYE, Richmond. Should beat Essendon but could definitely lose to Richmond.
11th (16 points) Collingwood - Fremantle, Carlton, Hawthorn, BYE. Should beat Hawthorn but that's probably their only win over the next month.
12th (16 points) Gold Coast - Hawthorn, North Melbourne, BYE. Should win both games.

It looks very likely that we'll be tied 8th on the ladder going into the bye if we take care of business against Hawthorn and North. These two games in Darwin are non-negotiables. Must wins. No excuses.

So what’s your choice to replace Thompson and Farrar in defence and what is your prediction the club will actually do? I assume Hawks will play 2 2m forwards, L + K. People here have allergy to Graham but he is best defender in VFL. Day will not play in defence as he does not play there in VFL. Maybe Brock could play on 3rd tall. My left field solution: Move Casboult back where he impressed me most during his career and recall Day to play forward.

So what’s your choice to replace Thompson and Farrar in defence and what is your prediction the club will actually do? I assume Hawks will play 2 2m forwards, L + K. People here have allergy to Graham but he is best defender in VFL. Day will not play in defence as he does not play there in VFL. Maybe Brock could play on 3rd tall. My left field solution: Move Casboult back where he impressed me most during his career and recall Day to play forward.
Graham to come in unfortunately, bit light now Brock/Andrew not ready yet.

Nah casboult is too important to our forward structure, especially in the wet slippery conditions we will have in Darwin. We will need him making a contest to give our smalls the best chance

Your choice?
Graham to Kos, Collins takes Lewis with Ballard intercepting/help defence.
Kos doesn't worry me too much but Lewis is good through the air, luckily it should be wet abs slippery so overhead marking will be at a premium. Just need to halve contests and trust Budda and Lemmo to win their ground ball contests.

Graham is our best defender in the VFL but he is iffy when he takes the step up to AFL.
I'm aware that he is only young and it takes time to learn the key defender role and hope he takes the leap to being an elite KPD.
Nothing would please me more if that happens but hard to see right now.
Here's hoping he has a fantastic game if he gets the call up and makes us eat humble pie

I'd like to think our recruiters would be aware enough to draft another state league key defender at the MSD next week so we don't have to rely on Graham going forward. Surely there's someone else out there that can do a better job than Graham...

Liam Jones anyone?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back