Review Round 12 - Adelaide Crows vs GWS Giants @ Adelaide Oval, 7:40 AEST 8 June 2019

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
From Land of the Giants' preview thread ...

Zzzzzzzzz…

Sorry. Must have dozed off at half time.

What’s that? We scored nine goals five in the last quarter? Why didn’t anyone say anything? I was only just resting my eyes you know.

It’s not like there was any noise in the stadium to rouse me, not with only 7,581 people present. And never mind those 27,000 members the club says we’ve got. They must have had other things to do.

Perhaps they were focusing on next week’s assignment in Adelaide. They might have seen the latest betting markets, who have us going in as reasonably priced favourites.

What a turnaround. I’m sure we all remember the pervading sense of gloom going into last year’s away match against the Crows. After weeks of truly dreadful form, the unexpected maiden win in the City of Churches was the proverbial season-defining game.

Adelaide are certainly unpredictable this year, losing to Hawthorn, Geelong and West Coast at home, as well as Brisbane and North on the road. Their wins have come against teams beneath them on the ladder, including Sydney, the Suns, the Saints, the Dockers, and Port. They were lucky to beat the Demons yesterday. And they’ll almost certainly lose Rory Sloane to a hamstring injury this week, which won’t help.

But I don’t know if we can justify being such clear favourites. Our last month has seen the bad loss to Hawthorn and three easy wins against the bottom three teams, in Carlton, Melbourne, and Gold Coast. I know the Crows aren’t exactly setting the world on fire, but our recent run is not good preparation for something more challenging. And look what happened against Melbourne when we switched off in the last quarter.

The only possible change I can see this week is the return of Zac Williams for Lachie Keeffe. If Whitfield is out, Keeffe stays and it becomes a question of who moves into Whitfield’s spot.

Getting it right mentally is the key to us winning. I think we can, but it probably won’t be that comfortable or convincing as the bookmakers seem to think.

Prove me wrong, Giants.

Match preview: Adelaide v Greater Western Sydney

GWSADL.PNG

What it means for Adelaide: The eighth-placed Crows (6-5) are just keeping their head above water in the finals race, but a win over a genuine premiership contender would be a massive statement.

What it means for Greater Western Sydney: The second-placed Giants (8-3) are rolling nicely on the back of three straight wins. The Crows would be their most significant scalp since knocking off Geelong in round four.

The stat: The Crows have won eight of the 11 meetings between the two clubs, but the Giants won both of the encounters last year. The Giants also went a perfect two from two at Adelaide Oval in 2018, and have a 3-5 record overall at the venue.

The match-up: Daniel Talia v Jeremy Cameron

Talia – the Crows’ premier key defender in the Official AFL Player Ratings - faces one of his biggest challenges of the season. Cameron – the Giants’ best forward - has been in unstoppable form, leading the Coleman Medal race with 38 goals.

It’s a big week for: Bryce Gibbs

The Crows midfielder could get a tagging role for a second straight week, this time running with Giants star Stephen Coniglio. Gibbs did a great negating role on Clayton Oliver in the second half of last week's comeback win against Melbourne.

Big call: Harry Himmelberg to kick five goals

Prediction: Giants by 18 points

Let's go Giants, fire up and stone the Crows!

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Sigh. As expected with Tobes. Really need this win to get some clear air between us and 4th place onwards. Also to demonstrate that we can play consistently and win away. Let's go Giants.
Everyone is talking up our form but who have we beaten during this run?

Carlton Melbourne and Suns. And Melbourne fought back.

We need the win and need it big time to show we belong in the top.

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
Sigh. As expected with Tobes. Really need this win to get some clear air between us and 4th place onwards. Also to demonstrate that we can play consistently and win away. Let's go Giants.

Toby has been a shadow of his former self for some time, but it hasn't stopped us winning.

Whitfield's absence is what will really hurt, if at all. So come on Giants, prove all the "flat track bullies" narrative wrong.

Win, and win well.

KevDawg

EFC & GWS
Jun 6, 2015
Now Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Essendon, GWS & Giants Womens
Watching from the comfort of my living room.
Tom Lynch tore a calf in the Adelaide warm up.
At least we knew our outs before the game.
Carn the Giants!!! Stick to last week’s game plan and we’ll win.

KevDawg

EFC & GWS
Jun 6, 2015
Now Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Toby has been a shadow of his former self for some time, but it hasn't stopped us winning.

Whitfield's absence is what will really hurt, if at all. So come on Giants, prove all the "flat track bullies" narrative wrong.

Win, and win well.

I’m wondering if Toby has been asked to leave HH, TOJ and Jezz up front.
Stay around mid to forward half?

KevDawg

EFC & GWS
Jun 6, 2015
Now Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Nice dribbler, Harry.
I’d prefer a kick but he did well under the smother there.

KevDawg

EFC & GWS
Jun 6, 2015
Now Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
How can Thommo be on his own against three in the air and one on the ground? Alone?

KevDawg

EFC & GWS
Jun 6, 2015
Now Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Lay a shepherd Harry, Jezz scores. We could’ve used that goal and a bit of confidence at the break.

Back