Autopsy Round 11 vs Western Bulldogs @ TIO Stadium, Darwin - 27/05/23 - 7:25pm

Remove this Banner Ad

You always have to beat the umps when you play the dogs, especially when that little cheat weightman is playing. He basically beat Essendon in a final from getting 5 goals from free kicks in 2021, im shocked the umpires still fall for his acting in every single contest he is in.
Which of the five were from him cheating?

amazing how Luko can kick 5.0 in the worst conditions for a key forward but go 0.10 in perfect conditions
He must read the play so we’ll. Had 3 tap ins tonight. And was a few metres away from another of farrar could have hit him with that easy pop over the top.

Last week he also had 1 and was 10cm too late on another the just trickled over the goal line.

I have to say I could not enjoy the win as I would normally do due to umpiring. Hard to describe the level of incompetence, bias or whatever it is but it takes enjoyment out of the game. It's not just a couple of calls and not only this game.

Anyway, that was the worst possible start to the game with a season on the line. Credit to boys they got into it and the team played well after that. I thought most players contributed even Andrew after shaking start made some important plays late in the game.

Defence stood up well under huge number of balls going there. Ballard in AA form.

One of the rare games we took our opportunities (except King).

It was a great battle in the middle. I thought Witts was immense and very aggressive against English. Rowell, what he did after HT was unbelievable.

Luko is bloody smart. Do people still think he is lazy? He worked his ass off.

Mostly Bulldogs crowd (on TV) was disappointing.

Thanks 🐻

Last edited:
Good mention of witts, I reckon he changed the game as it looked like he might struggle against English early on. He is an unbelievable leader and a lot of his work goes unrecognised. I had him 2nd best only behind the inspirational rowelly 😍

Yes, I liked Jeffrey at half back. Much like Andrew, he’s a good kick but seems to want to take the aggressive option a lot which is risky. If they can both just sometimes play the percentage then they have the speed and leap to be good down back. He’s sort of interchangeable with Farrar, who maybe can play more wing instead next week as he looked alright.

Some other take always:

Anderson and Rowell bounced back after last week’s pasting. Rowell had an immense second half. Man he looks good when he turns out of the centre in his running arc.

Still need more from Fiorini and Davies. Low CBA and disposal numbers. Not really getting to the contest much. Did some things, but need more consistency there. If we replaced one with a VFL mid, I would’t mind.

Both have been overtaken by Humphrey in the last few games. This kid is a gun; still fades out after blistering first half, but hitting that goal in the end was absolutely clutch.

Swallow and Humphrey are also perfect resting forwards. Strong, good hands, quick snaps.

Ainsworth was better, but still not up to his usual standard. That cross to Luko though was perfect.

Ballard needs to be talked up by someone in the media to get some recognition. It’s embarrassing how much he is being slept on. Intercepting King Charles deserves more love.

I’ve never thought Luko was lazy. Just the way he runs/plays creates that impression. That and he goes in and out of games. Kicked 18 goals this year, with a few solid bags. Averages 3 shots on goal a game (1.6 goals, 1.4 behinds), so certainly getting plenty of looks in.

Not the thread buddy.
Are you proud of these kind of ‘acts’

No - if you look at my post history you'll find that I have said several times I want him to stop it and that it's a poor look. But you'll also see that Cody on average receives 1.2 free kicks per game on average, so outside of him looking like a fool, it's not deciding games.

On the Essendon question - if it's the thread for other posters to slander Cody, then surely it's the same thread to at least ask the question. The answer is that Cody didn't blatantly flop for any of the free kicks he received in the 2021 elimination final.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had drinks with family and friends before the game so was highly sauced towards the end but * I really enjoyed that win. The belief is there in the group now, you can see it.

The backline in particular looked A grade last night but our midfield is now consistently showing we can beat the best. If Rowell and Nando play at this level, Humphrey develops further and Touk comes back getting fed by Witts would have to be the most unstoppable clearance midfield in the comp within 12 months imo. The way Rowell and Ando play in particular is so dynamic with a rare mix of contested prowess, power and acceleration out of the stoppage. Then you add Humper who's another bull and an elite mid in Touk. Such a beautiful thiung to watch when we're on. Genuinely enjoyable.

Yes, I liked Jeffrey at half back. Much like Andrew, he’s a good kick but seems to want to take the aggressive option a lot which is risky. If they can both just sometimes play the percentage then they have the speed and leap to be good down back. He’s sort of interchangeable with Farrar, who maybe can play more wing instead next week as he looked alright.

Some other take always:

Anderson and Rowell bounced back after last week’s pasting. Rowell had an immense second half. Man he looks good when he turns out of the centre in his running arc.

Still need more from Fiorini and Davies. Low CBA and disposal numbers. Not really getting to the contest much. Did some things, but need more consistency there. If we replaced one with a VFL mid, I would’t mind.

Both have been overtaken by Humphrey in the last few games. This kid is a gun; still fades out after blistering first half, but hitting that goal in the end was absolutely clutch.

Swallow and Humphrey are also perfect resting forwards. Strong, good hands, quick snaps.

Ainsworth was better, but still not up to his usual standard. That cross to Luko though was perfect.

Ballard needs to be talked up by someone in the media to get some recognition. It’s embarrassing how much he is being slept on. Intercepting King Charles deserves more love.

I’ve never thought Luko was lazy. Just the way he runs/plays creates that impression. That and he goes in and out of games. Kicked 18 goals this year, with a few solid bags. Averages 3 shots on goal a game (1.6 goals, 1.4 behinds), so certainly getting plenty of looks in.
I thought Davies was pretty good last night, was more involved and fumbled less than usual. Best game I've seen from Andrew too.

So much talent there and they are starting to stay in games now. Would love to see Hollands back in on a wing.

Humphrey/Anderson/Miller/Rowell is such an exciting midfield group.

Some of that umpiring was ridiculous. The 50 against Ainsworth the worst of a lot of bad decisions. It's not a one off either, which is concerning.

No - if you look at my post history you'll find that I have said several times I want him to stop it and that it's a poor look.

"Poor look" doing some very heavy lifting....

What will you do when it does decide a game, as it nearly did here?
Where would you be posting if the Dogs had got up and won? Would you post here? Would you not post?
Apologise? Or hit the theasaurus for some alternative words?
Look for evidence that it is 'embellishment' over 'dishonesty'? Sorry, they are not the same thing.
There were 25 other players that got through the game without that question mark.
Its 'honestly' not that hard.

"Poor look" doing some very heavy lifting....

What will you do when it does decide a game, as it nearly did here?
Where would you be posting if the Dogs had got up and won? Would you post here? Would you not post?
Apologise? Or hit the theasaurus for some alternative words?
Look for evidence that it is 'embellishment' over 'dishonesty'? Sorry, they are not the same thing.
There were 25 other players that got through the game without that question mark.
Its 'honestly' not that hard.
The umps have wised up to Ginnivan, same will happen to Weightman. Especially if the media start highlighting it.

Well done Gold Coast, played very well yesterday, and deserved the win, if we had pinched it it wouldn’t have been deserved.

You have a beauty in Humphrey, and you don’t seem to be missing Touk at all, which is a good sign and a worry for the rest of the competition.

I agree some of the umpiring in that last quarter was bewildering, but I wouldn’t be listening to Brisbane supporters who lead the free kick count and the fact that Gold Coast rarely loses the free kick count.

Well done Gold Coast, played very well yesterday, and deserved the win, if we had pinched it it wouldn’t have been deserved.

You have a beauty in Humphrey, and you don’t seem to be missing Touk at all, which is a good sign and a worry for the rest of the competition.

I agree some of the umpiring in that last quarter was bewildering, but I wouldn’t be listening to Brisbane supporters who lead the free kick count and the fact that Gold Coast rarely loses the free kick count.

I don’t believe free kicks should be even. Last night, for instance, I wasn’t complaining too much about the lack of frees we were given in the first half (we had 2, both in a row, late in the 2nd btw), but more so the frees given to Bulldogs in that time.

But the fact the free kick count wasn’t close to even wasn’t unfair; just odd.

Now the second half however… I think you’ll find a t widely accepted it was not correctly adjudicated in our favour in several instances.

But Suns rarely “win” the count, usually by a couple, if at all, and had a lot of even ledgers. Still down across the season and in the bottom half dozen teams. This link you posted was also from rd 8, so doesn’t take into account recent games that people on this thread are complaining about.

Mac Andrew over 500m gained at 73%. 3 turnovers but 6 intercept possessions. Very impressive from someone who has only played defence for the past 2 years.

Fiorini 10 touches at 50%. Looks like swallow and the bear have taken his midfield minutes, just 1 center bounce appearance. If Fiorini isn't playing midfield I can't see him earning his spot.

you don’t seem to be missing Touk at all, which is a good sign and a worry for the rest of the competition
It's exciting, to have Miller and Weller to come in and add some run and good ball use. With Flanders, Hollands and Ellis not out there as well

Mac Andrew over 500m gained at 73%. 3 turnovers but 6 intercept possessions. Very impressive from someone who has only played defence for the past 2 years.

Fiorini 10 touches at 50%. Looks like swallow and the bear have taken his midfield minutes, just 1 center bounce appearance. If Fiorini isn't playing midfield I can't see him earning his spot.

It's exciting, to have Miller and Weller to come in and add some run and good ball use. With Flanders, Hollands and Ellis not out there as well
For me, Andrew allows Ballard to play a more natural game too. Overall, a third tall (especially against a tall forward line) is a net positive. He should only get better too.

Fiorini is a big, big concern. The article when Touk went down suggested he would be taking his role. He has not even come close to that though. Barely any time on ball or at centre bounce. Had one good entry forward, the rest were dump kicks. Major alarm bells there.

Weller will make us a lot better. Even if ready next week, I’d probably give him until after the bye to be perfect. No point bringing him back to the place where he did his knee last year. When he plays he adds a lot of pace and skill, so could be in for a big second half of the year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back