Review Round 12, 2019 - Carlton vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Carlton?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

BRAB on Big Footy

-we lost it at the selection table
-no Bastinac = no finals
-**** should hire me
-learning experience
-literally shaking
- 3KZ for coach!

;)

Fages has already hired me but other than this it's completely accurate.

As disappointing as that loss was, I'm big enough to acknowledge that the Blues payed bloody well against us last Saturday. As well as they've played all season. They deserved their win....well that's my opinion anyway.

Carlton are playing the Dogs at Marvel next Saturday night in what is another "home" game for them

I am going to be thoroughly p!ssed off if they revert to type and put in a damp lettuce leaf effort in that game.

It would be just our luck though, if they now just switch off again.

We blew a 40-3 start.

It's completely on us.

I don’t think we were playing all that well at that point. We got a ridiculous 50 to Neale and a soft free to Allison. Carlton just kept turning it over. But then Carlton stepped up in the second half after McCluggage gave Cripps a goal assist for his first and we had no answer.

I don’t think we were playing all that well at that point. We got a ridiculous 50 to Neale and a soft free to Allison. Carlton just kept turning it over. But then Carlton stepped up in the second half after McCluggage gave Cripps a goal assist for his first and we had no answer.

Perhaps true

We still blew a 40-3 start.

When we were 40 -3 up we had a few more opportunities to score more goals as well but head up his ass decision by one player and other dismal ball use which we should have got a couple of more goals from could have been the ball game.:thumbsu:

We blew a 40-3 start.

It's completely on us.

I disagree.

I think that's an over simplistic view

It's never completely about how well or how badly your team plays. The opposition always has a say in it. If they play like crap all day, you will only have to bring a reasonable effort to beat them. But if they bring their A Game, you better bring yours as well. You might even have to bring your A+ game to beat them.

There have been many Jekyll and Hyde performances in the game over the years, where one team looks completely hopeless for a large part of the game and then through tactical/ strategic brilliance or happenstance or a combination of both, they have come back from the dead to snatch unlikely victories.

The competition is very even and there have been upsets galore. And it's not always because the other side has played badly or not "turned up" (which is a mind numbing stupid phrase anyway)

There have been some big comebacks from quarter time and half time deficits. Our own Lions have twice this season come back to record convincing victories after trailing abysmally at quarter time (WCE and HAW games). We looked almost dead in the water late in the last quarter against North in Round 2 but rallied to pull off the win.

On Saturday, even when we were 40-3 up, I never felt we had total control of the game. The score at any given point ,doesn't always accurately reflect the state of play.

We still led by 3 goals at half time but a perusal of the stats demonstrated that the Blues held sway in most key areas, so I was worried even then.

By 3/4 time I firmly believed that a Lions win was very unlikely, even though on the scoreboard, we were still well in the game.

If you look at the full time stats, it's even worse. It was really a total domination by the Blues. 15 points in the end probably flattered us.

Or if you look at it another way, we probably did well to hang in for as long as we did.

We didn't have our best day at the office but the Blues certainly had their best one for many weeks.

That's the way it rolls sometimes.

I look at 15 points is flattering. The blues should of won by a lot more.
They where on top for 50% of the 1st for 2 points. We played 20 good minutes of footy.
We did the same against the dogs.
Let Freo back in and the crows would of won if the game went any longer
Said this in a few threads now need to play 4 qtrs and work out a way to stop a run on.

I look at 15 points is flattering. The blues should of won by a lot more.
They where on top for 50% of the 1st for 2 points. We played 20 good minutes of footy.
We did the same against the dogs.
Let Freo back in and the crows would of won if the game went any longer
Said this in a few threads now need to play 4 qtrs and work out a way to stop a run on.

Our backline played quite well

Our backline played quite well

I do agree with this.

We were under siege for most of second half as a direct result of the domination that the Blues established in the midfield. I lost count of the number of times that our defenders were isolated in one one one contests deep in the Carlton forward line, especially in the last quarter. HA, Gardiner,Rich ,MRobbo and Hodgey worked their arses off and did a bang up job to keep the scoreline respectable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quite simple really ,we were gifted a 6 goal lead ,had all the momentum ,didn't take advantage from some easy opportunities which signalled we were lax and a bit off the boil ,they got a sniff and built on the domination that had been brewing all game.

Our defence basically kept us in it right up until the end when we still could have possibly sneaked it ,which would have been an injustice, we had looked tired and spent from halfway through the second quarter.

Sure they looked good but in the second half they were taking uncontested marks down the line and inside 50 which normally we could've thwarted ,but we just didn't have the legs. They played really well ,we flattered them even more.

On reflection I think we'd already let down for the bye and when we got that 6 goal break we were relieved and thought we'd done our job.

They murdered us on the stats sheet. It's only one game ,we're 7 -5 ,time to regroup and take on board where we fell down

I don’t care that we were 1-11 last years and that we have won 6 more games this year by comparison. I just want to whine and complain about how we aren’t 12-0. It’s pathetic that we haven’t learnt everything about winning when the majority of our players are young and our veterans have little or no finals experience because we were stuck below mediocrity for years.

I hope the coaches are ashamed of themselves for not turning things around quicker. If we don’t win this weekend then I expect a resignation from Fagan and company.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I hope the coaches are ashamed of themselves for not turning things around quicker. If we don’t win this weekend then I expect a resignation from Fagan and company.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I can guarantee a win this weekend buttercup, we have the Bye covered, I'm predicting a percentage boosting win, Fages is safe.

We shall be singing the song this weekend.

No one has pointed out that Carlton were awful very early. They had all the play (the stats at the 15 minute mark were damming) but they coughed it up, stuffed it up and played like the bottom side they are. This is why many say they didn't fell confident even when we were many goals up. Carlton should have been three goals in front half way through the first quarter.
In the end the margin flattered us. A good team would have made a mess of us.
Let's hope that Saturday was a aberration.

I think people are underestimating the physical and mental toll a physical month of footy can have on a young group. To back it up week in week out can be a lot harder than people realise and it'd be very easy to prepare for a game, only to be mentally out of it. This is something you can only learn with experience in any job, but especially football/sport. I have no doubt that the break has come at the perfect time for the players. A refresher looks to be exactly what they need and they'll know what level they'll need to play at to beat the Saints next week.

Q
I think people are underestimating the physical and mental toll a physical month of footy can have on a young group. To back it up week in week out can be a lot harder than people realise and it'd be very easy to prepare for a game, only to be mentally out of it. This is something you can only learn with experience in any job, but especially football/sport. I have no doubt that the break has come at the perfect time for the players. A refresher looks to be exactly what they need and they'll know what level they'll need to play at to beat the Saints next week.

And Carlton have had a few slow, untaxing week so they were ready to let rip before the bye. We’ll come out hard after they bye, and Carlton will go back to conserving energy.

Fages on 360

-We decided not to tag Cripps as it wasn't working and we wanted to win more ball.
-Boys were dissapointed.
-We were 1-11 last year
-Learning experience
-We were 1-11 last year.
-We were 1-11 last year.

Cool.

Oh mate, just watched the segment and you're such a s**t stirrer.

Shorty... ouch that hurt :) so much agro that is really not necessary
What's not necessary are mindless childish comments. If you have a different opinion to someone try a well reasoned counter argument rather than teen dribble.

Oh mate, just watched the segment and you're such a **** stirrer.
I watched Fagan on 360 and none of what he said filled me with any confidence whatsoever.

Fair enough that he is chuffed with having won 6 more games than at the same stage this time last year, but I reckon he is resting on his laurels by not publicly accepting that the club is pretty damned pleased with itself irrespective of having just blown a 40 point lead to the worst team in the comp and dropping other winnable games which should have seen the Lions firmly entrenched in the top 4.

Saturday's loss was even more galling by the fact that all could see Carlton would fight this one out and that Fagan again went in with a side or rather some players that were horribly out of form or simply not up to it, yet did so anyway.

Fages on 360

-We decided not to tag Cripps as it wasn't working and we wanted to win more ball.
-Boys were dissapointed.
-We were 1-11 last year
-Learning experience
-We were 1-11 last year.
-We were 1-11 last year.

Cool.

Do you think Chris Fagan has done a bad job since coming in as coach?

Do you think Chris Fagan has done a bad job since coming in as coach?
IMO he has done an ok job, without being great, and is definitely an upgrade on Leppitsch.

I also think Fagan's greatest strength has been his ability to unite and settle the club (which we desperately needed at the time) although his greatest weakness is the double standards and playing favourites at the selection table which is an ongoing concern and could be his downfall and the reason why have been dropping points.

Back