Review Round 12, 2022 - Fremantle vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Fremantle?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree that it would be good to see Berry more on-ball, Brodie's height advantage against Freo was apparent. But you either play Lyons on the ball, or you dont play him at all.
I would be happy with not playing Lyons at the moment.
If we had first half of last year Lyons, but we do not at the moment.

Berry's has rated pretty poorly in clearances statistically when he has been in centre rotations so I'm not sure that's the answer.

Berry's has rated pretty poorly in clearances statistically when he has been in centre rotations so I'm not sure that's the answer.
I agree if this is based on his work early in the year. He seemed out of sorts till he was played as a run with player and on the wing. Maybe now he has found form and confidence it might be worth trying him in the centre again.

I agree if this is based on his work early in the year. He seemed out of sorts till he was played as a run with player and on the wing. Maybe now he has found form and confidence it might be worth trying him in the centre again.
Counterpoint: he's found form and confidence doing something different, so let's mess with that by going back to what wasn't working? :)

those saying starcevich to the mids... give yourself an uppercut now.

honest answer is that we do not have the right midfield mix nor cattle to change what we have unless we want to go backwards for the short/medium term.
Sure play robertson instead of lyons.. a better balance midfield unit but a net negative. same for anyone else.

Lyons is elite at contested ball. not much else. is being exposed now big time by opposition on his lack of ability to cover ground.
We need Berry, Rayner, Bailey and McCluggage to force the titanic Lyons out of the team. It's up to them, not some kid like Robertson.

those saying starcevich to the mids... give yourself an uppercut now.

honest answer is that we do not have the right midfield mix nor cattle to change what we have unless we want to go backwards for the short/medium term.
Sure play robertson instead of lyons.. a better balance midfield unit but a net negative. same for anyone else.

Lyons is elite at contested ball. not much else. is being exposed now big time by opposition on his lack of ability to cover ground.
We need Berry, Rayner, Bailey and McCluggage to force the titanic Lyons out of the team. It's up to them, not some kid like Robertson.

Pls give yourself an uppercut.

I'm talking about in his career. In 2017 he had the third worst centre bounce clearance differential of the top 100 players for attendances and third-worst tackle efficiency of the top 100 players for tackle attempts, 2018 he attended third-most centre bounces of any Lions midfielder and rated average for centre clearances and below average for all clearances and his clearance numbers have declined every year since as we moved him more on the outside to better use his abilities.

I'm talking about in his career. In 2017 he had the third worst centre bounce clearance differential of the top 100 players for attendances and third-worst tackle efficiency of the top 100 players for tackle attempts, 2018 he attended third-most centre bounces of any Lions midfielder and rated average for centre clearances and below average for all clearances and his clearance numbers have declined every year since as we moved him more on the outside to better use his abilities.
2017 was his first year playing AFL.

I’m caught in two minds. He obviously is really starting to develop as a wing, but I wish he could be developed as that big inside mid we need.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I never want starc in mids. He's AA level defender. Why ??
I kind of agree. We've found an excellent defender who can really impact there. He's never been a great accumulator, so why take him away from where he's found form?

Also with our defence struggling I dont like taking away one of the few who have been performing

I’m caught in two minds. He obviously is really starting to develop as a wing, but I wish he could be developed as that big inside mid we need.
Could Rayner be that big mid that you’re talking about? Or are you saying we need one more on top of Rayner?

True, which is why I talked about his other years not doing anything much as an inside midfielder as well.

Could Rayner be that big mid that you’re talking about? Or are you saying we need one more on top of Rayner?
One more on top of Rayner.

If every player could play to the level I’d hope for, our 2023 midfield would be Neale, Rayner and Berry, with Robertson and Ashcroft on the bench. McCluggage and Ah Chee on the wings.

One more on top of Rayner.

If every player could play to the level I’d hope for, our 2023 midfield would be Neale, Rayner and Berry, with Robertson and Ashcroft on the bench. McCluggage and Ah Chee on the wings.
Don't disagree with that although I'd probably swap Berry and McCluggage. I still think Hugh has another level or two to go as an inside-outside midfielder, especially alongside Neale and Rayner. Has the capacity to run both ways and I think he's a bit bigger than some might think. He's a very good winger but I'd like to keep him as a mid at least for a season or two just to see how far he can get.

Rayner was not born with the body to be that gut running mid we need. Berry was. We need both.

Rayner was not born with the body to be that gut running mid we need. Berry was. We need both.
Don't disagree but I've got serious concerns about his shoulder holding up, feels like they tried it early this season and it just couldn't handle being in there which is concerning especially after having a full preseason. Also my argument wasn't Rayner vs Berry in there, more McCluggage over Berry being in there.

I kind of agree. We've found an excellent defender who can really impact there. He's never been a great accumulator, so why take him away from where he's found form?

Also with our defence struggling I dont like taking away one of the few who have been performing
The other pov is that keeping hi there is playing safe. We want to win a premiership and, personally, l can't see our midfield competing offensively or defensively with the better midfields from other teams. Who knows what will happen, he might not make it, or he might surprise us and be a really good accountable midfielder. He has the body for it and has shown offensive weapons to his defensive capacbilities. I don't expect it will happen this year tho.

Our prefered centre seems to be Neale,Lyons (As they play mid or bench) and then we prefer Zorko,Rayner & Clugga.. Then Bailey, Linc and Berry.
Said a few times Zorko's pace dropped off and he is not tall :) When its Neale, Lyons and Zorko.. We same sized (Short) and not fast.
If we do not get first use can fly out the other way.

Hence like Berry and Rayner rotating off a HF into Mid more. Both can play marking forwards, both can use their body.
Berry has a better tank then Rayner although I think that would work as you get a big bodied mid and another option forward.

Wing AttendanceRound 12FreoPerth Stadium
Names
Q1
Q2
Q3
Q4
Total
Percentage
J.Berry
5​
4​
10​
7​
26​
41.94%​
Prior
3​
4​
8​
7​
22​
35.48%​
Bailey
2​
2​
1​
3​
8​
12.90%​
McCarthy
1​
1​
1.61%​
Ah Chee
5​
5​
8.06%​

Missed two attendances in the last quarter when we either pushed someone well forward or well back on the wing. I also couldn't be bothered tallying up which players lined up at which wings this week (maybe if we had won!) but I believe Prior had most of his top of screen and Berry mostly bottom of screen but I think if there's a run of goals you end up staying on the same wing so that possibly skews things.

Back