Review Round 12, 2019 - Carlton vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Carlton?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Lyons has been hopeless at tagging any time anyone's tried him at it . Mitch was the man.

It really looks like a big coaching blunder to not tag Cripps seriously with one of the Robbos and yet let Neale get completely blocked out of the game everytime he went near it and not have someone help him out or protect him. Copped the double whammy.

Maybe as Fages suggested our guys were just out of gas and couldn't go with Cripps . But I found it fairly galling to see him run around doing what he liked ,taking grabs inside 50 , in the last 40 minutes with no one within cooee of him . We were virtually screaming out to pick him up.

A bit of a whisper at the celebration night that some of the guys were a bit sore . Harris ,Mitch ,Zorks obviously and one or two others.

On the face of it we looked outcoached in a basic way but maybe Fages tried and our guys just weren't up to it.

Cripps has been successfully tagged in the last few weeks by Steele, Clarke and De Boer.
Though tbh our whole team was down in those games and Cripps clearly had the coaching drama with Bolton on his mind...no way a second gamer like Clarke could stop Cripps if he was in the right mindset.

Fagan said he did try a few tags but when it didn't work, they just decided to go head to head.

But watching the game a few times, i didn't really see a hard tag at all...the likes of Lyons or Mathieson sometimes stood next to him at a stoppage, but they didn't really put much body work into him and stick to him...once the ball was in play they just ran their own way. So i think Fagan did make a blunder there.

Compare to Ed Curnow who stuck to Neale like glue and got under his skin, taking him out of the game really. Neale was absolutely carving us up in the first half and set up your goal at the start of the 3rd.

Cripps has been successfully tagged in the last few weeks by Steele, Clarke and De Boer.
Though tbh our whole team was down in those games and Cripps clearly had the coaching drama with Bolton on his mind...no way a second gamer like Clarke could stop Cripps if he was in the right mindset.

Fagan said he did try a few tags but when it didn't work, they just decided to go head to head.

But watching the game a few times, i didn't really see a hard tag at all...the likes of Lyons or Mathieson sometimes stood next to him at a stoppage, but they didn't really put much body work into him and stick to him...once the ball was in play they just ran their own way. So i think Fagan did make a blunder there.

Compare to Ed Curnow who stuck to Neale like glue and got under his skin, taking him out of the game really. Neale was absolutely carving us up in the first half and set up your goal at the start of the 3rd.
Maybe we looked at the vision of Cripps the previous week and underestimated what a threat he could be.

Doesn't matter now but he was on his own for the second half and I don't think we'll make that mistake again

Harris n Zorks could hardly move 2nd half........carrying injuries.......Zorks tenacious for fighting on.....showed we need more pace n strength on the ball.....hope Ely n big Berry n Fadyen? can eventually provide the strength and Bailey n Little Berry n Joyce can be zippy with Madden n Coleman coming on in defence.
Hugh was carrying an injury too,probably they were all pretty sore .

One disadvantage of having the bye this week is we have to bloody stew on and review this game for 2 loooong weeks.
giphy.gif

Hoping I wont sound like a flog, but Cripps has been tagged for the last 2 years and it has barely made any impact on his games, hes just flat out bigger and stronger than every other mid in the comp. Dunno what went on the last month, reports have come out that Bolton was told 2 weeks prior to the announcement that he was gone, and that lined up with Cripps very unusual down period, so I'm not sure if he was devastated or annoyed and that got to him on game day? I think Fagans a great coach, clearly said they tried tagging him but it just wasnt helping and in the last 2 years of watching Cripps I'd say thats pretty standard, Pendlebury on his podcast said they tried as well and it just wasn't working. When Dylan Clarke, a kid who cant get a game at essendon shuts down Cripps I think its pretty clear something was going on.

Imo you guys didn't lose because of coaching decisions, you needed Berry or a bigger body than Robinson if you were going to try and take Cripps out of the game. I think you just needed a better impact from your xfactor players. I'm not sure whats happened to Rayner but I was looking forward to seeing him this year with another pre season under his belt, we have a shocking defense when the ball hits the deck and you need guys like McCarthy and Rayner to chip in more to help Charlie. I think the lions should go after someone like Billings or McLean to get the smaller guys more involved in the forward line cuz at the moment it looks like Neale and McCluggage or bust when ur kicking to your forwards. Look how well Ablett is getting Geelongs small forwards involved at the moment. You guys have genuine goal kickers but it just seems like they are really having to battle and scrap for their goals, where as the top teams serve it to them on a silver platter.

Really hoping the Lions finish the year strong, sort of a secondary team I like to support when the blues arent playing. Been too long since we've seen our clubs have a decent crack at the top 8, just my two cents, but I don't think the critique of Fagan not putting more attention on Cripps after half time when he was in that sort of mood is justified, hes been great for your club so far.

maybe a mod can close the thread and we can all take a few days off? :D

If you hover over your avatar icon, you'll see some "Log out" text. I don't think I've ever used it, but I'm lead to believe it could possibly give a couple of days off - longer if you don't remember your password.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

you needed Berry or a bigger body than Robinson if you were going to try and take Cripps out of the game.

Just picking on this:

Matt de Boer: 189 cm, 87 kg.
Dylan Clarke: 187 cm, 87 kg.
Mitch Robinson: 184 cm, 90 kg.

While he's an inch shorter he's got a bigger body than the other two, and the eye test bears that out. Our main frustration is that a) Robinson has done the job successfully already this year when called upon, and b) it wasn't even tried.

For comparison apparently we did try the following who doesn't have much tagging experience:

Jarryd Lyons: 184 cm, 84 kg. Smaller and lighter and less experienced.

Pretty pumped to jump into the review threads for the next 10 Carlton losses this season and Lionsplain to Carlton fans why they lost.

Literally our worst game of the year and Carlton barely scraped over the line. Let's not get too excited.

i think the Cripps tag thing is being a little over played to be honest. We were up by forty, players thought they had won and stopped, Carlton hadn’t been that bad, we got comprehensively beaten everywhere in the midfield and our fwd line, the Blues got their blood pumping and we panicked. Once the disarray started and the structure disappeared surprise surprise one of the best players in the league went ballistic. No one complained when we didn’t hard tag Cripps in the first quarter, and Fagen would have rightly thought our team was good enough to not have to, particularly as we don’t have an expert tagger. Damage was done I think long before Cripps went mental. Trying to find a player with enough confidence to tag Cripps at that point was fruitless. Everyone was nervous. We should have lost by a lot more than the four Cripps kicked. It was amazing we were that close at the end.

i think the Cripps tag thing is being a little over played to be honest. We were up by forty, players thought they had won and stopped, Carlton hadn’t been that bad, we got comprehensively beaten everywhere in the midfield and our fwd line, the Blues got their blood pumping and we panicked. Once the disarray started and the structure disappeared surprise surprise one of the best players in the league went ballistic. No one complained when we didn’t hard tag Cripps in the first quarter, and Fagen would have rightly thought our team was good enough to not have to, particularly as we don’t have an expert tagger. Damage was done I think long before Cripps went mental. Trying to find a player with enough confidence to tag Cripps at that point was fruitless. Everyone was nervous. We should have lost by a lot more than the four Cripps kicked. It was amazing we were that close at the end.
I think we've done Cripps to death . We made a conscious decision not to tag him and he killed us . Had Zorks not been injured and Neale not tagged so effectively we could've well and truly evened it up. We sort of gave up on Cripps which wasn't a good look.

That's over . It all gets back to personnel in our M/F .We really miss Berry . We need Berry and another good player in there to take the next step.

Pretty pumped to jump into the review threads for the next 10 Carlton losses this season and Lionsplain to Carlton fans why they lost.

Literally our worst game of the year and Carlton barely scraped over the line. Let's not get too excited.

To be fair I have been Lionsplaining Carlton's failures in rebuilding to them on the main board all last year and this year so I can't blame them for popping in for a comment here.

I don't agree that our players thought that we had won and stopped. We had two goals that we were gifted and Carlton was rushing their kicks in the 1st quarter and making silly turnovers. We were lucky to be up by more than 20 points and that's where our luck ran out. After quarter time it was all them and their inability to really hurt us is what gave us a chance till close to the end.

Metoo.

The funny thing about life is that your losses and the bad things that happen to you always seem to have more impact than whatever you get from the highs

I dunno. Maybe its a different perspective but when I think of this season on the future I'm probably going to remember walking out of the Gabba after round 1 and thinking (for the first time in at least 5 years) that we actually weren't going to be crap and awful to watch.

I'll be disappointed if we don't make the 8 from this starting position, particularly given the games we've let slip away but I can't believe how much better it feels to know that we are either favourites or a decent chance of winning most games.

Sure beats spending my time thinking about our draft position as early as in May.

[QUOTE="

Sure beats spending my time thinking about our draft position as early as in May.[/QUOTE]

I've been spending a lot of time in June & May thinking about our draft position. Deathriding the Suns & Pies. :)

The goal posts change once you get off to a good start in a season, we all get short memories very quickly lol. Before the season started, I doubt there would be one of us here on the board that wouldn't have peed their pants with excitement about being 7-5 right now, but I guess once you get off to that great start & think about finals, then yeah, you focus on what could've been with the close loses rather than being objective. Hope can be a dangerous thing.

Would be funny if the player Robinson is trying to recruit is Cripps and we somehow get him at the end of the season.

Not going to happen, but would piss my Carlton mates off.

Back