Review Round 12, 2017 - Brisbane Lions vs. Fremantle

Who were your five best players against Freo

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard Rocky's comments and thought the same thing.. that he mean't 'us senior blokes will run out of time'.. but upon reflection, I think it was more.. 'we are all impatient, it cant come quick enough' and more of a general statenent .. as opposed to a deeper reflection on his position or future at the club. He will sign.

When I say my prayers before I go to bed, I never forget to thank GWS for giving us both of them for Taranto - good as he is.

Indeed. Hugh has a touch of class that I have never seen in Aish.

And has been noted - how good did our defence look when those upfield do their job?

Whilst it was hardly fair to have Freo crossing the nation before their bye with us coming off of ours, how good is it for the younger Lions to be able to play the way they can - and get a feel of what they can become?
I would agree there. I always thought James was a little one dimensional in some ways. No real bust of speed and not a strong build. Hugh looks like he's got a really good first 10 but fantastic evasion as well. A few more pre seasons will build him up to stay over the ball a lot easier and stick those tackles. It's just time and physical development.
Not taking pot shots at Aish but an outside observation.

I would agree there. I always thought James was a little one dimensional in some ways. No real bust of speed and not a strong build. Hugh looks like he's got a really good first 10 but fantastic evasion as well. A few more pre seasons will build him up to stay over the ball a lot easier and stick those tackles. It's just time and physical development.
Hugh is very close to Pendlebury in style and Pendlebury is not particularly big,just beautifully balanced,and athletic.

He reminds me a little bit of Aish in his first year, although McCluggage seems to have more speed. He clearly has the skill and vision to make it, and its now just a question of whether he can get himself an AFL body and apply it to the physical level required for an AFL midfielder (as Aish hasn't yet been able to do).
Nothinglike Aish,far more ability to cover the ground,much better mover,backs himself and has courage to do this...big difference!

Hugh is very close to Pendlebury in style and Pendlebury is not particularly big,just beautifully balanced,and athletic.
I was thinking more Cotchin than Pendlebury, both in style and physique. Pendlebury is a beast for a mid - 191cm/91kg and has elite endurance. Clugger is 187/77 (Cotchin 185/85) and one would expect he will end up about Cotchin's weight, maybe a bit lighter. Cotchin is much maligned, even by Richmond supporters, but is a fine player and McCluggage will do well to reach his level.

Pendles is 191cm and 91kg - deceptively big and only a few cm shorter than our KPD Darcy Gardiner (194cm). In my opinion the original big bodied genuine mid.

Pendles is 191cm and 91kg - deceptively big and only a few cm shorter than our KPD Darcy Gardiner (194cm). In my opinion the original big bodied genuine mid.
Pendlebury doesn't play big though. He's tall but it's not like Robertson or some of the others where they use their size to bust tackles. Pendlebury's style is all about evasiveness and a 360 degree awareness, which I can already see elements of in Hugh's game. Just some initial similarities, mind you, at this stage.

Pendlebury doesn't play big though. He's tall but it's not like Robertson or some of the others where they use their size to bust tackles. Pendlebury's style is all about evasiveness and a 360 degree awareness, which I can already see elements of in Hugh's game. Just some initial similarities, mind you, at this stage.
All true, he is not a bullocking inside mid like Fyfe or Kennedy but certainly qualifies as a big bodied mid, which is the post I was replying to.

When he first gets the ball I notice his speed the most, I think it's a combination of game awareness and his above average bust of speed. Often notice that he's one of the first to reactive, maybe to take a few quick steps to get an effective kick, or seeing the play unfold and moving to the space first, It's such a great attribute in a young player.

And why not? Pot shots are fun! Especially at sooks like Prince James.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best line in the beams post game interview article -

Clugga and berry were drafted together, debuted together and against the Dockers tasted the spoils of victory for the first time together.

There. There is our retention problem solved in a bit of brilliant drafting.

The chances of leaving together are zero - no chance another club will need both at the same time as brings-in are to fill a specific role. If they took them both the one needed to fill the hole would get games and the other would get time in reserves.

With us they stay together and play together and cement themselves as life long friends.

Brilliant, brilliant drafting, and a rare opportunity.

And it is a significant foundation for our teams growth and climb up the ladder as it will provide a base stability that other kids attach to.

Last edited:
Best line in the beams post game interview article -

Clugga and berry were drafted together, debuted together and against the Dockers tasted the spoils of victory for the first time together.

There. There is our retention problem solved in a bit of brilliant drafting.

The chances of leaving together are zero - no chance another club will need both at the same time as brings-in are to fill a specific role. If they took them both the one needed to fill the hole would get games and the other would get time in reserves.

With us they stay together and play together and cement themselves as life long friends.

Brilliant, brilliant drafting, and a rare opportunity.

And it is a significant fountain for the teams growth and climb up the ladder.
I always think this sort of thing is more a marketing move for the fans than the players. The club loves to play up the whole "best mates" angle because this is the sort of response we see. I'd heard Berry and Clugga went to boarding school together. After the draft, this suddenly became "they're best mates". Yeah, it's good for the club to get them to move up here with mates, and it's good for the club for them to feel like they're among friends, because it'll help them acclimatise. I'm not saying Clugga and Bez aren't best mates - they may be. Or they could've just been regular mates, or they could've been acquaintances in the same grade at a school - I don't know. But the club is certainly playing it up as much as they can. I would say it has a minor improvement to our retention - definitely not "our retention problem solved".

Everyone loved the Rocky/Redden bromance, and the club did well out of it... Right up until Redden requested a trade. Boys grow up, and mates change, and around 20-21, most of the boys replace their best mates with a woman. Pretty natural really. A mate or two isn't a replacement for family either, and homesickness can be mitigated by friendships, but your friends can't replace your family.

I still don't think it's a bad move to recruit with friends and ex-teammates though. For us, it's probably a bit of a help to get past the 2 year hurdle, which is usually the one we stumble at.

I always think this sort of thing is more a marketing move for the fans than the players. The club loves to play up the whole "best mates" angle because this is the sort of response we see. I'd heard Berry and Clugga went to boarding school together. After the draft, this suddenly became "they're best mates". Yeah, it's good for the club to get them to move up here with mates, and it's good for the club for them to feel like they're among friends, because it'll help them acclimatise. I'm not saying Clugga and Bez aren't best mates - they may be. Or they could've just been regular mates, or they could've been acquaintances in the same grade at a school - I don't know. But the club is certainly playing it up as much as they can. I would say it has a minor improvement to our retention - definitely not "our retention problem solved".

Everyone loved the Rocky/Redden bromance, and the club did well out of it... Right up until Redden requested a trade. Boys grow up, and mates change, and around 20-21, most of the boys replace their best mates with a woman. Pretty natural really. A mate or two isn't a replacement for family either, and homesickness can be mitigated by friendships, but your friends can't replace your family.

I still don't think it's a bad move to recruit with friends and ex-teammates though. For us, it's probably a bit of a help to get past the 2 year hurdle, which is usually the one we stumble at.
Heard from a poster here how knows them, but apparently Hugh and Jarrod were pinching themseves that they coudn't believe they got drafted together. I think they are definity mates. I dont know if they are best mates but who cares. The whole point is for them to feel moe comfortabe over here. Achieved. Yes our retention strategy isn't solved but so far so good.

P.s sorry for spelling erros and s**t, keyboard is acting up

Can understand your skepticism but in this case it isn't just clever marketing,

Look, Clugga is a bit of a mongrel or a bitsa you might say,a little bit of Cotchin, a little bit of Pendles and a little bit of Gaz. Just you wait and see!

Will he get Cotchins hair or Gary's baldness???

Apparently they share underwear, so they're presumably pretty close haha

http://www.lions.com.au/video/2017-04-21/locker-talk-bad-habits at about 4 mins in

I was really impressed with how much run and grunt we were able to generate through the middle. I thought we were much further behind in that department. That took so much pressure off the backline and they looked quite good (Harris was particularly outstanding).

Our biggest deficiency was contested marks, especially transitioning forward. Would love to see us clunk more in the 50m arch and have more options to break opposition presses.

Don't mind Hippy given licence to create something special and fly for the ball, but still really hopeful someone like Close can provide us with a strong marking option. Schache feels more like the leading forward.

I was really impressed with how much run and grunt we were able to generate through the middle.

And the backline as well. Our composure and ability to link up and create overlapping run was a massive step ahead of where we've been in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back