Preview Round 12, 2020: St.Kilda v Essendon - Gabba, Sunday 16th August, 3:35PM AEST *JONES 100TH*

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 43 82.7%
  • Bombers

Votes: 9 17.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rest membrey. Marshell to play mostly forward Ryder to take the ruck duties Coff for robbo and gers for ross

Hill the lowest rated wingman in the comp this year (AFL player ratings)!
Lmao lower rated than Newnes?

tenor.gif

The sad thing is, I thought Phillips was a bit ordinary despite kicking a couple of goals… but it would be hard to drop him when he did twice as much as our highest profile recruit.

While we were in the match Phillips was our best player. He went off the boil when we dropped our bundle.

On a positive note , I think both Bytel and Phillips did enough to hold their spots for the drug cheats .

I really thought we should have rested a bunch of players for the Cats game . So for the drug cheats I would rest Coffield , Clark , Howard , Hill , Billings , Carlisle, Wilkie , Gresham and Marshall .

Bring in Savage , DMac , Clavarino, Lonie , Byrnes , Austin , Ryder , Langlands, Robbo .

I know it’s going to the extreme and everyone will laugh at this but the players look tired and a rest would be good for them . Also the players coming in will hopefully seize their chance .

It won’t happen of course but it’s my opinion.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yes it's probably being a bit harsh, but the guys Geelong rotated through the wings were absolutely destroying us.
Yeah, we need to get back to the setup that’s got us wins so far: Billings and Hill on the wings, Jones back in the guts. No messing around, need these 4 points desperately.

Not sure where else Phillips can play outside wing so he goes out for this one for Ryder or Jones.

Going to be some headaches for selection with the other out but Geary looks really sore still so can sit it out.

On a positive note , I think both Bytel and Phillips did enough to hold their spots for the drug cheats .

I really thought we should have rested a bunch of players for the Cats game . So for the drug cheats I would rest Coffield , Clark , Howard , Hill , Billings , Carlisle, Wilkie , Gresham and Marshall .

Bring in Savage , DMac , Clavarino, Lonie , Byrnes , Austin , Ryder , Langlands, Robbo .

Look as I posted I wanted to rest more players against the Cats for Dons game, but to make 9 changes is simply way too disruptive in a team.

Dons's have a few injured players of course, but that many changes would give them an edge.

At least the Saints have 2 extra days to recover than the Dons. Which after our lacklustre performance against the Cats we most definitely need.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ross to miss one more week with his calf.

Out: Hill (omitted), Geary (rested/omitted)
In: Ryder, Jones

Paton - Howard - Wilkie
Clark - Carlisle - Coffield
Billings - Steele - Phillips
Butler - Membrey - Kent
Marshall - King - Hind
Ryder - Jones - Gresham
Long - Sinclair - Bytel - Battle

Watching Geary hobbling after Geelong defenders streaming away from him obviously is doing more than I realised for the players around him. If Membrey and him got a touch it might make a few kids pick up. The they don't get near it it sets an example for kids to follow to though.

Hill, Geary, Membrey had 23 possessions between them, zero score despite 2 being forwards. That's some leadership. Steele was more of a leader getting his 25 possessions and his one point was more than their combined scores. Ed Phillips had 7 less possessions that the three leaders combined and kicked 2 of our 4 goals.

I have always loved Geary but I felt embarrassed for him to be honest. He looked slow and beaten. It's not his fault, time catches up with every player. I'd have him managed for a few games, he's past it.

His season so far has netted 15, 3, 6,11,9,7,6 disposals. I get he's tagged players where they would have destroyed us if not for his effort but really only the Carlton game was a success. He really killed Docherty's game and he was good against the Dogs limiting JJ, but the rest of them he's been carried.

His last season as Captain I reckon...and then a token "Thanks for the effort & contribution" contract next year to pass him through into retirement. How many more games to his 200th? I reckon the club will push him towards that milestone, and then quietly nudge him to being rested/managed/leg awarenessed for whatever is left in the season...or a break in emergency if we fill in the numbers for finals.

Hill won't be getting dropped if Ratts comments are accurate. I would deploy him to the HBF and let him take a heap of kick outs. Get the footy in his hands.

Moving a mid to the HBF is like Robert Walls old "Throw him in the ruck" line foe KPF who can't find the pill.

OUT -
Hind (Omit)
King (Managed)
Marshall (Managed)

IN -
Byrnes
Ryder
Abbott
No jones no ross? Double rucks with Abbott? 😂

This is just going around in circles so this is my last response on the topic. But your first sentence in bold is the problem.

Hill shouldn't be anywhere near the ball. His job is to wreck structures and create space. He needs outwork his opponent and be alone in space so he can deliver I50. To do that, he should be running away from the ball.

As he does that better than pretty much anyone else in any game (see GPS numbers) that is a weapon. Our job is to get the ball to him as he does it. He shouldn't be getting it himself. He shouldn't be anywhere near the ball in a contested situation. That would break structures. We have to be good enough to get the ball out to him.

According to your own posts, that is particularly an issue in the second half. His GPS numbers say he is still running, so the issue therefore becomes delivery to him in the second half.

Yelling at Hill to impact the game is like yelling at clouds. According to the coaches he is positioned where he should be. Even the commentators can see that. But he cant impact the game until we get him the ball.

The thing I just don't understand about your position is your level of certainty based on 0 available evidence. You cant see any of this on tv. In the absence of going to games (and seeing this live), we have what the coaches say, what they commentators say, and what the GPS number say. They all say Hill is doing the right thing and not being rewarded. I am going with that

If you or others choose not to believe what the data and coaches say (and just respond with "GPS tells you nothing" or "I dont put any stock in what Jono Brown says" or "I am disappointed in what Ratts said"), then nothing I say will change your mind. It is like talking to someone that yells "fake news" back at you after each piece of evidence is presented. So probably best to leave it there
Having been lucky enough to see us live, I can confirm you are correct. He does a lot of running that creates space and options that we’re still not fully utilising. I can also confirm from watching tv that he squibs contests 😊
AFL is played over such a big area that I think you need to watch live to really see the game plans and strategies, then on tv to see individual play around the ball. That way you get close to capturing the whole game.

Long struggles to get enough of the ball in any position.
It would be exacerbated in the midfield.
and...
The club would know from training if he had an uncanny ability to extract the ball, so you're talking about a mid who plays on the wing and gets less of the ball than Hill or Hind.

This appears to be true, but his attributes at the moment is moving bodies making way for the Clarkes, Patons, Coffields etc. to mop up, while getting the odd mark & possession himself.
Now imagine him doing “The Undertaker” job in the centre, moving bodies (which when moved are going to be hurting) giving a clear passage way to the likes of Gresh, Clarke, Billings, Jones even Steele who wouldn‘t have to shoulder the heavy work at all times.
Surely for a short bursts every now & then, would well be worth a try.

It’s classic St.Kilda.It was only 3 weeks ago we made Tex Walker look like f****** Plugger

There is a long history - Bob Keddie, Shane Ellen, Billy Brownless, Max Rooke.

I actually said in the Saints vs Cats preview thread that Rohan or Miers were the dangers. It is this sort of player that always seems to have a day out against Saints.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back