Preview Round 12: Bulldogs vs Cats, Sat 3 June @ 7:25pm - Superhero Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't mind seeing Clohesy debut this week.

Watching him in the VFl get whacked in the head twice ...one would have been reportable in the afl level... made me question the sincerity of adjudication ..Is the overt proscution of tackles and head high bumps at afl level really about player health or is it about controlling the message. Very little is said about lower levels..yet im positive there would be thousands of CTE cases from whacks just as forceful as the top level.

But yes ... bring him in . I think its unlikely this year is our year...so blood them and lets see what we have.

The key will be isolating Stewart like we did later in the second half of the GWS game.

The Bulldogs are a tactically naive team, so I think it can be done.

We are likely to get slaughtered in the midfield so we need to set up behind the ball.

Settle DeKoning and Jack Henry back there. Tighten up the back 6. Get Stewart loose.

Scott will have to earn his money this week, but he owns Beveridge in the tactics department.

I think you are probably right.

Not just bulldogs but then PA away and Melbourne at home (maybe not as scary as it looked a few weeks ago). Not out of question we lost 2 or even 3 of these and then we need to do a 2022 back half run but just to make finals.

We can probably lose 4 more for the rest of the year and sneak in (Reckon you will need 13 wins given 23 games)…if we lose 2-3 over next month then it becomes near elimination finals most weeks.

Of course predicting in this season from week to week is very difficult so who knows.

We might not be far away from hearing about “mathematical possibility” from our coach…
After round 2 I said we would lose at least 7 more and was laughed at and ganged up on by the herd…. Hmmmm interesting!

The key will be isolating Stewart like we did later in the second half of the GWS game.

The Bulldogs are a tactically naive team, so I think it can be done.

We are likely to get slaughtered in the midfield so we need to set up behind the ball.

Settle DeKoning and Jack Henry back there. Tighten up the back 6. Get Stewart loose.

Scott will have to earn his money this week, but he owns Beveridge in the tactics department.

Agreed.

Kolo who has been in decent form of late plays an important role as well for that to work.

One thing that scares me this week is Ceglar v English at Marvel.
Do we roll the dice and drop Ceglar, bring in another midfielder (yes I know options are limited there), and go with Blitz and SDK giving him the occasional chop out? English rucks nearly all of the game and covers a lot of ground and Blitz can match him in that department.
But then again Blitz looks like our best option to go with Bont as well.

Tough week both at selection and tactically for Scott & co this week.

Well done Nostradamus on predicting that our on ball division would effectively be wiped out over the last month.

What do you mean effectively wiped out? Haven't you heard? It's basically only Dangerfield and Duncan missing now. It's debatable if Guthrie, Stanley, Holmes, etc are even best 22.

Basically only Paddy & Duncan missing now… then debatable for the others if they’re best 22.

What do you mean effectively wiped out? Haven't you heard? It's basically only Dangerfield and Duncan missing now. It's debatable if Guthrie, Stanley, Holmes, etc are even best 22.

I missed that the other day - thanks for posting

But please remember as per BF rules - no direct quoting of posts from other boards. You need need to copy & paste the content in a quote

Agreed.

Kolo who has been in decent form of late plays an important role as well for that to work.

Do we roll the dice and drop Ceglar, bring in another midfielder (yes I know options are limited there), and go with Blitz and SDK giving him the occasional chop out? English rucks nearly all of the game and covers a lot of ground and Blitz can match him in that department.

If we had anyone available to bring in I'd agree with you

As good as Sav has been intercepting in our D50, having our free defender be someone who can use the ball changed the game last week.

The Bulldogs would have to be next level stupid if they let Stewart run free this weekend. But if they do that is our pathway to victory. We'll return our D50 personnel to the same it was last year. Tuohy and Stewart's ball use from defence going quick, let our forwards just run. Blicavs as full time ruck, get Parfitt out of the forward line rotations.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed.

I've been apprehensive about Ceglar, but I think he was far from our worst against GWS. If he plays to that level every week, I'd be happy for him to stay in the team moving forward.

English is probably the best ruck in the comp at the moment, so makes it more difficult. Blicavs could match him in some areas, but our midfield is so thin i'm not sure we can take him away from there. Esava out also means SDK probably needed down back.

I don't think we have any other options this week in reality. We just have to hope that he can be competitive.

As good as Sav has been intercepting in our D50, having our free defender be someone who can use the ball changed the game last week.

The Bulldogs would have to be next level stupid if they let Stewart run free this weekend. But if they do that is our pathway to victory. We'll return our D50 personnel to the same it was last year. Tuohy and Stewart's ball use from defence going quick, let our forwards just run. Blicavs as full time ruck, get Parfitt out of the forward line rotations.
They'll focus on Stewart for sure.

I remember the 'Rohan game' in 2021. Stewart singlehandedly stopped a minimum of 5 goals by himself. We don't get close if he doesn't play that night.

Then again, Bevo is renowned for being tactically stubborn and inept at times, but I suspect they'll put a defensive forward on him of some sort.

Thanks Kingy!

I don't think he's gone over-the-top or anything. This kinda sums up the season...

“I just think this is just going to be one of those years and there's no problems, no one's upset with them. “You’ve just got to say, ‘Hey, thanks for last year, but we've just hit the wall’.

“It just does show you that it doesn't have to go wrong everywhere, you just have to be off a little bit.

“Injuries have played their part and I think that they probably get the best of other teams now.

Quite terrified to be honest about what Bont and Co will do to our midfield...

I will say something that may be unpopular though.
Sav out will help us structurally.. Dk stays back, Jack is back now.. Our premiership defensive group is all there and there will be a cohesion and unity there that Sav has just thrown off ( and I've been as impressed with him as anyone, but reckon Stew in particular will thrive from his absence)

Agree. Said in the post-game thread last week that while Save had played well up until he got injured, him off almost forced Stewart to step up. Plus, now we can put SDK back (where he belongs).

I've been apprehensive about Ceglar, but I think he was far from our worst against GWS. If he plays to that level every week, I'd be happy for him to stay in the team moving forward.

English is probably the best ruck in the comp at the moment, so makes it more difficult. Blicavs could match him in some areas, but our midfield is so thin i'm not sure we can take him away from there. Esava out also means SDK probably needed down back.

I don't think we have any other options this week in reality. We just have to hope that he can be competitive.

Ceglar was alright against GWS, but playing against Briggs on the narrow KP, is far different proposition to playing English on the fast deck at Marvel.
Playing Blicavs in the ruck is robbing Peter to pay Paul, but to get the W this weekend IMO we have to think outside the box.
We lack a midfield bull who can can make something out of nothing. Maybe Blitz in the ruck, play Jezza as more of that explosive midfielder and go with a fwd line predominantly made up of Hawk, O.Henry, Rohan, Stengle, Close & maybe Dempsey?
Playing MOC as a ball winning midfielder last week was worth a shot but failed. Do we try again or go with something different?
I don't know the answer, and I'd imagine the coaching group will be struggling to come up with one as well.
Good luck to Chris Scott & co for this weekend.

If Danger not back in (which will be a depressing Thursday lead in) do they go a bit more radical with the MF. Put Stengle in the guts for more time and/or Close? I think Stengle is better at clearances? Understand we rob the forward line but with Rohan back (different I know) I think we can cover that. And if needed bring Simpson or even Dempsey back into forward line (although I think best for Dempsey to play in VFL for at least a few weeks and try and dominate like he did on Sunday - rather than not impact the AFL team).

I would play both MOC and Stengle in the middle much more alongside blitz and Atkins and Bruin (not sure I am giving Parf another week). Just need to try and inject some attacking MF back into the mix.
Playing Stengle in the middle is robbing Peter to pay Paul. Must be a better solution.

SDK more than probably needed down back. We have to cover Naughton, Ugle-Hagen and Lobb. Only SDK matches them in the height department and it's probably indoors at Marvel which suits tall forwards.

Well done Nostradamus on predicting that our on ball division would effectively be wiped out over the last month.
Injuries are obviously playing their part, but I think we made a massive mistake being so unfit at the start of the year.

We showed up in the first few rounds and played with the intensity of practice games and expected it all to fall into place.

Playing Stengle in the middle is robbing Peter to pay Paul. Must be a better solution.
I understand. It is far from ideal…I just don’t have a better solution. Lucky I am not in charge I suppose

I did want to put Close instead of Stengle (as I think Simpson or Dempsey can cover him - not completely - better than they can Stengle) but I think Stengle is clearly better at clearances than Close - so would have more impact?

We tried MOC and not sure that worked? Plus I think we have more depth in forward line. I don’t think Henry has that in his kit bag yet and haven’t seen Rohan go through MF? 2E I don’t think is good option. Big ask for Mitch against that quality..

Do we play Jezza through there more given he hasn’t been in great form in forward line? But again Peter and Paul!

Of course we could leave it the same as GWS but think that gets the same outcome?

Again, I thought Stengle was the best of a bad set of options?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back