Preview Round 12, 2020: St.Kilda v Essendon - Gabba, Sunday 16th August, 3:35PM AEST *JONES 100TH*

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 43 82.7%
  • Bombers

Votes: 9 17.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that clearly shows we don’t need him to be taking marks and kicking goals, if he’s playing his role that Ratts is giving him and we are winning I don’t care how many he gets

While are winning it's okay. He'll want to get moving soon.

In: Ross, Jones, Ryder
Out: Geary, Phillips, Hind
Yes I know Phillips kicked 2 goals, the second one was one every player would kick, was just in a good spot. But we can't get rid of sinclair or Kent IMO

Reckon this thread like the team needs to focus on the game v Essendon.

Essendon have some ins this week including Hurley, Townsend and potentially Hooker , they will be seeing this game as their way to launch into the finals.

Very disappointed in the margin of the loss against the Cats who did all the basics very well and took away our strengths (quick attacking ball movement and small mids kicking goals) and played to their strengths (controlling the ball and not letting us near it).

Yep we would have had a right to be knackered and as a Saints supporter I would hope at some stage we would get rid of those type of losses.

We can not start counting wins down the track - need to win this one.

Last edited:
Lets keep it on topic. St.Kilda v Essendon.

All other stuff can go in here

Thanks

These are the goals we expect Hill to be kicking
Brad Hill has never been much of a goal kicker though. He has averaged 0.5 goals per game over his career and the last few years its been even less. IMO his strength is breaking lines and moving the ball out of the defensive half with speed. For whatever reason, I haven't seen that too often this season.
This year he's also down on his regular inside 50 numbers; however, we've been fortunate that our forwards have really made the most of their opportunities.
Having Hill getting more ball inside 50 lace out would certainly help our scoring output.
Hopefully this is the week that Hill starts to shine.

Jones and Ryder definite ins, you would think, whilst Ross will also be in this group if fully fit. Whilst on the topic of Ross, I feel as though he really needs to step up in the absence of Gresham. If he can't, then I feel a trade might need to be organised this year, otherwise we could fast forward 12M to him being a potential delist candidate with how quickly he seems to be slipping over the past couple seasons. I have faith that he can turn it around, but the true definition of 'faith' does not lend itself well to confidence.

As far as the outs are concerned, the first priority (after Gresh's out) would be anyone that needs a rest, and going from there. I appreciate that Phillips kicked 2 quick goals, but the positive component of kicking 2 quick goals is that the player could easily go on to a big performance if they maintain that level of play; unfortunately, Phillips didn't do a whole lot outside of that patch. Given that he was the emergency, it makes sense for him to be first to go; one poor performance and one okay performance does not justify staying in the side.

If there are proper scratch matches being run, then I wouldn't be averse to dropping Hill. I feel like forcing him to play amongst a lower standard of player might embarrass him into changing things up, but dropping him just to watch from the sidelines won't be as fruitful and will hurt the team, you'd think.

But who else could be the third out? I would be filthy if Bytel is dropped after that performance, but he seems next on the list. Truthfully, Geary should be making way based on the last 2 performances (GC was poor of his own doing, whilst Geelong was partially due to the game script), but therein lies the problem with him being captain. He had convinced me of his utility in the forward 50, earlier in the season, but the GC game highlighted the periods of time when passages of play render him to being a complete liability.

Unfortunately (or fortunately), I can't see him being dropped; it's almost impossible to leave a captain out of the side, especially when A) he is one of our only senior players in a year pushing for a finals berth, where experience is needed, and B) our vice-captain is barely justifying his own spot in the side. If someone like Membrey or Steele was VC instead of Ross, then it might be a different discussion.

Hard to judge the Geelong game- the team was flat, Geelong nullified our game and Ratts got lost as to how to counteract it.
Maybe most of the Team in Noosa,were like all of us on BF,aiming at winning 3 of the 4 games that were to be played in the 21 Day Football of Festival.
That will happen if we beat Essendon.

Jones and Ryder definite ins, you would think, whilst Ross will also be in this group if fully fit. Whilst on the topic of Ross, I feel as though he really needs to step up in the absence of Gresham. If he can't, then I feel a trade might need to be organised this year, otherwise we could fast forward 12M to him being a potential delist candidate with how quickly he seems to be slipping over the past couple seasons. I have faith that he can turn it around, but the true definition of 'faith' does not lend itself well to confidence.

As far as the outs are concerned, the first priority (after Gresh's out) would be anyone that needs a rest, and going from there. I appreciate that Phillips kicked 2 quick goals, but the positive component of kicking 2 quick goals is that the player could easily go on to a big performance if they maintain that level of play; unfortunately, Phillips didn't do a whole lot outside of that patch. Given that he was the emergency, it makes sense for him to be first to go; one poor performance and one okay performance does not justify staying in the side.

If there are proper scratch matches being run, then I wouldn't be averse to dropping Hill. I feel like forcing him to play amongst a lower standard of player might embarrass him into changing things up, but dropping him just to watch from the sidelines won't be as fruitful and will hurt the team, you'd think.

But who else could be the third out? I would be filthy if Bytel is dropped after that performance, but he seems next on the list. Truthfully, Geary should be making way based on the last 2 performances (GC was poor of his own doing, whilst Geelong was partially due to the game script), but therein lies the problem with him being captain. He had convinced me of his utility in the forward 50, earlier in the season, but the GC game highlighted the periods of time when passages of play render him to being a complete liability.

Unfortunately (or fortunately), I can't see him being dropped; it's almost impossible to leave a captain out of the side, especially when A) he is one of our only senior players in a year pushing for a finals berth, where experience is needed, and B) our vice-captain is barely justifying his own spot in the side. If someone like Membrey or Steele was VC instead of Ross, then it might be a different discussion.
The problem with having Geary as captain is now he is injury prone and he can only lead by maximum effort and courage and not by game winning performances like a star player..

He looked extremely sore after coming straight back from injury.. so my changes are:

Out: Gresham (injures), Geary (sore), Hill (omitted)
In: Ryder, Jones, Ross (if fit)

We can rest Hill for a week and work out the best way to move the ball to wingers then bring him in.. To be fair to Hill, none of our wingers are effective because we don’t use the wings much at all... when in the backline, we bomb it. When in the midfield, we bomb it out of the pack.. we’re using our quick players in the forward line to pressure and win the ball.. the whole midfield is bypassed almost..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 935114

If Carlisle is rested, probably means Battle moves back.
Jones, Ryder and Ross for Carlisle, Gresh and ?

Why do I not believe the "he will play" part on Hunter....
Hopefully nothing but if needs be I'd rather be safe and let him rest. Don't need him sidelined for the rest of the season like Gresh.

Out - Gresham (inj), Clark (Inj), Carlisle (Man), Geary (Man) King (Man) Phillips (Omitted)

In - Ryder, Jones, Ross, Marsh, Dingley, McKenzie

B Coffield Howard Wilkie

HB Paton Battle McKenzie

C Hill Steele Billings

HF Kent Marshall Membrey

F Butler Marsh Hind

Foll Ryder Jones Bytel

Int Ross, Long, Sinclair, Dingley,

As I have may have intimated before:

Gresh out - Jones in
Carlisle out - Ryder in

And probably Ross in for Phillips, but I'm not sure who comes out for Ross. Might be Clark on today's news.

Marshall forward nearly all game. Ryder ruck nearly all game. Our backs can handle their forwards. Well that’s obviously what rats thinks.
Ryder has been played about 65% game time recently so for the 35% of game time Marshall is in the ruck, it would leave us very small down forward.

It could all depend on what Essendon do as well - some talk they might play 2 rucks this week and Hooker has been up forward so we would likely need another back taller than Wilkie to play.

It would just surprise me that after we rest 3 players from Mondays game to set ourselves to be primed for Essendon if we then rested the main target from either end of the ground. I can see us resting one, but not both.

Ryder has been played about 65% game time recently so for the 35% of game time Marshall is in the ruck, it would leave us very small down forward.

It could all depend on what Essendon do as well - some talk they might play 2 rucks this week and Hooker has been up forward so we would likely need another back taller than Wilkie to play.

It would just surprise me that after we rest 3 players from Mondays game to set ourselves to be primed for Essendon if we then rested the main target from either end of the ground. I can see us resting one, but not both.
That’s why I said Ryder rucks most of the game. Probably won’t happen but king looks spent. They will have more info than my tv though. I don’t think it matters if one or both are rested. They have nothing to do with each other we aren’t losing a lot resting king. He is really struggling.

Hooker's played the entire year in defence but we think we're better off with him forward. Looks likely that it'll be Draper in with support from McKernan.

Our general depth may be a bit thin (except HBFs) but jeez playing Battle back last year and then the trades looks like a masterstroke. Wouldn't be surprised if Carlisle was a bit off fitness wise last week, resting him if he needs it doesn't bother me at all with Battle CHB and Doogs FB.

If Ryder's in then we still have a tall line of King, RoMa and Members which is good on paper, Members' recent form notwithstanding (which hopefully he can turn around).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back