Review Round 12, 2021 - Melbourne vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Am I saying it's easy? Do you really think Geelong and Richmond would've been that much worse off last year had they finished 5th?

It's definitely not preferable but after Melbourne I think Richmond is most likely to win the premiership this year and if they finish 5th that won't change my mind.
It's a pointless exercise isn't it Jackess. We play the season and see where we finish.

If you're good enough you can win it from 5th or 6th provided you're up to the teams who finish ahead of you. Which generally isn't the case but if Melbourne or Richmond happened to finish 5th or 6th this year I'd say they could win it. For us I don't think it would overly hinder our chances.

We had Gardiner out,a gimpy Lester and an underdone Neale. Berry and Rayner too.
Well Rayner's not a factor this year Bill . Imo Berry still has to prove he'll be a factor. Lester isn't that much of an influence. Gardiner will be lucky to play again this year but yes we could do with him. Underdone Neale ,yes important factor.

Am I saying it's easy? Do you really think Geelong and Richmond would've been that much worse off last year had they finished 5th?

It's definitely not preferable but after Brisbane & Melbourne I think Richmond is most likely to win the premiership this year and if they finish 5th that won't change my mind.

FTFY ;)

The bulldogs were an anomyomly. I know some may want to be optimistic and suggest we can win it from outside the 4, but we won't. If we want any chance of winning the flag, we have to finish in the top 4. Given our loss against Melbourne, we will be a win behind either Geelong or Port. Melbourne and The Bulldogs are almost a bridge too far for us, meaning 3,4 are in play, but we have to beat north and geelong to bridge that gap again, because if we lose to Geelong on thursday night, A possible 2,3 game gap between us and them would be too much.
All records need to start again though since the bye was introduced. It’s a massive disadvantage to teams like us that have shown multiple times in the last 3 years that we love to get a run of wins going, and play well in doing so. I really don’t think it will hurt our chances. Especially winning a first final at home!!

Melbourne didn’t show their ace card tho. The first half they went away from their usual style of play. The second half they went back to their normal style of play.

We went in all guns blazing and ran ourselves in to the ground in a half of football.
Yeah but now we have time to prepare and counter attack that. I can only see learnings coming out of that game and very handy ones at that!

Not to speculate, but there's a cold going around Brisbane at the moment - I wonder if we had a few sick players on the field?
I was wondering the same thing myself because we really did look gassed after half time...players were running on the spot and going nowhere...bizarre.

Some of the contests in this game were amazing how the ball found it’s way to whoever from the Demons was front and centre. Some of their goals they seemed to have luck on their side. No way they could pull off some of those again so cleanly.

Some of the contests in this game were amazing how the ball found it’s way to whoever from the Demons was front and centre. Some of their goals they seemed to have luck on their side. No way they could pull off some of those again so cleanly.

Yeah, few moments it just worked out for them. We weren’t set up to defend it. I think we can get the job done if we meet them again.

Yeah but now we have time to prepare and counter attack that. I can only see learnings coming out of that game and very handy ones at that!
We should have prepared for it to begin with.

As others mentioned above, it’s the one playing style and type of midfield we have struggled against the last three years.

We still haven’t worked out how to consistently defend against run and handball teams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We should have prepared for it to begin with.

As others mentioned above, it’s the one playing style and type of midfield we have struggled against the last three years.

We still haven’t worked out how to consistently defend against run and handball teams.
I don’t think we can defend against the numbers run attack.
Two things are crucial to defend against it.
Pressure - Yes we can
Speed - Nope
Until we fix this with player changes the Lions are also runs. It doesn’t need every player to have speed but at least half of the mids and defense.

System and pressure. Against fast sides one of the things we can improve for the rest of the year is ensuring we stick all of our tackles that can be.

Back