Review Round 11 vs Hawthorn @ Sydney Cricket Ground (29.05.21 - 7:40pm)

Remove this Banner Ad

Plenty been calling for him to be dropped here for a long time.. I have been a longtime supporter I’ll never forget when he came around the fence in cairns to the supporters and thanked us after 300mm of rain
There was a phase of his career maybe 2 or 3 years ago where he was averaging around 22 touches but just butchering the ball whenever he had it. His disposal this season is squeaky clean, the improvement is really noticeable. To the point where outside of Lukosius, I want Touk kicking the ball nowadays.

Honestly don't know what people expect of Sexxy other than what he produced tonight.
We should maybe get him a #BigFootyWhippingBoy t-shirt
I do agree it's either him or Ben Ainsworth though which is bad news for Benny
One bad moment for me with that on the run outside right foot check side shot from the left fwd pocket boundary line that had literally 0% chance of going in. Would have liked him to stop on a dime and look inside for a short pass target.

Otherwise thought he was quite good, got involved up the ground a lot more than usual which I like because he is a nice long quick and always looks to move it on quickly to our forwards advantage.
Marked it quite well which was pleasing and kind of surprising.

Most possessions since 2018 and most marks since 2017 to give with his 3 goals. Very nice game.

I thought. Rosas being a left footer added quite a bit.

We don't have any good left foot kicks - Holman our only regular.

..Atkins as well I suppose

Most pleasingly was an even effort across the whole game, won every qtr.

Qtr1 - 4.5.29 - won the qtr by 9
Qtr 2 - 6.3.39 - won the qtr by 18
Qtr 3 - 3.2.20 - won the qtr by 7
Qtr 4 - 4.1.25 - won the qtr by 2

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, Atkins had 3 goal assists and 7 score involvements. Certainly his kicking into 50 is a highlight. Absolute bullet passes rather than our usual bombs!

He is more polished than Ellis, but gets it far less. Ellis seems harder in the contest and seems more physical, but tackles and pressure acts that game weren’t too different between them, so I need a bigger sample size than 3 games. Ellis just has a presence that Atkins doesn’t seem to have when watching live or on TV.

But if his role is to deliver into 50 as a finisher, then that’s ok. A good team carries players like Atkins so that they can deliver it cleanly to the forward line. Hopefully we become a good team.

Would like him to get a little more of the ball though. I think a few more chains a game and his impact will be felt. Time will tell. Not sold yet, but there are small signs.

I watched the Kayo mini this morning (after watching my Stamford Bridge Heroes deliver-:D:D)and it's amazing how often Atkins bobbed up in plays leading to goals
I don't think the Club would be as unhappy with his game as some here
He had 3 goal assists and 7 score involvements from his 13 possessions.

When he has ball in hand forward of centre, we're a good chance to score.

Just want him to bring a bit more edge

I said drop rankine I also criticised dew.. let’s see how both perform against an attacking side! We have see how we play against sides when we get it on our terms attacking but when we have to switch it up against an attacking side we get out coached/played #stkilda
We all make comment , I am not talking about you but those that said don't be negative on Sexton . Everybody are entitled to their own opinion . Touk is a b grader ( don't know about delist material ) , rather than statement like obviously Touk work on his weakness , why don't he or she admit they are wrong,

Burgess it .

Last edited:
I thought. Rosas being a left footer added quite a bit.

We don't have any good left foot kicks - Holman our only regular.

..Atkins as well I suppose
Really , over half his 11 possessions were clangers , Flanders was quiet in his first couple of games but had at least some composure. Was really disappointed in some of his efforts including a crazy fly for a mark and a non competive effort in the goal square. Can't justify him playing in front of Ainsworth just because of the foot he kicks with, it's not accurate or penetrating anyway

Really , over half his 11 possessions were clangers , Flanders was quiet in his first couple of games but had at least some composure. Was really disappointed in some of his efforts including a crazy fly for a mark and a non competive effort in the goal square. Can't justify him playing in front of Ainsworth just because of the foot he kicks with, it's not accurate or penetrating anyway
Yeah, I don't think he really used it to full effect - although 11 disposals, 8 effective possessions - efficiency was 72.7% so your clanger claim is incorrect.

I'm not suggesting he gets picked purely because of the left foot.

What I'm trying to say is the left foot and his movements gave him a bit of space on a number of occasions and added a point of difference.

He's a 19 year old in his 2nd game. I think he did ok keeping that in mind. You may have, but I've not put a line through him.

Ben is obviously a better player right now, but he had absolutely stunk for a few weeks and needed a run in the 2's. He looked good in the reserves game yesterday, so hopefully it did him good.

I like Rosa , Sharp and McLennan playing some AFL game . Ainsworth and Sexton already got plenty AFL game experience not going to improve much , especially Sexton.

* Only select Sexton against winnable opposition . Not an easy fix based on GCS playing Finals history .

Agree and we should remember he's only played 7 games since 2019- still probably only in 2nd or 3rd gear
No preseason for Atkins either.

Our forwards will very quickly start loving him if he keeps hitting them lace out like that. We have traditionally had very few players capable of doing what he can forward of centre.

Zac Smith was out fourth highest rated player on the ground according to AFL Player Ratings. Not sure how they generate that (normally accurate to the eye test) but I don't understand that one. He must be doing something that I haven't noticed really really well.

To be fair I don't recall any "delist" posts but I put my hand up as someone who thought his ceiling was B/B+
So pleased for him
Pardon the intrusion but just wanted to post on how impressed I was with Touk's game last night.

On a match where skills weren't great from either side he really stood out with his clean disposal and smooth moving.

Honestly I hadn't heard a peep about Touk down here in Vic in the media but after last nights performance (Gold Coast are always a little off broadway) I did a check on how he is going this year and his stats are elite.

Has he always been this good or is this year one out of the box? He seems to have been around a while.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back