Review Round 12, 2017 - Brisbane Lions vs. Fremantle

Who were your five best players against Freo

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could you make a case that J Brown would know how *he* works as a forward but M Michael would know who all sorts of forwards play and how to stop them and what things are hard to defend against?

You missed a joke.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/media-a...m/news-story/22f52965f464cfde7681e2b53df7b675

Nice article on us from the foxfooty media academy. Unfortunately for Nathan its far too full of reasoned analysis and critical thinking for him to have a successful career in the footy media
Wow what a great well researched article and he sounds like he knows what he's talking about. As you noted he is a media academy columnist, they will have him in the boys club before you can say "it is understood".

I gotta say... I left the ground thinking that Mayes was poor. People on here have said he was good, and the coaches both named him for their 1-votes for the AFLCA voting... But I've gone back and watched the game again, paying particular attention to Mayes, and I've gotta say - he was poor! Lot of hesitation, lot of kicking long to contests (hence why his DE and metres were high) - never took the game on and never went for the jugular. A bit better by hand - had a few good clearing handballs particularly in 2H, and ran on for the 1-2... But most of his work across half-back, his positioning was excellent, but his decision making and disposal was poor.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/media-a...m/news-story/22f52965f464cfde7681e2b53df7b675

Nice article on us from the foxfooty media academy. Unfortunately for Nathan its far too full of reasoned analysis and critical thinking for him to have a successful career in the footy media

Besides hope and wishful thinking, the quote "They have the talent. Harris Andrews, Daniel McStay, Hipwood and Schache have the potential to make up the best spine in the league, and the midfield depth will gradually improve as Barrett, Mathieson, McCluggage, Berry and Ben Keays are exposed to more senior football."

This is the potential of our list, finally recognised ( still to be proven, but geez it is tantalising if they stay together)

Savour it up, as we all know the VIC media will have a field day with one small hiccup. :'(

I gotta say... I left the ground thinking that Mayes was poor. People on here have said he was good, and the coaches both named him for their 1-votes for the AFLCA voting... But I've gone back and watched the game again, paying particular attention to Mayes, and I've gotta say - he was poor! Lot of hesitation, lot of kicking long to contests (hence why his DE and metres were high) - never took the game on and never went for the jugular. A bit better by hand - had a few good clearing handballs particularly in 2H, and ran on for the 1-2... But most of his work across half-back, his positioning was excellent, but his decision making and disposal was poor.

I thought he was good. Probably just above what should be his average impact on the game. 6/10 (5 being a pass mark).

I thought he was good. Probably just above what should be his average impact on the game. 6/10 (5 being a pass mark).
Yeah, a lot of people on here, and apparently in the coaches box, thought he was decent. Which is why I paid extra attention to him on the re-watch... He had a couple of reasonable possessions, and plenty of fine/average ones... But quite often he took too long on the switch, or made the wrong decision, or wimped out and just kicked long to a contest rather than backing himself in...

Then again, I rate Mayes, so maybe I'm just being too critical because I have higher expectations... His off the ball work was reasonable, and his positioning was good. Just his disposal I wasn't thrilled with.

It's a tough one though - do I accept that maybe I'm not as good a judge of a game/role than the coaches? Or do I stick to my guns and insist that I'm right? It's like Sophie's choice around here...

In other news, I thought Paps was poor, and I thought Stef was just a bit average - had maybe 4 good rounds to start the year, and has since been pretty average. Would drop Paps, but not Stef with Ryder coming up - I have Ryder as my current AA ruckman.

Yeah, a lot of people on here, and apparently in the coaches box, thought he was decent. Which is why I paid extra attention to him on the re-watch... He had a couple of reasonable possessions, and plenty of fine/average ones... But quite often he took too long on the switch, or made the wrong decision, or wimped out and just kicked long to a contest rather than backing himself in...

Then again, I rate Mayes, so maybe I'm just being too critical because I have higher expectations... His off the ball work was reasonable, and his positioning was good. Just his disposal I wasn't thrilled with.

It's a tough one though - do I accept that maybe I'm not as good a judge of a game/role than the coaches? Or do I stick to my guns and insist that I'm right? It's like Sophie's choice around here...

In other news, I thought Paps was poor, and I thought Stef was just a bit average - had maybe 4 good rounds to start the year, and has since been pretty average. Would drop Paps, but not Stef with Ryder coming up - I have Ryder as my current AA ruckman.

I think I'm feeling the same way. Mayes should have the game he played last week much more often. Probably most weeks.

And agree on Paps. He's been awful. Offers next to nothing offensively and he's very poor defensively. Playing down back doesn't use his only strength which is his endurance and accentuates his biggest weakness which is that he is awful one-on-one.

I think I'm feeling the same way. Mayes should have the game he played last week much more often. Probably most weeks.

And agree on Paps. He's been awful. Offers next to nothing offensively and he's very poor defensively. Playing down back doesn't use his only strength which is his endurance and accentuates his biggest weakness which is that he is awful one-on-one.
Bring in Witherden, has been getting great reports in the NEAFL particularly his silky disposal skills. Some had him as the best kick in the draft last season.

Bring in Witherden, has been getting great reports in the NEAFL particularly his silky disposal skills. Some had him as the best kick in the draft last season.

Definitely would be keen. You wouldn't want him doing a lot of defending but the other backs can compensate for that. Doesn't seem to lack confidence either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont think it will be long before we see him.
And the logical choice for him to replace would be Paps.
People underrate paps defensive run. He plays an important role that you can't appreciate when watching on TV (not that I am suggesting you only watch games on tv).

We are a better side with paps in

People underrate paps defensive run. He plays an important role that you can't appreciate when watching on TV (not that I am suggesting you only watch games on tv).

Do you think it's enough though?

Do you think it's enough though?
If they play him as a defensive wingman it is an often underappreciated role at all forms of footy. He still needs to compete, clearly, but his stats are not the be all and end all.

He is playing his role defensively quite well. I agree.
But i think it is offensively where he falls down. Too slow with his ball movement. And that is where i think that Witherden with his kicking skills can penetrate and break a game wide open.

He is playing his role defensively quite well. I agree.
But i think it is offensively where he falls down. Too slow with his ball movement. And that is where i think that Witherden with his kicking skills can penetrate and break a game wide open.
What you gain With Witherden's superior kicking ability, you will lose with defensive running and experience. Wonder how they compare with defensive 1 on 1's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back