Review Round 12, 2018 - Brisbane Lions vs. Essendon

Who were your five best players against Essendon?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Harris Andrews, my god, what an absolute gun. We are so much a better team because of all the work Stef does in the middle. Gardiner - good. Bailey - like how he takes the game on. Not quite there yet but want him to keep that endeavour because he'll eventually stick it. Squizzy and Bundy worked hard through out. Solid blue-collar effort from Witherden too especially taking that stinger on the knee.

But, arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhh our kicking. Just spraying it. And giving it back to them the opportunity to kick it in and take it down the other end costs us a few more. Boys, just get yourself down the park and practise practise practise. Get it bloody right. There's players on our list who would absolutely guarantee themselves best-22 spots if they could consistently put easy shots through the middle and they just spray it instead. Frustrating.

aa0.png

Most frustrated I have felt since GH5. * me dead - learn to ******* kick straight Mcstay and Cutler ffs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can throw percentage and stat differences from last year, but it doesn’t matter that much considering we are still ******* 1-11

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This has been a horrible, horrible game in every aspect. You can't even admire the opposition good play because they haven't been that good either, though they have been significantly better than us and probably should be looking at a 40-50 point win from their viewpoint.

Our kicking, handballing, decision making and tackling has been poor all day. The umpiring has been extremely dodgy (and I'm being kind here) and it just hasn't been fun to watch at all. Kicking for goal was diabolical. We've had games where we've kicked behinds where we haven't been able to get behind the opposition and the kicks have been from the pocket but most of the behinds in this game were from kicks within 45 degrees and within 35m. There is no excuse for that level of ineptitude and there needs to be repercussions. The goal kicking coach needs his arse kicking and all our forwards need to be kept back for some goalkicking training this week - bye or no bye.

Zorko needs to learn how to get into a game when he's getting attention (to be fair he had spells but we expect more) and Beams .... not even sure what to say about Beams today. 14 disposals, 1 tackle and zero inside 50s isn't good enough. He was getting close attention but at times he looked lost and disinterested.

Andrews was good, Rich, Berry and Witherden were good in patches. Hipwood looked good when he appeared but you could be forgiven for thinking he only played about 12 minutes today.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been getting a bit sick of the message Fagan keeps giving at every after match.

Maybe some of these guys are lacking tough love

I dunno if I'm blaming Fages at this point just yet. He's not out there kicking. Three of our players had three behind each. Both teams played awfully but our kicking just let us down so much. Really should have been able to capitalise on no Heppell in the centre too.

No midfield apart from Stef unfortunately. Beams was beyond awful and Zorko, Clug, Berry and Cutler were all poor.

Does anyone think it's reasonable to conclude that we aren't specifically game planning for our opposition going into games/ if we are, we're doing a ******* shocking job of it? It's been 12 rounds and I can't see any obvious signs of improvement in this area.
I've been getting a bit sick of the message Fagan keeps giving at every after match.

Maybe some of these guys are lacking tough love
I think Fagan/ whoever puts our strategy together should be the target of our displeasure here rather than the players (not that they get a pass). Essendon are playing like GC did for a while under Eade, get a couple of quick half backs and just run around and hope it comes off. There's not much else to their strategy at the moment, and still we didn't appear to have anticipated it at all.

Really deflating game. Can understand big losses to finals bound teams away from home like the Richmond and North games, but to be beaten pretty comfortably by a very poor team at home sucks a lot of enthusiasm out of a supporter.

Good things: Thought the back 6 as a whole were pretty good, Andrews especially was spectacular. Gardiner and Witherden also very solid. Rich and Stef were solid, Christensen was spotty but had some good moments.

Bad things: Goalkicking. Utterly dismal and laughable for professional footballers. Nobody to blame for the loss but ourselves after that display. Turnovers and basic skill errors were bad as well - we just looked slow and left the defenders out at sea on the counterattack. Umpiring was garbage but not to blame for the loss (that score review though...crikey).

We're still an improved side from last year but jeez games like that leave a sour taste in the mouth. Expecting a response after the bye. That was a very winnable game, until very late in the game, and we let it slip in a pretty embarrassing manner.

Back