Preview Round 12, 2019 - Carlton vs. Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't surprise me to see a late change with Walker coming in.

When Carlton sacked Malthouse they were keen on two guys to take over. Bolton and Fagan. Thank god they took Bolton and Fagan said he wasn't interested.

Can't wait to see the boys run out in the Fitzroy jumper.
I don’t think that Fages was ever interviewed, not because he didn’t want the job but because Carlton were already pretty much set on Bolton.
It come down to him and Barker!

Will go down to watch training tomorrow. Advantages of being old. Working long hours is a disease of the poor (or of the divorced now I think of it).

Going to the Lions function on Saturday with a fellow Fitzroy tragic. We met at Crown after the Grand Final 2001. I was at the bar at the top of those stairs with two beers when Mark came up. We hugged and had the two greatest beers of my life.

It took much longer and much more agony than now for us to savour a successful Lions team back in the 70's 80' and 90s but I am ready for another.

At the function in 2001 that bloke Something Kev, the Queensland salesperson of electrical stuff was on our table. He died a year or so ago. He was a drunk as a skunk and we went hard at it to join him.

Lions by 30 points and I will get home by 3.00am Wife in Canberra visiting a son. Derrinalphil will be at crown with a Lions scarf and beanie, either at the bar or at a craps table.

Go the Lions
great post, so true I'm 20 days off retirement now and looking forward to every day on my farm - along with now being able to travel and see the Lions play away from Qld especially when there are wineries close by. Adelaide here we come.

David Teague on SEN this morning, saying he is going to play to their players strengths and release the shackles and not worry about sticking to rigid structures and have the players worrying about making mistakes.

This could backfire big time on them if we bring the heat early, they'll drop their bundle if it doesn't show signs of working, a few early goals from turnovers would be ideal for us.

Wouldn't surprise me to see a late change with Walker coming in.

When Carlton sacked Malthouse they were keen on two guys to take over. Bolton and Fagan. Thank god they took Bolton and Fagan said he wasn't interested.

Can't wait to see the boys run out in the Fitzroy jumper.
Fitzroy Jumper. What a fantastic jumper. Great! It will be good to see the boys in the jumpers tomorrow. Hoping we can have a good win - %

David Teague on SEN this morning, saying he is going to play to their players strengths and release the shackles and not worry about sticking to rigid structures and have the players worrying about making mistakes.

This could backfire big time on them if we bring the heat early, they'll drop their bundle if it doesn't show signs of working, a few early goals from turnovers would be ideal for us.
Seems prime for an upset with the new coach and decent ins on their part but I agree, if we hold our nerve early we should be ok. If they produce their best for 4 quarters we will be in trouble but young teams like this always go to sleep for 15 min periods, we need to be ready to take advantage.

not worry about sticking to rigid structures
I was at the game against GWS - Carlton were well on top of this part of the plan already.

Teague has a great reputation. I'd be surprised if we don't see a different Carlton this week sadly.

I'm sure the guys are doing a lot of homework with their ins .
Browny (on The Couch) has been criticizing the carlton forwards set-up for a while and was doubtful that Teague as the previous forwards coach could fix that issue as the head coach.

Seems prime for an upset with the new coach and decent ins on their part but I agree, if we hold our nerve early we should be ok. If they produce their best for 4 quarters we will be in trouble but young teams like this always go to sleep for 15 min periods, we need to be ready to take advantage.
History shows changing coach doesn’t impact the result with only 7 wins in 18 games since 2000.

Changing a coach doesn’t change means nothing when they have been so poor. They’ve won 9 games in 2 and a half seasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

History shows changing coach doesn’t impact the result with only 7 wins in 18 games since 2000.

Changing a coach doesn’t change means nothing when they have been so poor. They’ve won 9 games in 2 and a half seasons.

Statistics aren’t the best measure though as the teams are already poor when the coach gets canned. It’s more of an eye test thing. You can see players playing with a lot more intensity, and more intensity usually leads to more goals and a higher chance of winning.

Quite a lot of talk about us not having the required talls down back to stop their forwards but honestly I don't think they have anyone that can stop our smalls, especially Charlie. Marvel is known to be a fast track and if Charlie is on he could be in for a day out.

Also, this is my birthday game and my old man is a Carlton supporter so this is must win in my book ;)

Quite a lot of talk about us not having the required talls down back to stop their forwards but honestly I don't think they have anyone that can stop our smalls, especially Charlie. Marvel is known to be a fast track and if Charlie is on he could be in for a day out.

Also, this is my birthday game and my old man is a Carlton supporter so this is must win in my book ;)

Yeah I’m hopeful Charlie has at least 10 shots on goals and at least half of those are goals. Doesn’t have a history of kicking bags though. Has only kicked 5 once in 95 games.

Kicking those big bags will be part of him hopefully becoming an elite small forward.

Statistics aren’t the best measure though as the teams are already poor when the coach gets canned. It’s more of an eye test thing. You can see players playing with a lot more intensity, and more intensity usually leads to more goals and a higher chance of winning.

Dom Fay on the roar deal looked into it a fair bit - a couple of those wins were against truly terrible teams e.g. us against GWS in 2013 and other teams against Port in 2011. At least in our case there was a strong motivating element of getting rid of Vossy before we had some winnable games. So maybe it is even less of an impressive stat.

I don't disagree with your point about how it can galvanise a playing group though.

Having a look at their backline.... We should really be able to exploit it with our pace.
Plowman Weitering Newman
Marchbank Casbolt Thomas
With Simpson coming off the bench.
The skill and pace we have up forward should really help us against that backline! We should kick a bag!!

Having a look at their backline.... We should really be able to exploit it with our pace.
Plowman Weitering Newman
Marchbank Casbolt Thomas
With Simpson coming off the bench.
The skill and pace we have up forward should really help us against that backline! We should kick a bag!!

SOS loves his slightly too short and definitely too slow key defenders who can't quite play on the flank or pocket - Plowman 191cm Marchbank 193cm.

Difference in selected teams from last year -

Us

Out: Beams, Big O, Berry, Walker, Barrett, Cutler, Bundy, Lester
In: Neale, Lyons, Andrews, Cameron, McCarthy, Answerth, Allison, Archie

Them

Out: Jed Lamb, Liam Jones, Andrew Phillips, Polson, Matthew Wright, Darcy Lang, Kennedy, Nick Graham
In: Newman, Simpson, McGovern, Walsh, Casboult, Cunningham, Setterfield, Michael Gibbons.

Some handy inclusions for the blues no doubt but our team is much strengthened compared to the team that beat them by 65 points last year - Lyons, Harris and Charlie in particular if we assume Neale and Beams cancel each other out (at least Beams on last year's form might be just equivalent to Neale, definitely not this year).

Stats are actual evidence of what has occurred and that's about as absolute as you can get when it comes to win/loss records. Gut feel or eye test is great but really not worth anything based on the circumstances.

In the last 17 years with the 7 wins out of 18 for teams that have sacked their coaches, in only 2 cases was the winning team been below the team they beat on the ladder which I guess you could call an upset. Those 2 wins involved games where the teams involved where close to each other on the ladder.

In every other case the team whose coach was sacked was above on the ladder so you'd hardly call it an upset.

Kevin Murray speaks about the game and Fitzroy.

Listening to Kevin Murray in that interview on the verge of breaking down talking about how humbled he is by the club's efforts with the guernsey and it really tugged on my heart strings.. I'll be buying this jumper, imo it's easily the best commemorative Fitzroy jumper we've had in years. The other one I liked was the dark maroon with the white FFC from 2003 against the pies.

So I have way too much time on my hands and I've used it too read the Carlton thread. It's not a happy place - we were there once.

Anyway, a lot there see boltons zone game as the cause of problems. Players spending too much time and effort maintaining defensive zones and not being able to attack in ways that suit them best. So lots of moving the ball sideways to the wing and bombing it long so the ball isn't being delivered to the forwards in a usable way.

There are rumours that Bolton and his replacement Teague, who has been their forwards coach, have been in disagreement about the game plan. I guess Teague is coaching his forwards in one way, and it's not consistent with the way the mids are being directed to use the ball. So very little scoring.

Teague' press conference apparently supported this idea that players have been too structured and néed a different game plan. We know that learning a game plan takes a long time, and lots of bad losses. The players need to know that their teammates are going to be where they are meant to be or the whole thing falls apart.

An article in the age says Teague is expected to encourage a more attacking mindset. Wholesale game plan changes will benefit us so I hope Teague backs himself

Browny (on The Couch) has been criticizing the carlton forwards set-up for a while and was doubtful that Teague as the previous forwards coach could fix that issue as the head coach.

He could be right.

But Teague would have had to set up the forwards to try to match Bolton's overall game style...and Bolton ultimately gets the final say. I think one of his issues was being too controlling and potentially could have overruled Teague on some set ups.

We'll see if it actually eventuates tomorrow, but Teague has said we'll tweak our forward structure, with our tall guys staying closer to goal.
Also if we move the ball faster as promised, it will completely change the look of our forward line to what it's been in recent weeks.

Seeing how our forwards set up certainly is something of interest to me and we'll see what Teague's got.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back