Preview Round 12 – Sydney Swans vs GWS Giants, Thursday 13th August 2020, Optus Stadium, 8.10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
SYDNEY SWANS v GWS GIANTS

Thursday August 13, 8.10pm at Optus Stadium

SWANS

B: C.O’Riordan, D.Rampe, L.Melican

HB: J.Lloyd, J.Thurlow, J.Dawson

C: H.Cunningham, L.Parker, O.Florent

HF: W.Hayward, T.McCartin, J.Bell

F: T.Papley, S.Reid, S.Wicks

FOLL: C.Sinclair, J.Rowbottom, C.Mills

I/C: N.Blakey, R.Fox, Z.Foot, D.Stephens

EMG: S.Gray, C.Warner, R.Clarke, H.McLean

IN: C.O’Riordan, N.Blakey, Z.Foot

OUT: A.Aliir (Injured), M.Ling (Omitted), E.Taylor (Omitted)

GIANTS

B: H.Shaw, L.Keefe, A.Corr

HB: Z.Williams, N.Haynes, L.Ash

C: J.Caldwell, S.Coniglio, H.Perryman

HF: Z.Langdon, J.Cameron, L.Whitfield

F: B.Daniels, H.Himmelberg, J.Finlayson

FOLL: S.Jacobs, J.Kelly, T.Taranto

I/C: J.Hopper, C.Ward, T.Hutchesson, X.O’Halloran

EMG: J.Riccardi, C.Idun, A.Kennedy, S.Mumford

IN: S.Jacobs, T.Hutchesson

OUT: P.Davis (Injured), S.Mumford (Managed)

John Longmire: Hello Leon.

Leon Cameron: Oh…hello John. How’s things?

John Longmire: Mate it’s that time of the year again, we’re playing you guys next Thursday night in Perth.

Leon Cameron: Oh yeah…so we are. What round is it this week?

John Longmire: Wouldn’t have the faintest. It’s a seven-day break for us and six for you, and there’s a bye in there somewhere, but who knows? We just show up and hope for the best.

Leon Cameron: Yeah, there’s a bit of that going around at the moment isn’t there, just like this virus thing. And what’s all this stuff about the Colliwobbles going inside your 50 by 15-to-1 in a single quarter and scores end up the same?

John Longmire: Mate, there’s Buckley’s chance of me answering that one.

Leon Cameron: I know how you feel. At quarter time last night, I thought Woosha and I must have told them to run out and not kick goals.

John Longmire: Well they certainly listened. So, what’s the go for Thursday?

Leon Cameron: I wish I knew. My boys seem to like flicking themselves on and off all the time. It’s a bloody nuisance. What about yours?

John Longmire: Well, I’m playing kids at the moment. There’s no one else anyway. At least the kids have a go, a bit like Woosha’s boys last night. We might end up putting on a show.

Leon Cameron: Yeah, you might. What about Buddy?

John Longmire: Is he still on our list? I haven’t seen him around for ages. We’re still paying him, so I suppose he must be. But no, he’s not coming.

Leon Cameron: What a relief. Footy Phil hurt his knee last night, I don’t know whether we’re taking him yet. Might have to bring someone else, but don’t know who.

John Longmire: Who’s this X guy?

Leon Cameron: New kid on the block. Did all right. Time will tell. Mate I notice you’ve got a few supporters over there?

John Longmire: Yeah, we do. I reckon it’s going be just like a home game when the members show up. You know what I mean?

Leon Cameron: Only too well. At least our guy over in Perth will get his money’s worth.

John Longmire: Well mate, nice chatting. Should be a very interesting derby this time.

Leon Cameron: That’s just what I’m afraid of.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're thinking of Richmond...
No no - Richmond boys flick each other off, not themselves!

OK, so after a normal break between games, I am hoping that GWS assert themselves against the Swans. For all the relief at the result against the Bombers (and credit to the boys for digging themselves out of the hole with a hard-fought second half) they once again played poorly for a large portion of the match. This has been happening all season - and it seems to me to be a combination of poor game tactics, lapses in concentration, and individual poor performances. Are our boys not seeing this as a 'real season' and just not committed to giving their all? C'mon boys, give us 100% for the whole match and win comfortably against the Swans!

Swans are, like Essendon & Richmond were, missing a significant number of regular players. We should be able to win this game easily enough by playing to our potential, but that's my fear: too often we don't.

I really would have liked Flynn or Briggs to have gotten a run against Draper so see how they went; I didn't think Mummy had a really good game despite his good hitout stats. Against Callum Sinclair (presumably), I'd hope we bring back Sam Jacobs (I think his exclusion was stated as ''managed'' wasn't it?). Otherwise, Zac Langdon is still a shell of his 2018 self, and Phil Davis might be doubtful with his knee(s). Other that those, I can't see too many changes in the offing.

Don’t forget that our record coming off a bye has never been great.

Actually, running it through the calculators - coming off a bye divided by a six day break plus travel to Perth times our record against Sydney on neutral grounds to the power of 2020 equals who the f*#k knows.

Don’t forget that our record coming off a bye has never been great.

Actually, running it through the calculators - coming off a bye divided by a six day break plus travel to Perth times our record against Sydney on neutral grounds to the power of 2020 equals who the f*#k knows.

giphy.gif

With a 10 day break between swans and eagles hopefully not looking at resting anyone.

Sauce in for mummy
Lloyd if fit for Langdon otherwise Hutchesson
Idun for Davis if he doesn’t get up

Although I don’t think either deserves to be dropped I wouldn’t mind seeing Flynn come in for Finlayson/HH. Flynn can chop out for Sauce. Having one playing as the FF out of the square might help our forwards with structure and give Jezza more space/freedom in the 50. Also helps the small forwards knowing where the ball is going

With a 10 day break between swans and eagles hopefully not looking at resting anyone.

Sauce in for mummy
Lloyd if fit for Langdon otherwise Hutchesson
Idun for Davis if he doesn’t get up

Although I don’t think either deserves to be dropped I wouldn’t mind seeing Flynn come in for Finlayson/HH. Flynn can chop out for Sauce. Having one playing as the FF out of the square might help our forwards with structure and give Jezza more space/freedom in the 50. Also helps the small forwards knowing where the ball is going
Agree with your first three suggestions. Not keen on giving blokes a go just for the sake of it. Sauce is better than the younger rucks

Finlayson was woeful last night. Looked like he could not give a rats. But suspect Leon will give him a chance to respond.

Langdon must be on thin ice. Have a lot of time for him as a player but his confidence looks quite shot.

Players who are currently playing 20% min below ideal output: Cameron, Langdon, Coniglio, Mumford (although what he's currently achieving may well be his ceiling), Kelly, Perryman, Finlayson. Maybe Ward too.

Can't replace them all but way too many passengers at the minute. Would have been staggering if a team with the talent differential on display last night managed to cough up that game.

Agree with your first three suggestions. Not keen on giving blokes a go just for the sake of it. Sauce is better than the younger rucks

No charity selections. I don’t think we get enough out of Finlayson and himmelberg. Flynn is a strong contested mark and would give our forward setup something it doesn’t currently have. Flynn would have debuted last year if he hadn’t done his knee.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was not a night for talls, neither sides big guys were clunking marks. Dont see a problem with the fwd line, our fwd efficiency is best in the league, getting the ball in there enough is the problem at present.

Caldwell needs to get some possesions, a couple of times he second guessed whether to go for the ball or let someone else go. Needs some confidence, its time to give Tom Green another run, given the conditions he probably should of played last night.

Would have been staggering if a team with the talent differential on display last night managed to cough up that game.

My thoughts exactly.

Although, some teams match up well on certain opponents, regardless of personnel. Coming into Friday night I wondered if there would be some sort of carry-over from last year's game. Didn't take long to find out.

Last edited:
Was not a night for talls, neither sides big guys were clunking marks. Dont see a problem with the fwd line, our fwd efficiency is best in the league, getting the ball in there enough is the problem at present.

Caldwell needs to get some possesions, a couple of times he second guessed whether to go for the ball or let someone else go. Needs some confidence, its time to give Tom Green another run, given the conditions he probably should of played last night.
Agree on Caldwell. Could be sore and now might be the time to manage his load

Last edited:
I’d like to see:
Williams Corr Haynes
Kennedy Keeffe Ward
Kelly Cogs Whitfield
Himmelberg Cameron Langdon/Hill
Daniels Briggs XoH
Sauce Taranto Hopper

Idun Caldwell Ash Perryman

Assuming Davis doesn’t play.

I’d like to see:
Williams Corr Haynes
Kennedy Keeffe Ward
Kelly Cogs Whitfield
Himmelberg Cameron Langdon/Hill
Daniels Briggs XoH
Sauce Taranto Hopper

Idun Caldwell Ash Perryman

Assuming Davis doesn’t play.
So, let's see, that's:

Out: Davis(inj) Finlayson Mumford + possibly Langdon

In: Idun Briggs Jacobs + possibly Hill

If Phil is injured, we have three options that I see: Connor Idun, Jake Stein (both of whom have been talked up in recent scratch match reports), or a medium/running back since the Swans often play just the 2 tall forwards (last week having dropped Blakey - who could return against us - they only had McCartin & Reid), although Aliir Aliir can be a bit of a floater between defence and forwardline. I guess Idun can fall into my last category, given that's he's only 191cm so probably matches up against a shorter tall ( :D ).

I do doubt that Finlayson gets dropped TBH - yes he's a bit up & down himself, but the forward line seems to function OK with him there. (At least to the point that I think there are other reasons than the tall forwards as to why we're not scoring as freely as past years.) Though I would like to see Briggs or Flynn unleashed to see how they'd go. Some good young rucks - such as English (WB), Ladhams (Port) and Jackson (Mel) - have been given chances this year, but we're persisting with Mummy and Sauce who each have their limitations.

I guess the left field option would be to replace Phil with Briggs, and play HH as the third tall defender if required, while having more of a straight Jacobs-Briggs rotation on/off field (though we'd want to try Briggs forward to see how he goes).

A few different thoughts there; in the end I expect we'll go with few changes, and hopefully Phil is OK (although if banged up, it would be smart to give him a rest and the time to recover from missing the Swans game is probably the most he'll see for the rest of this season).

So, let's see, that's:

Out: Davis(inj) Finlayson Mumford + possibly Langdon

In: Idun Briggs Jacobs + possibly Hill

If Phil is injured, we have three options that I see: Connor Idun, Jake Stein (both of whom have been talked up in recent scratch match reports), or a medium/running back since the Swans often play just the 2 tall forwards (last week having dropped Blakey - who could return against us - they only had McCartin & Reid), although Aliir Aliir can be a bit of a floater between defence and forwardline. I guess Idun can fall into my last category, given that's he's only 191cm so probably matches up against a shorter tall ( :D ).

I do doubt that Finlayson gets dropped TBH - yes he's a bit up & down himself, but the forward line seems to function OK with him there. (At least to the point that I think there are other reasons than the tall forwards as to why we're not scoring as freely as past years.) Though I would like to see Briggs or Flynn unleashed to see how they'd go. Some good young rucks - such as English (WB), Ladhams (Port) and Jackson (Mel) - have been given chances this year, but we're persisting with Mummy and Sauce who each have their limitations.

I guess the left field option would be to replace Phil with Briggs, and play HH as the third tall defender if required, while having more of a straight Jacobs-Briggs rotation on/off field (though we'd want to try Briggs forward to see how he goes).

A few different thoughts there; in the end I expect we'll go with few changes, and hopefully Phil is OK (although if banged up, it would be smart to give him a rest and the time to recover from missing the Swans game is probably the most he'll see for the rest of this season).
I gave Shaw a rest too.

Yeah I think continuity is important in the playing group so am against changes that aren’t injury based at this stage.
its just so hard to know who misses/is sore tho. The club rightly wouldn’t publish the names of “sore” players

Oops, missed him for Adam Kennedy.

Revised summary:

Out: Davis(inj) Shaw Finlayson Mumford + possibly Langdon

In: Idun Kennedy Briggs Jacobs + possibly Hill

I understand the reason for each of those; however, I would be surprised if they all happened in one hit.
Yeah they wouldn’t make more than a couple of changes if they’re smarter than me (which they definitely are!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back