Review Round 12, 2019 - Carlton vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Carlton?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sep 14, 2012
Broadbeach
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Checked the footy scores just prior to taking off from CBR to BNE. End of first quarter thought it would be a great night time viewing before bed. Landed and checked again... broken. Have not and will not watch the reply and my stay in BNE has been ruined. Looking at the stats, looks like once again our forwards are traffic cones. Need a key forward and would certainly not be saying a hard no to Jenkins. We need a genuine threat down the line.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Checked the footy scores just prior to taking off from CBR to BNE. End of first quarter thought it would be a great night time viewing before bed. Landed and checked again... broken. Have not and will not watch the reply and my stay in BNE has been ruined. Looking at the stats, looks like once again our forwards are traffic cones. Need a key forward and would certainly not be saying a hard no to Jenkins. We need a genuine threat down the line.

Must have missed the clearances, contested possessions and inside 50s stats if that’s your main takeaway.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I know we have a good midfield. It's competed consistently all year. Forward line has not.
Cumulative impact. I have no faith in our current forward set up.

Maybe don’t try and use stats to backup your opinions then if that’s all you want to get across.

Might want to check Fagans comments about our midfield against Carlton.

And I can assure you they were far from good on the weekend. Especially in the third when we barely won a clearance.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The more I think about it the more baffled I am Smith was chosen over Omac for this game.

I don't get it at all. Only conclusion I can draw is that we wanted to give Archie more game time but that reeks of underestimating Carlton.

It's not the biggest reason we lost - Cripps was pretty much why they won but I think Oscar would have helped significantly.

I don't get it at all. Only conclusion I can draw is that we wanted to give Archie more game time but that reeks of underestimating Carlton.

It's not the biggest reason we lost - Cripps was pretty much why they won but I think Oscar would have helped significantly.

We got killed in the air all match. Omac would have helped a lot. Fages screwed the pooch with that selection.

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Someone in the game day thread said Fages went off at poor Arch - like to know what was said.

Big O and no stupid ill disciplined acts and we probably win

Jan 11, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Someone in the game day thread said Fages went off at poor Arch - like to know what was said.

Big O and no stupid ill disciplined acts and we probably win

The cameras captured the initial exchange between Fagan and Smith just after Smith had given the free kick in front of the interchange bench. Lip reading Fagan's comment was "How stupid was that". Looked like he was giving him a decent bake and justifiably so.

carnaroys08

Cancelled
Sep 4, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Cowboys, Storm.
I think you have just had what is commonly called a MELT. I'ts a good one so well done but back to sanity tomorrow for you hopefully.
Either express a counter opinion on the points I've made or zip it shorty. This board has enough boring snipers like yourself who contribute very little by way of analysis of football.

lioninthesand

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
[
It doesn't worry me, I usually give the opposition supporters a like although I can see how some of our more sensitive/blunt posters would have a problem with it. Very difficult to ascertain online if posts come from a sanctimonious and/or spurious position, some I'm sure would come to our board fishing for a bite, not all would be altruistic in nature as I'm also sure some are... IMO.

Best to just ignore and skim over the post if you have a dislike of opposition posters on the board particularly after a hard to take loss.

Just getting a bit ahead of ourselves as fans acting as if we are above sympathy. I think Carlton fans are the only team that can relate to our struggle so welcome their condescension lol

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I have been dead set against trading for Josh Jenkins in the past, BUT if the powers that be at the Lions think that he could push us over the top into a flag window in 2020/21 I'd be for it... as long as the contract was no longer than 2 years and not on huge money.

McStay and Hipwood still look a couple of years off being reliable consistent performers at AFL level, if Marcus Adams can get on the park maybe he could be the one and Jenkins would not be needed.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I have been dead set against trading for Josh Jenkins in the past, BUT if the powers that be at the Lions think that he could push us over the top into a flag window in 2020/21 I'd be for it... as long as the contract was no longer than 2 years and not on huge money.

McStay and Hipwood still look a couple of years off being reliable consistent performers at AFL level, if Marcus Adams can get on the park maybe he could be the one and Jenkins would not be needed.

Jenkins is 31 next year and will want a good salary. I also can't see him leaving SA unless it is to go to Victoria - he's being groomed as the next Kane Cornes by Hutchy and you can't do that from Qld.

Would be an unlikely and bad move in many many respects.

Also - Jenkins really isn't a threat down the line. He was very good in an excellent adelaide team that had incredible ball movement and use. Big O offers as good of a contested marking option as Jenkins.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Jenkins is 31 next year and will want a good salary. I also can't see him leaving SA unless it is to go to Victoria - he's being groomed as the next Kane Cornes by Hutchy and you can't do that from Qld.

Would be an unlikely and bad move in many many respects.

Also - Jenkins really isn't a threat down the line. He was very good in an excellent adelaide team that had incredible ball movement and use. Big O offers as good of a contested marking option as Jenkins.
Yer, you could be right, I'm still a bit salty about blowing a 40-3 lead to the wooden spooners, looking for something.

Lazza16

The Lions Women...roaring into 2023
Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
As said in last thread go 2 rucks drop walker.
Neither can play forward. Rather go Martin and Walker was ruck as least Walker can play forward
Do not have a plan B when blues get going or Freo or Crows or dogs or anyone.
Nothing changed would of thrown McStay back even though he was our only forward showing something. Or hipwood as went missing again
Leave Lyons on Cripps when not working
No leadership in mid Neale has no help
Matho spent a fair bit of time on Cripps n not up to it either....needed Berry badly.

"Set up", that's an issue that many talk about

Would be interesting to get GPS numbers on our forwards.

McCarthy is the one who consistently gets up the ground to do something, others have bobbed up selectively across various matches. While the role they've been asked to play on that day influence this greatly, it'll be pretty annoying as a forward if you can't get the hands on footy all day and suddenly it drops on you in a burst and you've to do something quickly.

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If we're going to trade in needs to be a very good player mid 20's or younger. Preferably mid field. Parish would be great but think he'll stay at the bombers. Or one of GWS recent high draft picks languishing in the NEAFL

Fages on 360

-We decided not to tag Cripps as it wasn't working and we wanted to win more ball.
-Boys were dissapointed.
-We were 1-11 last year
-Learning experience
-We were 1-11 last year.
-We were 1-11 last year.

Cool.

Fages on 360

-We decided not to tag Cripps as it wasn't working and we wanted to win more ball.
-Boys were dissapointed.
-We were 1-11 last year
-Learning experience
-We were 1-11 last year.
-We were 1-11 last year.

Cool.

BRAB on Big Footy

-we lost it at the selection table
-no Bastinac = no finals
-Fags should hire me
-learning experience
-literally shaking
- 3KZ for coach!

;)

In the old days when I used to watch the State of Origin there was always that belief right up until it was mathematically impossible that Qld would pull off a miraculous come from behind win ... sadly that was not the feeling I had on Saturday. The feeling I had was of a creeping doom and pretty much nothing on that screen was telling me I was wrong. Even though at any point we could have changed something to stem the flow somehow I knew we were not going to do it (or rather that whatever we tried was going to fail) and through the course of the game their self believe rose by leaps and bounds, our belief was shattered into smaller and smaller chunks by repeated bashings of our collective heads against a wall of reality and my personal temporary slough of despond had my body language in the chair scream nothing but silent cries into a careless night (afternoon).

Ok - poetic rant out of the way.

I hated that game of course but I also know that Carlton did to us what we did to other teams over the last few years - they played out of their skins and we were already on our break with our heads not in the game where they should have been.

I think it was TheBrownDog who pitched late last year or early this year that this was going to be one of the hardest years to be a supporter ... we were no longer going to be happy with honourable losses but we were not mature enough as a team to enforce winning. We melted more over this game than some of our miserable capitulations over the last few years because we have come to expect better ... and for many of us we also came in with a certain amount of contempt for our opposition despite how well they pushed the Pies etc.

One thought I have is this - I cannot imagine us playing any worse that what we did Saturday and I have trouble imagining a team putting us to the sword more comprehensively than Carlton did - yet at no point was the game fully out of our reach. We talk about reducing the gap between the best and the worst in players well that goes for teams as well ... and despite everything we tried failing abysmally I didn't think we gave up or stopped trying and the last few years we would have.

Project percentage boost from Carlton failed but I suspect the lessons learned log from this one will pay us well going forward and in many ways this was a loss we had to have.

Back