Autopsy Round 12, 2021: Sydney v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

It absolutely was the direct cause. It started the chain of events that lead to goal by a critical turn over while all our players were positioned aggressively assuming the opposition wouldn't have possession of the ball 5 seconds later. It is the pinpoint at which their chain of free movement through the middle of the ground started.
Agree our skill level is below par but Dunny is the worst of them all.
As you said" chain of events"
Put it this way, Clav executes a relative simple handball, no goal.
As far as being the worst, I would say on recent form this year there are quite a few that would be no better.

Dunny is a workhorse and I would keep him on the list at this stage. He is good for depth and his best is actually pretty good

Honestly, if we didn't have him as a backup right now we would be in even more trouble.
I agree. People forget about the countless number of workman depth mids premiership sides have.

I remember wce keeping Josh wooden on a list for years!!! 10 in fact!!!

Probably not four years, but would sign for one or two.
With a full list, he would probably sit behind gresh and jones. More a backup for Crouch, Steele types and you need that on a list.
Yep, with the amount of list spots freeing up, it's likely that he gets another year as much as people on here will hate it.

In an ideal world he's not playing in the 1's, but if we lose Steele and Crouch then Dunstan is our best bet to fill that hole.

That said hopefully Bytel really launches himself next year and starts finding the ball, because he uses it really well.

As far as being the worst, I would say on recent form this year there are quite a few that would be no better.
What people are forgetting is that Dunstan did that shocking turnover under zero pressure. Should have been a simple inside 50 and shot at goal.
Instead defenders had to race back and were put under pressure which led to a goal.

Yep, with the amount of list spots freeing up, it's likely that he gets another year as much as people on here will hate it.

In an ideal world he's not playing in the 1's, but if we lose Steele and Crouch then Dunstan is our best bet to fill that hole.

That said hopefully Bytel really launches himself next year and starts finding the ball, because he uses it really well.
Agree. Our future is adding young talent who have good skills. Hopefully that's the likes of Byrnes and Bytel that push the older guys out

What people are forgetting is that Dunstan did that shocking turnover under zero pressure. Should have been a simple inside 50 and shot at goal.
Instead defenders had to race back and were put under pressure which led to a goal.
What, any less pressure than Sinclair kicking the ball to papley 20 metres out from the swans goal at a stop play with zero pressure?
Any worse than Ross 5 metres out open goal? Any worse than Higgins miss with 30 seconds time to take a kick - twice what about Byrnes out in the open, missing membrey and kicking to a swans defender?
What about Howard, zero pressure on a kick out and kicking it out on the full? But let's keep targeting the whipping boy.

He’ll win a Premiership all right, it will just be for the team he is playing against….
Zing!!!

Honestly outside of the AFL side one of the concerns I have is having a whole of club winning culture.

This includes Sandringham. As soon as we draft an u18 they're going to be spending a significant amount of time there so we need to get them competitive with a strong culture.

Right now I don't see that at Sandringham. We have strengthened the KPP depth and stocks but the midfield depth is very light on.

I'd keep Dunstan with the view that he's provably not going to impact the best 22 but he will have an impact on the kids we bring through that will play there.

My wife hates footy and she was appealed by the sub editors line when channel 7 ran it as their news headline for the match review. She thought it was them suggesting that he was 'girly' for missing and it was insulting to women and as a general premise. He was the one guy capable of winning that game for us and only a bit of accuracy off having an elite game but Papley shat the bed as well and the Swans kicked worse than us. Hopefully he gets his goal sense back because he's the one guy I have faith in with the ball out in front of goal.

What, any less pressure than Sinclair kicking the ball to papley 20 metres out from the swans goal at a stop play with zero pressure?
Any worse than Ross 5 metres out open goal? Any worse than Higgins miss with 30 seconds time to take a kick - twice what about Byrnes out in the open, missing membrey and kicking to a swans defender?
What about Howard, zero pressure on a kick out and kicking it out on the full? But let's keep targeting the whipping boy.

It's hard to not see a player in a way that you've already stigmatised them as. Dunstan has disposal issues, he's not a champion and he's limited in what he can do but he's stepped up this year and taking his chances. I'd rather them to have kept playing Bytel myself because he's more likely to be playing in our next serious finals campaign but Dunstan has done nothing to suggest he deserves to be dropped or even cost us any more than the other mids.

Steele is captain and kicked a relatively easy shot on goal OOTF. Because we love him it was a mistake. Dunstan makes a mistake and it goes in the file as another example of how terrible he is at everything. He's kind of unlucky Dunny, in a side that plays a more munt the ball forward style he'd probably be in the best 22 and shining.

Still don't really get the outrage over the 50m penalty when Rampe pushed King.

He pushed him in the back and he went down... seemed really obvious to me. I'd turned the commentary off by then but was surprised to find out later Lyon and Brown had a tanty over it.

Not the first dumb thing Rampe has done, but got penalised this time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He pushed him in the back and he went down... seemed really obvious to me. I'd turned the commentary off by then but was surprised to find out later Lyon and Brown had a tanty over it.

Look it was soft.

but the point being missed is that when you have your back to someone and are pushed when not expecting it, you lose your a balance and fall over.

but if your in the media let’s call him soft like he dived. 🙄

The Umps issue warnings throughout the game as well.
Sydney were visibly trying to play on the edge.. and it might have been a case of "stop that Dane"..."Stop that Dane." " Dane i've already told you.." "* it Dane, 50 "

It's hard to not see a player in a way that you've already stigmatised them as. Dunstan has disposal issues, he's not a champion and he's limited in what he can do but he's stepped up this year and taking his chances. I'd rather them to have kept playing Bytel myself because he's more likely to be playing in our next serious finals campaign but Dunstan has done nothing to suggest he deserves to be dropped or even cost us any more than the other mids.

Steele is captain and kicked a relatively easy shot on goal OOTF. Because we love him it was a mistake. Dunstan makes a mistake and it goes in the file as another example of how terrible he is at everything. He's kind of unlucky Dunny, in a side that plays a more munt the ball forward style he'd probably be in the best 22 and shining.
Well articulated Gringo.
Regarding Bytel, and also Byrnes among others, their development has been stunted due to covid. In a normal world, Bytel plays 20+ VFL games and gets to hone his craft to have an impact at senior level.
Playing kids too much too soon can sometimes work against you. But no doubt, for us to seriously contend, the young blokes have to push the somewhat limited older brigade out of the team

Last edited:

It was soft, but technically there.

The Coffield one a few minutes later just looked like his feet got tangled rather than he flopped to the ground.

Look it was soft.

but the point being missed is that when you have your back to someone and are pushed when not expecting it, you lose your a balance and fall over.

Especially when he had some type of back injury.

Contact to the area that was spasming would bloody hurt.

Look it was soft.

He's not a regular diver either. If it was Lonie you'd think it looked a bit floppy but it looked like he had no balance and it accentuated the contact. More unfortunate for Rampe that he shoved him at the wrong time same as when Webster jumped in the back of Buddy, just went in with too much momentum and what could have been holding the ball ended up a shot on goal.

Dunstan executes an even more simple kick under 0 pressure after taking a mark, no chance for Sydney to score. This is not a game you can win. He was single handedly the reason Sydney had the opportunity to score there. Shouldn't be on clav to clean up Dunstan's mistake. Also it wasn't a "relatively simple handball".

Extremely good take here. I think a close loss brings out a lot of reactionary takes. Dunstan was BOG last week and decent again this week. Not that I think we should be piling on players at all but Steele's had a couple similarly s**t turnovers I can remember that no one brought up one for example would be the one against Geelong where he kicked it directly to an opposition player who rebounded and kicked a goal within about 30 seconds. This was when the game was in the balance. Similar momentum killer but as a fan favourite (and with more runs on the board) received less attention. Once again I don't think either (or any player really) player deserves to be scrutinised over one mistake or decision just as much as doing one nice flashy thing doesn't make you the hero of a match.

My thoughts on Dunstan have never changed. He offers a lot of what we lack, especially consistency of effort.
He should never be given the ball just outside 50 unless it's for a one-two.
If he does take a mark in that position, someone should absolutely be running past for the handpass, and he shouldn't kick the ball until someone has tried to do that.
He ideally should never be in the same side as both Ross and Geary (that's too many crap kicks in one team). This probably won't be an issue from now on, although Long's kicking has been about on par of late.

I think a well-drilled team knows the strengths of their players and plays to them. Dunstan's a solid backup mid in my opinion, but just should never ever be allowed to deliver the ball inside 50 by foot again. Ever. Jesus, teams have won flags with players who were crap kicks before - maybe not 3 of them, and definitely not when half the team can't kick consistently through the sticks - even when they're getting 5-6 shots a game to get it right.

It just frustrates me that with all the injuries in the middle that we go to Dunstan instead of putting someone like Clark in there who actually has some upside particularly with ball in hand. Clark is a Rolls Royce IMO but because he can actually use the ball he gets pushed out to the wing and half back and instead we go with players with no upside and that we know aren’t up to it. In 5 years we’ll put Clark in there and say holy crap we should’ve done this years ago!

My thoughts on Dunstan have never changed. He offers a lot of what we lack, especially consistency of effort.
He should never be given the ball just outside 50 unless it's for a one-two.
If he does take a mark in that position, someone should absolutely be running past for the handpass, and he shouldn't kick the ball until someone has tried to do that.
He ideally should never be in the same side as both Ross and Geary (that's too many crap kicks in one team). This probably won't be an issue from now on, although Long's kicking has been about on par of late.

I think a well-drilled team knows the strengths of their players and plays to them. Dunstan's a solid backup mid in my opinion, but just should never ever be allowed to deliver the ball inside 50 by foot again. Ever. Jesus, teams have won flags with players who were crap kicks before - maybe not 3 of them, and definitely not when half the team can't kick consistently through the sticks - even when they're getting 5-6 shots a game to get it right.

Couldn't agree more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back