Game Day Round 12, 2018: St.Kilda v Sydney *2018 PRIDE GAME*

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
WOxbvZm.png

Previous Meetings:
Round 18, 2017 - Sydney (14.17.101) defeated St.Kilda (9.5.59)
Round 9, 2017 - St.Kilda (10.8.68) defeated by Sydney (18.10.118)
Round 21, 2016 - St.Kilda (11.10.76) defeated by Sydney (23.8.146)

Preview

St.Kilda v Sydney

Rk3asBs.jpg

180525-pride-web-banner-940x75.jpg

St.Kilda boarded a plane for Perth for the second time in a month to face West Coast for the first time this season. In what seemed to be turning into a predictable one-sided contest in the Eagles favour, the Saints played with renewed spirit and confidence, clawing their way back from 48 points down at three quarter time to trim the margin to 13 at the final siren. It was another loss for the Saints but there were plenty of positives to take out of the game and it would seem St.Kilda have a bit of their mojo back.

Sydney hosted bottom of the ladder Carlton in what many seemed to be a shoe-in victory for the home side. Carlton came out with vigour in the first half and led the top four placed Swans by a point at half time, but the class of Lance Franklin & co steered the Swans to what was in the end a comfortable 30 point victory.

Let’s have a look at possible best 22s:

St.Kilda Best 22
B:
Jarryn Geary, Nathan Brown, Dylan Roberton
HB: Shane Savage, Jake Carlisle, Jimmy Webster
C: Jack Sinclair, Jack Steele, Jack Newnes
HF: Blake Acres, Josh Bruce, Jack Billings
F: Jade Gresham, Paddy McCartin, Tim Membrey
Foll: Billy Longer, Seb Ross, Jack Steven
I/C: David Armitage, Koby Stevens, Sam Gilbert, Mav Weller

Sydney Best 22
B:
Nick Smith, Heath Grundy, Aliir Aliir
HB: Jarrad McVeigh, Dane Rampe, Jake Lloyd
C: Dan Hannebery, Josh Kennedy, Zak Jones
HF: Kieren Jack, Sam Reid, George Hewett
F: Will Hayward, Lance Franklin, Tom Papley
Foll: Kurt Tippett, Luke Parker, Isaac Heeney
I/C: Callum Mills, Nic Newman, Oliver Florent, Dean Towers

Medical Room

597825_gl.jpg

For the Saints - Bailey Rice was hobbling on the boundary line midway through the first term and received treatment for a sore hip. Rice then copped a Mark LeCras kick to his lower leg and was helped from the ground by trainers and went to the rooms, but returned in the second half. Paddy McCartin came from the ground late in the first term after a heavy collision in a pack, however he was fine after a breather on the bench. Jarryn Geary was taken to the rooms in the third quarter and returned to the bench with his left calf strapped but played no further part and is likely to miss matches.

The Swans looked to have come through the match with Carlton without any worries.

Preview

Daniel+Robinson+St+Kilda+v+Sydney+2017+JLT+mIxrDJPUj-Gl.jpg

St.Kilda's effort over recent weeks continues to instil belief in senior coach Alan Richardson's plan, and many of the youngsters that have played in recent weeks have stood up against quality opposition. After a solid performance a week ago against Richmond, the Saints came to Perth to face the Eagles who sit atop the AFL ladder after 10 rounds. St.Kilda's young brigade went down early but fought back and took it to the Eagles in the final quarter, kicking 7 goals to 1 and reducing the margin from 48 points to 13.

As for the notable performers, it was Tim Membrey returning to some form, kicking 6 straight goals to go along with his 20 disposals and 9 marks in a best on ground display for the Saints.

Others who stood up included midfielders Jack Sinclair (29 disposals, 5 marks, 8 tackles, 1 goal), Seb Ross (32 disposals, 4 marks, 3 tackles) and Jack Steven with 24 possessions and 5 tackles. In defence it was Logan Austin who, whilst beaten by his opponent Josh Kennedy (6 goals), can hold his head high after finishing the game with 26 possessions and 14 marks.

Of course it was indigenous round in the AFL and the Saints did their bit;

A day earlier the Swans hosted the Blues on Friday night football.

Sydney have been consistently strong for many years and this season is no different. Notable performers for the Swans on Friday night were ruckman Callum Sinclair, who finished as the Swans best on the night with 22 disposals, 7 marks, 26 hit-outs, 4 tackles and 2 goals for good measures.

Star forward Lance Franklin finished with 3.2 from 15 disposals and 5 marks, and midfielders Josh Kennedy, Jake Lloyd, and Isaac Heeney finished with 26, 24, and 22 possessions respectively.

Sydney are always a threat and they have been strong again this year. They are the only side to have beaten the 10-1 1st placed Eagles, and along the way have beaten GWS, Western Bulldogs, Geelong, Hawthorn, Fremantle, Brisbane and Carlton. Losses against Port Adelaide, Adelaide and North Melbourne. Sydney are a top four contender this year and should be considered a premiership threat but they are beatable if their opposition has a strong day out.

Potential changes

73e5800b43fae0d8252e87b700ab2ce2

St.Kilda came out of Perth relatively unscathed, although a calf strain to skipper Jarryn Geary will open the door for a few pressing their case for selection. First year player Nick Coffield could be that man, after dominating in the VFL on Saturday. Coff finished with 31 disposals, 9 marks and 6 tackles and would provide the Saints with some polish down back.

Another who could make his return is inside midfielder David Armitage. Armitage collected 28 disposals, 8 tackles and 11 inside 50's in the VFL on the weekend.

Key Match-Ups

596925_gl.jpg

Franklin v Austin
Logan Austin has been strong for the Saints in his two games this year, and will most likely have the job on one of the games greats in Lance Franklin on Saturday night. Austin was beaten by Josh Kennedy of the Eagles last weekend (6 goals), however Austin did finish with 26 touches and a game high 14 marks. If Austin can keep the Swans superstar quiet the Saints will have a much better chance of causing the upset.

Sinclair v Hickey
Callum Sinclair had arguably his best game all year on Friday night, and finished with 20 possessions and 26 hit-outs in a dominant display against the Blues. St.Kilda ruckman Tom Hickey has been good over the past month and played well again on Saturday night albeit up against Scott Lycett and Nic Naitanui for most of the night. Hickey finished with 28 hit-outs to go along with 18 disposals. If Tom can get the ascendency in the middle of the ground to give our midfielders first use it will be crucial.

Tip

596954_gl.jpg

St.Kilda have been much much better over the past few weeks and will be looking to continue to improve as the season progresses. Sydney on paper are a far more experienced and talented side and ultimately I think they will win the game but I wouldn't be surprised if the Saints hang with them for most of the night. An upset is unlikely but wouldn't be TOO far out of the question, and would be absolutely massive for the playing group.

Swans by 17 points.

Thoughts?

Get in there Saints

the-office-david-brent-gif.gif
You gotta love those moves! lol
Loved The Office. Both versions.
Something about Gervais brilliantly funny and accurate portrayal of The unique, special kind of tool that is
the office lwr-mid manager. A deluded, narcisstic breed of control freak is generally needed.
His performance is masterful in the subtle mannerisms albeit hilariously over the top.

Btw Go Get em young Sainters!
To say we owe this AFL built plastic club is an understatment!
Have hated them since the AFL financed poaching of the Greatest Saint and arguably Best ever player iv'e seen in my whole
time watching footy.
Throw in subsequent poachings of O'Brien, Hall and Everitt. Then the Caven incident/travesty
culminating on a dirty night in the 05 prelim where once again Headquarters blatant corruption took hold with the Hall/Moose farce!
And we lost i believe prob our best chance to win a flag, with an inexplicable choke in the last qtr after looking in control!

So Yeah fair to say i fecking hate these kents!

Billings to kick 5, white to drive us off half back, Marshal to dominate as the ultimate swingman, gears to dominate in the ruck...... oh wait.....
As none of that has happened all year, might be a reason they are in the twos

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

You gotta love those moves! lol
Loved The Office. Both versions.
Something about Gervais brilliantly funny and accurate portrayal of The unique, special kind of tool that is
the office lwr-mid manager. A deluded, narcisstic breed of control freak is generally needed.
His performance is masterful in the subtle mannerisms albeit hilariously over the top.

Btw Go Get em young Sainters!
To say we owe this AFL built plastic club is an understatment!
Have hated them since the AFL financed poaching of the Greatest Saint and arguably Best ever player iv'e seen in my whole
time watching footy.
Throw in subsequent poachings of O'Brien, Hall and Everitt. Then the Caven incident/travesty
culminating on a dirty night in the 05 prelim where once again Headquarters blatant corruption took hold with the Hall/Moose farce!
And we lost i believe prob our best chance to win a flag, with an inexplicable choke in the last qtr after looking in control!

So Yeah fair to say i fecking hate these kents!
Good old adam schnieder

Any chance you lads could be sports and trade Billings to us at season end.

Any chance you could read the post 7 back? Might give you an idea of the type of response you’ll get to that question?

If you offered us Heeney in exchange however...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Expecting the saints to carry over the form of the last couple of weeks and be competitive. However, I believe the swans' class will carry them over the line. As always, Buddy will be a handful so will need a team effort to nullify him. Brown to wrestle with him long enough for the likes of Austin to intercept him. The challenge will not only be to nullify Buddy but to ensure no one else from the swans can have a blinder. Looking at Heeney and Sinclair here.

Coffield in for Gears is a good move, albeit not by design by the coaches. Last week showed the importance of having 6 quality ball users in our backline and how the ball movement from defence to set up our attack was significantly better when Gears went off injured.

Like the inclusion of Battle. I can see him roaming the wings a lot during the match as we need an outlet from defence and he will provide that marking target. Will also be good for us structurally as Paddy should be playing closer to goal not roaming the wings to provide a marking target.

Callum Sinclair is soft but so is hickey.

I expect he will have another blinder it's a pity we dropped Marshall.

The swans are a good team and bring some intense pressure, it will be interesting to see who stands up.

I have a strange feeling that we're in with a red-hot chance of winning this one. Hope I'm not building myself up too much to then be utterly disappointed. Realistically, a competitive effort is all we can ask for these days. Carn the Saints!

Callum Sinclair is soft but so is hickey.

I expect he will have another blinder it's a pity we dropped Marshall.

The swans are a good team and bring some intense pressure, it will be interesting to see who stands up.
I reckon Hickey matches up well on Sinclair, the Goomba looking freak
eBkK5cwnWspOEt5PKLQZWHivt7Lpi5N2a6lGyiJ5KaWMcFNKle8CbW9xUIK70SsHuFefZDJHECo78kbsDuZw2r8ZdAEZGPoiQfDFCqOoFkmNzgQCd0qsfcCah4X4dZiIZfnh7g=w513-h287-nc

I have a strange feeling that we're in with a red-hot chance of winning this one. Hope I'm not building myself up too much to then be utterly disappointed. Realistically, a competitive effort is all we can ask for these days. Carn the Saints!
Every saints fan should have hope and excitment before a game regardless of our position. Will always love the moment when we take the field.
There is plenty to look forward to it just comes down to your perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back