Preview Round 12, 2019 - Carlton vs. Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Happy Allison getting a run.This myth that Keays had a great game is preposterous.Kicked into the man 20 out then shanked a set shot 35-40 out.If you aren’t able to convert your opportunities when you are a fringe player you don’t get a free pass not enough credits in the bank.He tried hard and was passable for his pressure and tackles but he didn’t grab his chance to lock down a spot in our best 22.
I think he can do better but agree.

He made all of Cutler's games 10 voters.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
I think most on here believe Allison is more likely be on our list next year than Keays so I think it’s a good move beyond just for team balance.
Naturally, given Allison is contracted for next year and Keays isn't, although I would hope Keays is offered a new contract for next season and beyond.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Maybe he might consider other factors such as whether players are meeting the specific requirements of their role in the overall team structure/game plan?

I'd be staggered if any player at AFL level or even local park footy could "meet specific requirements of their role in the overall team structure/game plan" whilst only getting 3 possessions in a game.

I'll give Fagan one thing, he's stuck true to giving certain players games irrespective of performance and I respect that, even if I don't agree with it.

AFLQLD

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
There are other teams?
It is good to see Allison getting a shot.

Unlucky for Keays but he will just keep working as part of the larger squad. I would be confident in saying that a lot of support goes into players when they are demoted to NEAFL. Given the importance clubs put on cohesiveness and welfare, any player who drops out of the firsts would be counselled about the reasons and given goals to work towards. That happens in well run local clubs, so it is certainly going to happen at AFL level. Players won’t be just left to read it on a selection list.

Secondly, it is a squad not a team and players will know that the 22 that takes the park is selected with the opposition, venue, team balance and weather in mind. Players are going to come in and out through the season. That is especially true of the fringe players but they would be well aware of their place in the greater scheme of things.

Sometimes players do leave for more opportunity but many more are willing to keep working hard and getting feedback until their chance comes.

Allison could be very handy on the wing at Marvel with his pace and long kicking. Something a bit different for us this year. Two goals and he has justified his selection.

Lazza16

The Lions Women...roaring into 2023
Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Eh, bit odd to see Keays dropped but Allison getting a go would go with our thinking that players on our list are getting their last shots to show us what they can give us going forward.

I dont think this is strictly curtains for Keays.
Also it was said somewhere last season that Allison felt a tad isolated and not part of the group. He is a talented player so we need to change that mindset in order to get him to hang around. Step 1.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yep; Walker's continued omission is ridiculous.

Hope it doesn't cost us and given Carlton's ins and our named side; I won't be heading to the Docklands with any confidence whatsoever.

Shame really, given the occasion.

Given you’ve tipped a loss the last 3 (4?) weeks do you ever head in with any confidence?

LIONS08

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yep; Walker's continued omission is ridiculous.

Hope it doesn't cost us and given Carlton's ins and our named side; I won't be heading to the Docklands with any confidence whatsoever.

Shame really, given the occasion.
Not sure if you watched any of the twos game last week but Walker had some absolutely horrid moments. His omission can be justified after that game

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Was waiting for the melt, could add more but TBD is far more articulate than I would be.
Hows that a melt?:huh:

Is a "melt" be definition, someone that doesn't agree with the selections?

I'm rapt for Allison; should be the perfect type of player to play the quick Docklands ground even if I think Keays' omission is pretty harsh given his solid effort last week.

Enlighten me, what's your issue with that? Or perhaps you could let your fan boy TBD respond on your behalf.

Strato

Team Captain
Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If we cannot beat Carlton we are all kidding ourselves if we think that we could make finals. We are overdue to have a big win or to upset a top 4 side. If we kick straight we will go to the bye in a very good position. Happy this week with the selections, sorry for Keays but Allison is playing well and deserves his chance. I would hope that we can play the 4 quarters - if we do then it should be a good win.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'd be staggered if any player at AFL level or even local park footy could "meet specific requirements of their role in the overall team structure/game plan" whilst only getting 3 possessions in a game.

I'll give Fagan one thing, he's stuck true to giving certain players games irrespective of performance and I respect that, even if I don't agree with it.

Linc McCarthy hasn’t been getting a whole lot more of the footy than Rayner and has only kicked 5 goals in the last 9 games. Why the focus on Rayner and not Linc?

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Would love to see a couple of 60m goals from Allison like he kicked last weekend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Linc McCarthy hasn’t been getting a whole lot more of the footy than Rayner and has only kicked 5 goals in the last 9 games. Why the focus on Rayner and not Linc?
You at least see McCarthy up the ground putting a lot of pressure on the opposition and doing a lot more team oriented things than you ever see Rayner do even without necessarily getting a lot of possessions or goals; that's why. Rayner has only kicked two more goals than McCarthy for the season despite Rayner playing almost exclusively I50, basically because he blows up when moving outside the I50 whereas McCarthy is all over the ground.

Cameron may have been a better example you could've used.

braddsey

Club Legend
May 11, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Walker should throw himself into the draft at the end of the season if Robertson is getting a game before he is. He should send all clubs a recording of this year’s Brisbane v Port Adelaide game and at 27 years of age at the start of Season 2020 he will get snapped up.
According to Mitch Robertson, that's what bye round is for...

Brett C

Club Legend
Oct 11, 2014
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Manchester United
Hows that a melt?:huh:

Is a "melt" be definition, someone that doesn't agree with the selections?

I'm rapt for Allison; should be the perfect type of player to play the quick Docklands ground even if I think Keays' omission is pretty harsh given his solid effort last week.

Enlighten me, what's your issue with that? Or perhaps you could let your fan boy TBD respond on your behalf.
You could be a headline writer for a paper, you find conspiracies in almost everything while exaggerating selections or performance at every opportunity.

You obviously hate football or the Lions so I’m not sure why you bother.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
You at least see McCarthy up the ground putting a lot of pressure on the opposition and doing a lot more team oriented things than you ever see Rayner do even without necessarily getting a lot of possessions or goals; that's why. Rayner has only kicked two more goals than McCarthy for the season despite Rayner playing almost exclusively I50, basically because he blows up when moving outside the I50 whereas McCarthy is all over the ground.

Cameron may have been a better example you could've used.

Didn’t Rayner have a couple of chase down tackles last week? Most weeks he gets a holding the ball and if McCarthy is spending so much more time up the field he should be getting more than 2 possessions more than Rayner.

irish

Premiership Player
Sep 20, 2002
hobart
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NHFC demons & SH/SB sharks
Team picked for a fast track I think . At the G walker plays , it's height v pace , coach fagan picks pace

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Didn’t Rayner have a couple of chase down tackles last week? Most weeks he gets a holding the ball and if McCarthy is spending so much more time up the field he should be getting more than 2 possessions more than Rayner.
Agreed; McCarthy has also been quite poor at times this season and is persisted with.

Personally, I don't think McCarthy should've been immune from being dropped at times this year. That being said, I think McCarthy has had the better year than Rayner and Keays should've had an opportunity earlier than he did at either McCarthy or Rayner's expense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back