Autopsy Round 12, 2023 : Hawks on smoko for the first half.

Remove this Banner Ad

The first half Weddle bashing in the game day thread didn’t age well.

That game was a good example of how important pressure is. If you can maintain it you can blow teams away and if you take your foot off the peddle the script can flip. We will learn a lot from that game.

Last edited:

Look. It's a flogging, but we didn't bend over. Clarko era early on, we would get bullied by port (who were in a similar position to Port now), and we'd lost by 20 goals

Lewis was a witches hat in the first half, but really stepped up as a leader in the 2nd. A lot of team first stuff. He's also been pushed off with ease a lot his whole career. 2nd half it didn't happen.

Weddle was solid in defence. Real potential to be a swing player across all 3 lines of the field

We are showing exactly who and what we are at the moment: Sammy is instilling real fight in that side. We don't have the experience to go with a premiership contender on their own dungheap when they're on fire like that in the first half...yet. But we will. And when we do, look out. Yeah, sure, Port took the foot off the throttle in the second half, but for us to fight it out like that, outscore them in the second and almost kick 100 gives us a glimpse of a rosy looking future...

Atrocious first half. No run, no defensive intent, and everything went Port’s way. Our midfield was obliterated and our defence looked all at sea.

To our credit when Port took their foot off our throat was responded. It can be difficult to do that when you’re getting destroyed. Loved seeing Weddle, who was well beaten in the first half, lift enormously.

Our midfield was a concern today. Rucks beaten by Lycett until injury. Day tagged. Newcombe/Nash having down games with minimal defensive intent. Hopefully it was just growing pains for a young team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Congratulations to Breust on his 504 goals. Absolute champion 🤎

Best most consistent small forward of the past 10-12 years. Most well rounded game.

Some are flashier, some tackle more, and some have higher peaks with 2-3 crazy good years. But Breust has the best combination of all the small forward skills with the longevity and consistency the others don’t.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Look they ran out the game, but were seriously outsmarted and out gunned first half.

Had they been able to soak up pressure first half, it might have been different. Bodes well for opponents who aren’t quite so hot.

Red hot chance next week.

Good response, hopefully they take something from it.

But more importantly I hope the coaches study what Port did in the first half and then have a good hard word with themselves so this never happens again. That half of football was disgraceful.

As for the changes:

OUTS
  • Frost
  • Bramble
  • Kosi
  • Meek (?)

INS
  • DGB
  • Ward
  • Sicily
  • ????

Maybe B. MacDonald is replaced by Mitchell if he is good to go. Or maybe he can just come back in anyway and we run with both.

Is CJ ready? He probably should play at Box Hill to find some form before he comes back. I'm not interested in seeing Morrison come back.

Frost the Frustrating. He moved out of defense and Port stopped scoring.

Jokes aside, I get why he is there and appreciate the effort he puts in week in and week out but we need someone to move past him and take his position soon.

Weddle the Weapon. Thank you who ever had the idea to go hard for the kid, you are the best.

I think Moore needs more midfield rotation so he can be more damaging and more involved.

Second half was very impressive, people will say Port put the cue in the rack which if that’s the case, that’s also why they won’t win a premiership this year, need to be ruthless.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back