Autopsy Round 12, 2023 : Hawks on smoko for the first half.

Remove this Banner Ad

They still have scars from 2011.

vs
Looks like the half time score today.

Going to be an interesting review. Lots of green shoots and promise in that second half, and the spirit to keep playing after getting embarrassed. The extent to which we were dismantled in the first half was absolutely alarming, as Sam Mitchell said "it's hard to even think about". Worpel reminded us why he gets selected each week when we have others doing the flashy stuff: Rock solid reliable, a far cry from the trade bait that has been suggested.

Fascinating to read opinions from everyone who watched the game on tv, but from no-one at the ground. Yet.

But Weddle was enormous. In both halves. The work he does to be the reciever was exceptional. This is a kid in his sixth game and he's seriously learning his trade.

Likewise with Mackenzie. He gave us significant spark when he replaced Meek.

They were better across the ground in the first half. Pure and simple. We played with more freedom in the second because their pressure was nowhere near what it was in the first. And why would they? The game was over.

That said, we didn't stop working. It's a good learning game for us. Our mids, which has been our strength this season, were outclassed when it mattered and we will learn from it. We desperately need a small defensive forward as Lewis, Kosi and Breust play one role, Moore and Brockman play well going high and back forward. So that leaves Butler or his replacement. I would like to see Sam get a few more games at this level, but he's the one in the gun.

Ned Long was doing serious run throughs after the game. I'd love to see him get another contract as he's still got plenty of development left in him.

First It takes a lot for a young side to turn things around like we did. We were playing away from home crowd behind them and at one stage we were down by 16 goals. Mental fortitude to not lower our heads to keep grinding away and score as heavily as we did.

Like last week when we came back to win it. This week was a huge in the context of journey towards a premiership. Kudos to Sam and our leaders to keep our players focused on the job.

Weddle as i mentioned in here before he even debuted is going to be a star.

We have also started kicking more goals which is the big thing given our start to the year. We r starting to see that connectivity between the forwards and backs. We had some great transitions even in the first half.

Lots to like about this game. Looking forward to next week and having Sic and Seamus back

Looks like the half time score today.

Going to be an interesting review. Lots of green shoots and promise in that second half, and the spirit to keep playing after getting embarrassed. The extent to which we were dismantled in the first half was absolutely alarming, as Sam Mitchell said "it's hard to even think about". Worpel reminded us why he gets selected each week when we have others doing the flashy stuff: Rock solid reliable, a far cry from the trade bait that has been suggested.
I'm really impressed by Worp this year. Works hard, runs both ways, and puts his head over it when it's his turn. He's our present day Brad Sewell for me.

Saw this interesting datapoint, once the kids mature and trust their skills more, the scoreboard will be reversed.

c1ae54e2-6f50-43b8-9a93-f20a6b5afcdd-jpeg.1704000

I actually did forget that, and I dare say, so might many others.

If Ken Hinkley used the 2014 PF loss as motivation this week (when only Wines actually played in that game) I will give you my left testicle.
That would then make you a rwnj?

Lots to like from the second half, particularly the spirit.

Not saying we win it obviously, but we missed a trick not starting Day in the Sicily role.
Daysy had his ribs taped up heavily, following a big clash with Cooper Stephens at training on Thursday. In the first half, he looked like he was struggling to get his arms up above his head.

Fascinating to read opinions from everyone who watched the game on tv, but from no-one at the ground. Yet.

But Weddle was enormous. In both halves. The work he does to be the reciever was exceptional. This is a kid in his sixth game and he's seriously learning his trade.

Likewise with Mackenzie. He gave us significant spark when he replaced Meek.

They were better across the ground in the first half. Pure and simple. We played with more freedom in the second because their pressure was nowhere near what it was in the first. And why would they? The game was over.

That said, we didn't stop working. It's a good learning game for us. Our mids, which has been our strength this season, were outclassed when it mattered and we will learn from it. We desperately need a small defensive forward as Lewis, Kosi and Breust play one role, Moore and Brockman play well going high and back forward. So that leaves Butler or his replacement. I would like to see Sam get a few more games at this level, but he's the one in the gun.

Ned Long was doing serious run throughs after the game. I'd love to see him get another contract as he's still got plenty of development left in him.
Real shame that Longy was the travelling emergency this week, as he was putting some serious pressure on cracking back into the seniors with his past month at Box Hill. Likely goes back to BH next week unfortunately

Port's first half pressure was through the roof and our young team just didn't have the ability to handle it. We were fumbly and a step off and Port took full advantage. The pace through the middle of the ground is what we are working towards and Port showed it works in that first half.

Was stoked with the second half performance from the team. They could have given up and got belted but they just kept sticking to the game plan and working as hard as possible.
  • Weddle grew as the game went on and the kid's work rate is through the roof.
  • BMac acquitted himself well in his first game.
  • Worps tried hard all game against a midfield that towelled us up clearance wise. Impey was solid at the back and led by example.
  • Punky kicking 5 was excellent and showed that Burton defensively is a liability.
  • Mitch Lewis' second half was phenomenal - the majority of his touches came then - he ended up with 13 score involvements.
  • Brocky has so much skill and creativity - he makes footy look effortless at times. He had 3 direct score involvements and loved his work rate
  • CMac with ball in hand is becoming so composed and is picking the right choices when he has the ball in hand
  • Daysy wasn't as potent in the middle - he was tagged by Drew and his ribs were heavily taped up after a massive clash with Stephens at training and he looked hampered in the first half. Played well when moved back to defence.

Some good performances at Box Hill is going to keep the pressure on some players to continue to perform - shame Ned Long didn't get a game this week - went to Adelaide as the travelling emergency and was banging the door down with his past month of footy.

Dylan Moore
Is it just me ?? But when the heat is on in the game he seems to make some bad errors or goes missing.

Jeremy Finlayson loves Hawthorn .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Daysy had his ribs taped up heavily, following a big clash with Cooper Stephens at training on Thursday. In the first half, he looked like he was struggling to get his arms up above his head.
Both Day and Nash were well below recent form - if they were both up an about early, it could have made a difference.

First half, I guess we now know how the Washington generals feel like. Port played unbelievable. Yes our pressure wasn’t as good as previous weeks, but they were absolutely incredible. Genuinely thought watching it they couldn’t do anything wrong.
Second half, we increased our pressure and we got back on track, but Port we’re unlikely to ever keep that level of play up, and we’re able to win it.

We showed heart and it was great several of the young kids lead it.

Positives - Weddle’s turnaround, and the games of Breust, Lewis, Impey and MacKenzie.

Negatives - we were absolutely pole-axed when the game was there to be won (1st half), especially in the midfield where we were full strength.

I think Port switched into cruise control in the second half - and rightly so.

Yep - we outscored Port and played much better after half time…..but we couldn’t possibly have played worse could we?

Running out the game? Well our midfield were genuine witches hats for the first 60 minutes, so personal pride alone would explain that.

In summary - it was a dirty day (and maybe we were due for a downer) perhaps a slight step backwards as a group, but I sure hope we get that step back next week against Brisbane.

Need to play the first half next week with the same focus as yesterday’s second half.

We can’t pick and choose when we want to defend - particularly in the midfield.

Positives - Weddle’s turnaround, and the games of Breust, Lewis, Impey and MacKenzie.

Negatives - we were absolutely pole-axed when the game was there to be won (1st half), especially in the midfield where we were full strength.

Yep - we outscored Port and played much better after half time…..but we couldn’t possibly have played worse could we?

Running out the game? Well our midfield were genuine witches hats for the first 60 minutes, so personal pride alone would explain that.

In summary - it was a dirty day (and maybe we were due for a downer) perhaps a slight step backwards as a group, but I sure hope we get that step back next week against Brisbane.

Need to play the first half next week with the same focus as yesterday’s second half.

I think I feel the same. Some small steps forward for individuals, but I had hoped this group had put those kind of performances behind them. Lycett was towelling us up before Port put the cue in the rack and gave him a rest ahead of a few 6-day breaks. I know we kept fighting and actually came away with something, but if had Port been hunting percentage and maintained their pressure, that would've been our worst performance for many a year. Was basically the same scoreline as the Sydney game by half-time.

I get that we're young and inexperienced, but that was uncompetitive, mercy-rule kind of stuff. A bit embarrassing.

If that’s the case, this is why they will struggle win the premiership. Great teams are ruthless and would take the 130 point win midway through the season.
They were up to 121% and ended on 116%, imagine our side giving that up during the dynasty? Not good enough I would have thought.

I love Newcombe. He’s my favourite player. But I didn’t like his game yesterday. Our entire midfield was really poor defensively and Newcombe didn’t lay a single tackle. While he’s now an attacking force, he should not forget the defensive side of his game that saw him break the tackling record for a debutante. If he can combine both parts of the game, and he is capable of both, he can become a champion player. And it means he can have an impact even when having an ordinary day at winning the footy

I love Newcombe. He’s my favourite player. But I didn’t like his game yesterday. Our entire midfield was really poor defensively and Newcombe didn’t lay a single tackle. While he’s now an attacking force, he should not forget the defensive side of his game that saw him break the tackling record for a debutante. If he can combine both parts of the game, and he is capable of both, he can become a champion player. And it means he can have an impact even when having an ordinary day at winning the footy
It was his first game not laying a tackle, just scrub it off as a bad game.

If that’s the case, this is why they will struggle win the premiership. Great teams are ruthless and would take the 130 point win midway through the season.
They were up to 121% and ended on 116%, imagine our side giving that up during the dynasty? Not good enough I would have thought.
3 x 6 day breaks in a row before our bye, our only real ruck, Lycett was rested, managed, for the second half. We went off the boil more than one would had hoped but our midfield is young and needs to learn how to adjust.
If Lycett goes down we are stuffed in finals.
Still your team really looks promising for the future. Some of the speed you showed in second half was really good.
Glad you are enjoying Impey and Amon, sad to lose those two but that’s life. Burton doing ok for us.

3 x 6 day breaks in a row before our bye, our only real ruck, Lycett was rested, managed, for the second half. We went off the boil more than one would had hoped but our midfield is young and needs to learn how to adjust.
If Lycett goes down we are stuffed in finals.
Still your team really looks promising for the future. Some of the speed you showed in second half was really good.
Glad you are enjoying Impey and Amon, sad to lose those two but that’s life. Burton doing ok for us.
I think Sicily being out was a big shock in the first half too, it was like no one knew that they were supposed to try their best to emulate his role and the holes he usually fills were full of your guys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back