Unofficial Preview Round 11 vs Hawks in Launceston

Remove this Banner Ad

One stat scares me - the Hawks have only lost 1 of their last 24 games in Launceston, so they obviously play/know the ground well. If we can pull this off, it'll be a helluva win.
Didn’t we beat them last time we played in Launceston? Plus we have a great record against the hawks.

In our last 2 games coming back from a bye we've lost both games by 2 points.

Round 10 vs Geelong + The Elim Final vs WCE.

Before that (Past post-bye games under Hinkley)
2016: Beat Richmond by 38 points.
2015: Lost to Sydney by 10 points.
2014: Beat Hawthorn by 14 points.
2013: Beat GWS by 75 points.

I'm a bit worried about the break because our starts have already been bad enough as it is and it translates IMO to poor itensity through the week at training, and taking a while to adapt to the tempo of games. As such after a full break I am certainly concerned that it could be a bigger slow start than we've already been bringing out.

Two options - we either wallow in the s**t with the rest of the pigs, which is what we will do if we keep playing the way we have been...or we pull ourselves out of the mire and become the side that we were born to be.

Our 13 game season to finish 1st starts now.

I'm a bit nervous about this one tbh. We have the ability to grind them into dust but we need to be switched on. I feel like this game is an excellent opportunity to see where we're at.

I'm a bit worried
ahhh ... normal transmission is resumed. Unchanged side unchanged post in preview :D
FWIW i'm the same. I'm convinced we've got the talent but I don't trust this team yet. On any given play i'm expecting to see a clanger
thrown in or an easy goal missed. Hoping against hope we start running into form by minimising mistakes and kicking accurately.
Carn Ports impose yourselves and make a statement to the comp. Make it look easy for once.

I'm a bit worried about the break because our starts have already been bad enough as it is and it translates IMO to poor itensity through the week at training, and taking a while to adapt to the tempo of games. As such after a full break I am certainly concerned that it could be a bigger slow start than we've already been bringing out.

Yeah, this. I’ve got no idea who’s winning this but I’d just about put my house on Hawthorn being ahead at quarter time.

Looking at our game after the bye last year, the infamous 30 second shot clock loss to Geelong we came out pretty well after our bye. Nothing Hawthorn have overly concerns me if we are on our game from the get go. If we let them get their tails up we will have issues. Stomp on them early and we should have the game under control.

Worried as per normal as this is what we have come to expect under Hinkley. Until that changes, we will be mid-table for a long-time, would love for it to be different but you just know we are more capable of coming out being switched 'off' rather than 'on'. You just know it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The last time we played Hawthorn in Launceston on my birthday, we won. And we made the finals.

See where I'm going with this? ;)

You hit the nail on the head with that comment. When you said that I had a look at our starts so far. Against Brisbane we conceded the first two goals, against Essendon the first three, against Geelong the first two; North Melbourne, Gold Coast and West Coast all kicked the first goal and against Adelaide after Paddy Ryder's first goal they kicked seven of the next eight.
As everyone is aware we start badly but we could win our first quarters with a bit better kicking. It also looks like it takes a bit of time for our midfield and defence to gel as teams are pretty accurate against us in the first quarter, scoring 29.18 to our 24.29. We are actually a bit worse in the second quarter with 24.25 to the opposition 31.23.
Third quarters are a huge difference for us and we have had three 7 goal 3rd quarters and one 6 goal 3rd quarter for 45.22 to 21.22. We drop off badly in final quarters with 17.29 to 26.11. Had we scored 29.17 in last quarters our percentage would be over 116 and not 108.1.

I was confident until i watched all the footy shows and news last night and then read this thread.

The general consensus was that Hawthorn should win, which is the opposite of what i was thinking. Dale Lewis picked Port in an upset, and i was like hang on wtf is going on here is it 2015? On fox footy they'd all tipped Hawthorn besides Cameron Mooney and Leigh Montagna.

I must say i don't pay much attention to sides other than Port, because i thought Hawthorn were struggling.

I was confident until i watched all the footy shows and news last night and then read this thread.

The general consensus was that Hawthorn should win, which is the opposite of what i was thinking. Dale Lewis picked Port in an upset, and i was like hang on wtf is going on here is it 2015? On fox footy they'd all tipped Hawthorn besides Cameron Mooney and Leigh Montagna.

I must say i don't pay much attention to sides other than Port, because i thought Hawthorn were struggling.

Serves you right for watching footy shows. :p

Played pretty good after the bye last year, that would've been a famous victory at Kardinia Park had Dixon kicked that goal and not run the shot clock down. They should be refreshed and ready to go.

Ken's plan should be to tell the guys to come out hard and stack on the first 10 or 15 goals

#coachingiseasy
Ken's plan should be to tell them pre-game, that they've just come out of the half time changerooms, where a hypnotist has wiped the first half from their memories. We're 3 goals down so they need to stop absorbing and do the usual 3rd quarter start attacking.

Ken's plan should be to tell them pre-game, that they've just come out of the half time changerooms, where a hypnotist has wiped the first half from their memories. We're 3 goals down so they need to stop absorbing and do the usual 3rd quarter start attacking.

100%

what is with our slow starts?

this is why i hate Hinkley, he gets to the airport and give a 10 minute sermon on how FIGJAM the team is, then he wonders why they lose. How about shutting your mouth for 5 seconds and if you have to say something remind them all of the three years of failure, this has all the hallmarks of the essendon game so far

Remove this Banner Ad

Back