Autopsy Round 12, 2023 : Hawks on smoko for the first half.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey that’s fine mate. He’s one player in the comp you can’t begrudge doing well with all he’s going through.
I wonder if he played so well because he had such a load off his mind. Good on him if that was the reason. Impossible to begrudge him that.

Hawks did what we would hope in second half so that’s pleasing. Still a long way to go but it’s clear the path is right. Didn’t help ourselves with fumbling and dumb decisions early that ended the game too quickly. A lack of leadership and experience hurt but hopefully by 2025 that’s no longer an issue. We could use a few mid 20s players to better balance out the age profile.

So, Moore kick after the siren wasn't credited as a behind despite a port player punching it over (with no contact from a hawk player)

Imagine that 1 point is difference between us finishing 17th and 18th (doubtful given we're 2 games clear of west coast), or the difference between Port finishing 1st or second (remember, 1 point was all that separated pies and blues last year)

So, Moore kick after the siren wasn't credited as a behind despite a port player punching it over (with no contact from a hawk player)

Imagine that 1 point is difference between us finishing 17th and 18th (doubtful given we're 2 games clear of west coast), or the difference between Port finishing 1st or second (remember, 1 point was all that separated pies and blues last year)
That's the rule though, right? I don't think it's recently changed.

14 odd minutes to run in the 3rd. Free kick against Nash to JHF. What was this for? No high contact at all on the replay.
I remember thinking ‘what the *’? I’m pretty sure it’s the illegal ‘underarm tickle’ rule, they were hot on that for those four seconds.

That's the rule though, right? I don't think it's recently changed.
Rule is it counts as a rushed behind if helped on by the opposition. It doesn't count if the attacking team knocks it through.

Should've been a rushed behind.

It's semantics at the moment, but given last yrs final round drama....

Media saying Port took the foot off the pedal. That their pressure dropped off when they knew they had the game won.

2 weeks ago we could've done the same v WCE. No, we put the foot down.

We actually didn't allow Port to put the foot down. That should be the narrative.
Its right , but it ignores how good a level they played too and the fact hardly any team can keep that intensity and skill up for a whole game.
They were fantastic no doubt about it .

Normally that good team drops off and the game peters off to a 70-100 pt type margin.

We were able to play decent footy in the second half and eat right into the lead , yes they dropped off but I think it was more natural then by design.
We played some really decent footy in the last 40 minutes and thats a huge positive

We simple are 20-40 games off that first half intensity they threw our way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I missed the game yesterday, got home later and only watched the second half and it was enjoyable :tearsofjoy:
Gee, you saw the overwhelming best part. The first half effort was very, very poor. Some blame age. What the *. Since when did youth become an excuse for effort. I have maintained this position more than once this year. Why are we so much better at effort than other times……mmmm !! In my opinion, nothing to do with age. Some say, I need to be more patient……mmmm !! They are too inexperienced……..mmmm !!

I could understand if it was gameplan, system or the like……but effort !! Never.

Gee, you saw the overwhelming best part. The first half effort was very, very poor. Some blame age. What the *. Since when did youth become an excuse for effort. I have maintained this position more than once this year. Why are we so much better at effort than other times……mmmm !! In my opinion, nothing to do with age. Some say, I need to be more patient……mmmm !! They are too inexperienced……..mmmm !!

It wasnt effort mate they just wilted under the pressure and fumbled and executed badly. Port were at the top of their game and they pressured us into playing at our worst. You have to give the opponent credit sometimes.

It wasnt effort mate they just wilted under the pressure and fumbled and executed badly. Port were at the top of their game and they pressured us into playing at our worst. You have to give the opponent credit sometimes.
I am. But why weren’t we harder at the footy ?? Why in the second half, against the same opponent, were we better ??

I am. But why weren’t we harder at the footy ?? Why in the second half, against the same opponent, were we better ??
Because the heat had gone out of the game. It was still admirable that we turned it around. Its pretty hard to pick yourself up after that first half interstate. Especially with such a young team. Led by the captain they would have learned quite a bit. You see composure and execution doesnt come easy under pressure. It takes time and games. Every game they play like this one they learn and improve. They know the standard they need to reach.

Because the heat had gone out of the game. It was still admirable that we turned it around. Its pretty hard to pick yourself up after that first half interstate. Especially with such a young team. Led by the captain they would have learned quite a bit. You see composure and execution doesnt come easy under pressure. It takes time and games. Every game they play like this one they learn and improve. They know the standard they need to reach.
I truly understand your point, I truly do and you see this group much more than I, but it does not account for a young side this week and not last week, in terms of effort.

I say again, I understand system issues but never basic effort. They walked through again, not for the first time this year. Sorry, just my phobia.

I’d put the first half down to Hawks players confusion … we were badly losing the clearances… which is unusual for us this year … and almost every contested possession… which happens at times yet yesterday it was constant … both of these were due to Ports high level of pressure and impressive skills on turnover.

After that it was mostly the speed at which Port moved the ball. They were lightning on turnover. Our boys were constantly out of position because we were setting up to attack or hold the ball in our fwd half when suddenly Port was kicking the ball over our heads for easy run-in goals.

So what to do about that? I‘d say not lose possession in the first place. Port were ON and we were only semi-on*
And then there is the link in the chain issue. One break of a chain and the whole device fails. We missed too many targets early.

Yesterday’s game did not upset me at all. Even the 1st half was more of a show of how good Port can be and not how bad we are.

Everyone, including Ken Hinkley, said the Hawks second half was better than good.

In a developing year, I am astonished to say that the Hawks had a good game.

*no-one is happy when you are only semi-on.

Last edited:
I truly understand your point, I truly do and you see this group much more than I, but it does not account for a young side this week and not last week, in terms of effort.

I say again, I understand system issues but never basic effort. They walked through again, not for the first time this year. Sorry, just my phobia.
Thinking back to the game it's extraordinary. Hawks of old would've played a bit of kick-to-kick because the momentum was ridiculous. We kept attacking and trying to handball out of trouble. It was pretty concerning we couldn't do anything to compete.

The first half was definitely a little reality check for the players - this is what good sides do.

Our past two weeks demonstrates that we're competitive when the opposition is underwhelming. The next challenge for our group is to improve and be competitive against good sides.

I did not bother watching the first half. What I saw in the second made me think Port had the rub of the green(men). Port were allowed to man-handle us with impunity and regularly *ed us after marking by stepping over the mark to make strong body contact. This was an obvious tactic to slow us down and was never punished. The free to figjam JHF when Nash tackled him under the arm was typical of what I saw with this umpiring performance.

The first half was definitely a little reality check for the players - this is what good sides do.

Our past two weeks demonstrates that we're competitive when the opposition is underwhelming. The next challenge for our group is to improve and be competitive against good sides.
May I remind you, we did the exact same thing to Port last year. Eveserated them in the perfect game from the Hawks. Much like what Port did to us on Saturday. The only difference being, Port lost every Qtr last year while we responded brilliantly. The Hawks have the genesis of something great. We need parts but the way we pulled apart Port today was awesome and shows most parts are in place.

It is awesome to be at the ground floor of the Hawks rise. The next few years will be fun.

Last edited:
I did not bother watching the first half. What I saw in the second made me think Port had the rub of the green(men). Port were allowed to man-handle us with impunity and regularly ******ed us after marking by stepping over the mark to make strong body contact. This was an obvious tactic to slow us down and was never punished. The free to figjam JHF when Nash tackled him under the arm was typical of what I saw with this umpiring performance.
This type of comment is about US being victomised. We were not. Port won on impressive play for half a game. We then won the second half due to grit, determination, self belief and a high level of fortitude.

The umpires were irrelevant.

I give you a :thumbsdown: because your comment is daft. I show you that I have done this because, I am happy to discuss why your comment if daft.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back