Preview Round 12 – Adelaide Crows vs GWS Giants, Saturday 8th June, Adelaide Oval, 7.40pm, EST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
Zzzzzzzzz…

Sorry. Must have dozed off at half time.

What’s that? We scored nine goals five in the last quarter? Why didn’t anyone say anything? I was only just resting my eyes you know.

It’s not like there was any noise in the stadium to rouse me, not with only 7,581 people present. And never mind those 27,000 members the club says we’ve got. They must have had other things to do.

Perhaps they were focusing on next week’s assignment in Adelaide. They might have seen the latest betting markets, who have us going in as reasonably priced favourites.

What a turnaround. I’m sure we all remember the pervading sense of gloom going into last year’s away match against the Crows. After weeks of truly dreadful form, the unexpected maiden win in the City of Churches was the proverbial season-defining game.

Adelaide are certainly unpredictable this year, losing to Hawthorn, Geelong and West Coast at home, as well as Brisbane and North on the road. Their wins have come against teams beneath them on the ladder, including Sydney, the Suns, the Saints, the Dockers, and Port. They were lucky to beat the Demons yesterday. And they’ll almost certainly lose Rory Sloane to a hamstring injury this week, which won’t help.

But I don’t know if we can justify being such clear favourites. Our last month has seen the bad loss to Hawthorn and three easy wins against the bottom three teams, in Carlton, Melbourne, and Gold Coast. I know the Crows aren’t exactly setting the world on fire, but our recent run is not good preparation for something more challenging. And look what happened against Melbourne when we switched off in the last quarter.

The only possible change I can see this week is the return of Zac Williams for Lachie Keeffe. If Whitfield is out, Keeffe stays and it becomes a question of who moves into Whitfield’s spot.

Getting it right mentally is the key to us winning. I think we can, but it probably won’t be that comfortable or convincing as the bookmakers seem to think.

Prove me wrong, Giants.

Last edited:
It’s not like there was any noise in the stadium to rouse me, not with only 7,581 people present. And never mind those 27,000 members the club says we’ve got. They must have had other things to do.

26% of the membership turn out to watch the Suns

Beats the 20% of Richmond’s membership who turn out to watch the Suns in the heart of footy heartland or the 21% of Hawthorns membership who watch them - or the 20% of Essendon’s membership who turned up to a covered indoor stadium last time they played at home.

Don’t feed the bulls#*t narrative - suns don’t draw - anywhere - let alone on the footy frontier.

26% of the membership turn out to watch the Suns

Beats the 20% of Richmond’s membership who turn out to watch the Suns in the heart of footy heartland or the 21% of Hawthorns membership who watch them - or the 20% of Essendon’s membership who turned up to a covered indoor stadium last time they played at home.

Don’t feed the bulls#*t narrative - suns don’t draw - anywhere - let alone on the footy frontier.

Well over half the membership turned out for the Suns game in Sydney a few years ago when our membership was just over 15,000..the relative decline yesterday was obvious.

There seems to be a disconnect between membership numbers and how many are turning up. I think it's reasonable to draw attention to it.

Can't find any news on Whitfield's injury on the clubs social media accounts. He did look hurt though.

Only change I can see is Taylor in for Keefe. Williams might come back in but I’m not so sure- he might need a run in the twos to ensure he is right to go

Sloan’s our hurts them but crouch might return- either way we need to string together the road wins

The key will be winning the midfield battle and containing their potent forward line. We will need the tall defenders (Davis, Taylor/Keefe and Haynes) to mark Jenkins, Lynch and Walker and the small defenders (likely Shaw and Kenners) will need to find a way to contain Betts and Murphy.

First of 2 tough road trips too end the 1st half of the season and the Crows look to be performing below expectations this year and being at the Adelaide oval I see the odds as being even to slightly in the Crows favour and with the 3 weeks of training runs behind the team they will need to be switched on for this game
Crows have a very short injury list with only Doedee and Jacobs to likely play reserves and then M Crouch likely to slot straight bakc in with Sloane unlikely due to a hamstring
The strong performance means again it will likely be minimal changes and it looks like Whitfield will be ok but not sure on what happened to Greene? Some kind of muscle awareness?Taylor likely to come straight back in and a few others are pressing claims but I think the stronger chances will be Hately and Williams if he gets up and possibly Lloyd if a spot opens up for him but my team would be

Shaw Davis Reid
Kennedy Taylor Haynes
Kelly Taranto Whitfield
Greene Cameron MDB
Daniels HH Deledio
Mumford Coniglio Hopper
Tomlinson TOJ Perryman Williams/Cumming/Hately

Keefe a chance if they want a 3rd KPD with Haynes floating and Hately if he doesnt make it likely the travelling emergency to his home state

The first part of this tweet was really important after last weeks fade out int he final term where GWS really should've put the sword to the Demons.

A 9 goal to 2 final term would've kept Leon and the leadership group happy post game, they need to be ruthless from here on in.

Coniglio fit makes a big difference. He's been down the last few weeks and I really think he's just been carrying a niggle possibly with lingering effects of his hand injury.

If Whitfield is sore I wouldn't mind seeing more of Shipley or Hately.

Whitfield our. Here’s my take:

Haynes Davis Shaw
Kennedy Taylor Williams
Kelly Cogs Tomlinson
Lids CAMERON Finlayson
Daniels HH Greene
Mummy Taranto Hopper

Hately (because its in his home state and he is cracking in in the neafl) DeBoer Perryman Reid

Last edited:
More important for Williams to make it back for this week and provide some run and if Cumming stays in hopefully he can get some more of the ball

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whitfield our for at least a month. Williams unlikely to be back after a week if it’s a hammy. Toby May be out. Here’s my take:

Haynes Davis Shaw
Kennedy Taylor Reid
Kelly Cogs Tomlinson
Lids CAMERON Finlayson
Daniels HH Langdon
Mummy Taranto Hopper

Cumming DeBoer Perryman Hately
Possible Adelaide side.

B: Brown, Talia, Hartigan
HB: Smith, KEATH, Laird
C: Seedsman, Mrouch, Milera
HF: Lynch, Jenkins, Gallucci
F: Betts, Walker, Greenwood
R: O'Brien, Gibbs, Brouch
I: Kelly, CEY, Mackay, McHenry

Whitfield out, perhaps Greene too (presuming GWS will be cautious with his injuries again). Hopefully Taylor is fit to return - we need his better manouevrability. Zac Williams a possibility, but I won't be surprised if he gets another week to recover.

Hately the standout player for us in NEAFL at the moment and deserves a few games in first grade I think. Dan Lloyd an option up front to return if Greene is out.

Sam Reid has been used as a utility; stopper, defender for the last 2 weeks, and could move around as required. De Boer another tagging role on Rory (if fit) on Crouch.

Haynes Davis Shaw
Kennedy Taylor Cumming
Kelly Cogs Tomlinson
Lids Cameron Finlayson
Daniels HH Langdon/Lloyd
Mummy Taranto Hopper

Reid DeBoer Perryman Hately

Whitfield out, perhaps Greene too (presuming GWS will be cautious with his injuries again). Hopefully Taylor is fit to return - we need his better manouevrability. Zac Williams a possibility, but I won't be surprised if he gets another week to recover.

Hately the standout player for us in NEAFL at the moment and deserves a few games in first grade I think. Dan Lloyd an option up front to return if Greene is out.

Sam Reid has been used as a utility; stopper, defender for the last 2 weeks, and could move around as required. De Boer another tagging role on Rory (if fit) on Crouch.

Haynes Davis Shaw
Kennedy Taylor Cumming
Kelly Cogs Tomlinson
Lids Cameron Finlayson
Daniels HH Langdon/Lloyd
Mummy Taranto Hopper

Reid DeBoer Perryman Hately
Has anyone from within the club confines confirmed the Whitfield injury? Most of the rumour seems to be coming from someone who is apparently notorious for posting rubbish rumours. I know the injury update will be out later today, but if he required surgery, I'm surprised nothing has been forthcoming from the club to this point.

Has anyone from within the club confines confirmed the Whitfield injury? Most of the rumour seems to be coming from someone who is apparently notorious for posting rubbish rumours. I know the injury update will be out later today, but if he required surgery, I'm surprised nothing has been forthcoming from the club to this point.
Yeah it was odd the club stated that it was just a stinger and could've come back on and now Whitfield is in surgery for a cracked collarbone. I've never done a collarbone but know people who have and from my experience they look very painful, Whitfield didn't look too bad on the bench and post game.

Yeah it was odd the club stated that it was just a stinger and could've come back on and now Whitfield is in surgery for a cracked collarbone. I've never done a collarbone but know people who have and from my experience they look very painful, Whitfield didn't look too bad on the bench and post game.

They showed vision of him getting poked and prodded and he didn't seem in too much discomfort. Unless it's a hairline fracture, in which case I'm not sure why you'd need surgery...

Good to see Williams get up for the game and hopefully he can have a positive impact with his run and kicking
Happy to see Cumming retain his place in the side and hopefully he isnt exposed by the Crows mature bodies at some stages of the game
Sloane to be a late out maybe?

Look I think today is once again season defining for us in Adelaide. It was last year but I think it might be again.

Three easy weeks mean bugger all in the lead up and has me questioning if we are flat track bullies. Geelong away was a great game but our losses to west coast, freo etc paint a picture of a team that rarely stands up when it gets tough.

We need to change that image. I think that transition will have a key landmark tonight in front of 50,000 opposition fans against a decent crows team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back