Preview Round 12, 2020: St.Kilda v Essendon - Gabba, Sunday 16th August, 3:35PM AEST *JONES 100TH*

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 43 82.7%
  • Bombers

Votes: 9 17.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ok so we drop the bloke who kicked 3 crucial goals 2 weeks before & was instrumental in sparking the team multiple times last week.

Irrational hatred? Cmon mate. I said Phillips played well but IMO Hind is a vastly better player.

Id suggest your description of Hind is closer to irrational hatred.

Try to respond without the smart arse put downs too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like Hind, I prefer him in the team to Hill sometimes.
The above is not hatred. Its stats. Facts.
Based on current form, Phillips is of more value than Hind.
You can't select players based on what they did 2 games previously.

Four years ago a mate of mine who has ties with Essendon told me about a VFL player from Ballarat. That was Nick Hind. Going to games together on occasions I got to watch him play in the VFL . I have followed him since then and was glad when we picked him up. He has something, something we need. He may not play the perfect game and is going to have bad games. No one ever said that he was a Dusty or a A grade player but will give his all. These guys are playing for their spots everyweek and have to make snap decisions, some you find selfish. You don't get games by only giving the ball off and setting others up each week, you have to do things yourself. These guys are human and not all are on big bucks and are living the high life. They are providing the escape we all need at this time. I thought joining this forum would be good to dicuss games and back the team and players. But it does nothing but allow people to attack each other and these players. I hope none of them or their families ever read the things that are said on here. The lack of respect is mind blowing. Not all these guys have had it easy and maybe won't be in the top 10 but they are playing for the club / brand and supporters. Maybe it's time to just do that and support them instead of ripping them apart. I am biased when it comes to Hind as I have followed him and his progress, I don't deny that. He will give his all given a fair chance. I'm not stupid and realize he will get dropped due to lack of form etc and won't be gifted games.

OK so we drop the guy who created half our score, the guy who had involvement with most of the scores, the guy who kicked 5 into our 50. The guy with 100% disposal efficiency.
Because the guy who kicked 1 inside 50, who had 1 effective disposal has the ability to create goals.

Yeah.
Sure

Thank's Ed, great game but we are going to drop you , because ....well to be honest we have an irrational hatred, and you might as well quit.
Instead we are going to give a game to the guy who touched it 8 times and managed to get one handball off without ******* up.
Ok so we drop the bloke who kicked 3 crucial goals 2 weeks before & was instrumental in sparking the team multiple times last week.

Irrational hatred? Cmon mate. I said Phillips played well but IMO Hind is a vastly better player.

Id suggest your description of Hind is closer to irrational hatred.

Try to respond without the smart arse put downs too.

I reckon we drop both, everybody happy then. :thumbsu:

Both outside of our best 22 IMO.

Yet the numbers show he has been absolutely crap in second half of games this year.

You cant honestly tell me that Ratten would be happy with those numbers. Or that you can only blame is teammates for his pathetic numbers 2nd halves this year.

I’ll go with Ratts’ thoughts on the matter over yours.

Team is 7-4 with Hilly still to click into gear (and a number of other players too). I’d suggest that actually a positive.

I like Hind, I prefer him in the team to Hill sometimes.
The above is not hatred. Its stats. Facts.
Based on current form, Phillips is of more value than Hind.
You can't select players based on what they did 2 games previously.

Soooo... I cant select Hind based on his form in 2 of the last 3 games but you can select Phillips on his form in a half of footy in 1 game.

Okey doke.

Sounds like solid reasoning.

Four years ago a mate of mine who has ties with Essendon told me about a VFL player from Ballarat. That was Nick Hind. Going to games together on occasions I got to watch him play in the VFL . I have followed him since then and was glad when we picked him up. He has something, something we need. He may not play the perfect game and is going to have bad games. No one ever said that he was a Dusty or a A grade player but will give his all. These guys are playing for their spots everyweek and have to make snap decisions, some you find selfish. You don't get games by only giving the ball off and setting others up each week, you have to do things yourself. These guys are human and not all are on big bucks and are living the high life. They are providing the escape we all need at this time. I thought joining this forum would be good to dicuss games and back the team and players. But it does nothing but allow people to attack each other and these players. I hope none of them or their families ever read the things that are said on here. The lack of respect is mind blowing. Not all these guys have had it easy and maybe won't be in the top 10 but they are playing for the club / brand and supporters. Maybe it's time to just do that and support them instead of ripping them apart. I am biased when it comes to Hind as I have followed him and his progress, I don't deny that. He will give his all given a fair chance. I'm not stupid and realize he will get dropped due to lack of form etc and won't be gifted games.
Are people being out of line and abusive towards players? I haven't read that, only robust reviews after an appalling loss.

I think it can be difficult to read criticism of players that you have a connection to, but it really is half the point of forum, to chat about form, good & bad and team changes etc.

Last edited:
Yet the numbers show he has been absolutely crap in second half of games this year.

You cant honestly tell me that Ratten would be happy with those numbers. Or that you can only blame is teammates for his pathetic numbers 2nd halves this year.

Yeah, I reckon there is pressure to keep him playing as well. The optics of dropping your prized big money recruit don't look great.

Exactly and it is never mentioned by those that want him dropped. He is the captain of a side that selected him as such. We have absolutely no idea what it would do to the morale of the entire playing group. I bet it wouldn't do wonders.
At this stage it just looks like Ratts is trying to find a position on the ground for Gears to fill because frankly the game has gone past him. He is a good defender but his composure and exit kick is not good enough compared to others now available (Clark and Wilkie), and up forward as a lock down player he can only play on certain type of players, and with the Cats he was totally exposed. We can't afford to carry him any more. He may be a great leader but we now have a better 22 without him. :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Being in the public eye in the digital age isn't much fun. Like all players he has his fans and his haters. Some players start hated and end up loved, some start loved and end up Seb Ross. If anyone was crazy enough to read what people write about people they know or about themselves they'd need therapy. People are opinionated dick heads, me included. Most of what is posted is said in an off the cuff, removed from reality spat. Digital mediums have made everyone have a voice, unfortunately we all think we're the good ones and that everyone else is an irrational dickhead. Don't take it too seriously or you'll need therapy too. I love Hindy, he's a real bee in a bottle pocket rocket. I love pace more than just about anything in modern footy, it's such a weapon when it breaks open play. Hind is still inconsistent but he's got some really good elements.

I like Parker and Lonie too, with few spots and guys like Kent playing career best footy some are going to get left out. Often we justify our opinions based on the last game of footy. It's pretty tough for the guys on the edge of the team.

Think we are a bit harsh on our small forward to be honest.

The small forward role is always hard when your side is struggling. It would have been near impossible in the weekend as our talls weren't even able to get the ball to ground.
Finding something from nothing isn't that easy to do consistently, probably why doing the team first things becomes an even more important KPI for these guys.

At any rate, I'd love to see Lone-dog hunt down Hurley on a wing again this week.

I reckon we drop both, everybody happy then. :thumbsu:

Both outside of our best 22 IMO.

I reckon for selection integrity it would be hard to drop either. Butler was worse than Hind but obviously has runs on the board, dropping a forward after that game would be pretty rough. Membrey hardly gave a yelp either. If Ratts had pure form as a reason to drop players, Hill, Membrey and Geary would be first out. None have been playing well for weeks.

lol with out reading 12 pages, people are melting and wanting "statements" and wholesale changes for what? we were clearly flat against gold coast. We came to this game in which i believe we weren't intending on winning(not a deliberate loss but not spending all our tickets to get a W when there are plenty of hard games to come) but also not intending on getting smashed.

Ross, Ryder and Jones automatically in if fit.
Although if Bytel gets a 2nd chance id say Ross stays out.

So likely be Phillips out, even though had a decent game is still Fringe player and ???

I doubt we will repeat the performance against Essendon. If we do then maybe we have a reason to have mini melts?

I reckon for selection integrity it would be hard to drop either. Butler was worse than Hind but obviously has runs on the board, dropping a forward after that game would be pretty rough. Membrey hardly gave a yelp either. If Ratts had pure form as a reason to drop players, Hill, Membrey and Geary would be first out. None have been playing well for weeks.
We still need to pick the team which gives us a best chance at a win.

As WAsainstfan88 says… Ryder, Jones and Ross all walk in.

I reckon Hind has had 4+ unrealistic blind pings at goal in the past couple of weeks, so I would be giving him a spell for that just like Lonie did after the Adelaide game.

lol with out reading 12 pages, people are melting and wanting "statements" and wholesale changes for what? we were clearly flat against gold coast. We came to this game in which i believe we weren't intending on winning(not a deliberate loss but not spending all our tickets to get a W when there are plenty of hard games to come) but also not intending on getting smashed.

Ross, Ryder and Jones automatically in if fit.
Although if Bytel gets a 2nd chance id say Ross stays out.

So likely be Phillips out, even though had a decent game is still Fringe player and ???

I doubt we will repeat the performance against Essendon. If we do then maybe we have a reason to have mini melts?

Pretty normal after a 10 goal loss. I think emotions will die down by the time selection comes around again. Last time making the players clean up their own mess seemed to work and hopefully it will again.

We still need to pick the team which gives us a best chance at a win.

As WAsainstfan88 says… Ryder, Jones and Ross all walk in.

I reckon Hind has had 4+ unrealistic blind pings at goal in the past couple of weeks, so I would be giving him a spell for that just like Lonie did after the Adelaide game.

He might still, it sucks for guys on the margins because there is little to base selection on. It will depend on the review I guess, if it looked like he didn't do the team thing he's probably in trouble.

Are people being out of line and abusive towards players? I haven't read that, only robust reviews after an appalling loss.

I think it can be difficult to read criticism of players that you have a connection to, but it really is half the point of forum, to chat about form, good & bad and team changes etc.
Never mentioned the word abuse. Chat about form and changes are good. But can be done with respect to players and each other. I did mention I wasn't stupid and realize players get dropped. But to be judged on one game when the whole team were outplayed is questionable. Happened against Collingwood aswell, I just don't understand the logic of some on here. Maybe it's not the place for me. The meaning of being a supporter to me is just different.

Ratten for once make a FREAKING selection statement

Paton on Rohan was a terrible coaching move as was Carlisle on Hawkins. Both were really really BAD.

MAKE A SELECTION STATEMENT.

Marshall was quiet AGAIN. Only been good when Ryder plays recently.

Ed Phillips was good, where's his knockers?

Out: Coffield, Paton, long, Marshall, battle, Hill, Carlisle, King (rested) - rest omitted.

In: Ross, Sav, Robbo, Jones, Ryder, Abbott, Marsh and Lonie.
I can honestly say they are the silliest changes I’ve ever seen. Marshall quiet again. Probably top 4 after being great the week before. Carlisle dropped? One of our best all year. Long nearly our best last game. Would lose by 10 goals minimum. Terrible

He might still, it sucks for guys on the margins because there is little to base selection on. It will depend on the review I guess, if it looked like he didn't do the team thing he's probably in trouble.
I don’t think anyone will be dropped. 3 in and 3 managed. That way they can be left out again if we have a good win and straight back in if we lose.

Drop hind after 1 poor game is ridiculous. Look how many games newnes played. Everyone was sh*t bar marshall bytel phillips steele then rest can go a get fed.

Ive been told 8 players that played were ill... can anyone confirm this.
I was ill watching the game, maybe they also got it from watching each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back