Preview Rnd 12 - Carlton v Fremantle Sat 15th Aug 8.10PM AEST @ Optus Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

windows1

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Play Cottrell HB, move SPS forward changing mid or bring in LOB and play Newnes forward

You could try Honey, Philp
What is MOST disappointing to me is this season has had very little of one key word there:

TRY

We have barely tried anything. The back 7 has had 1 chnage for the whole year - injury enforced Willo for Newman.

cunners has barely attended a centre bounce despite destroying them there preseason.

Honey hasn’t been played. LOB hasn’t been played. They played Moore inatead of TDk for god knows what reasons. They played Lang against melb instead of any number of kids.

they ‘tried Philp for 2 games.

Its been increasingly disappointing to me. Especially the backline. The backline has had very good performances from Jones and Weiters. Solid from Simmo. And flat out disappointing from the others.

they seem to ‘back in judgement’ for a lot longer than they should. Kennedy can’t win a clearance fo save himself. Kennedy CAN take a great mark across half forwards and kick really well. Yet he continues to be played in the centre. Our mids are slow but we leave Philip in the VFl.

To my eye Teaguehas shown himself to be an incredibly conservative coach. He consistently picks older players. He persists with guys a lot longer than any of us on here would.

I would like to see them TRY some things. Both in game and at selection.

Poor LOB must be vety flat. They recruited an absolutely nothing olayer (Newnes) who hindsight has now shown isn’t producing materially better than LOB would. So why do it? He can’t even get a game in our slow half back line ffs.

Anyway. Would be good to see some creativity at selection soon.

Red Bull

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 29, 2010
mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
In : Dow McKay McGovern Honey O’Brien

Out : Murphy Pittonet Newnes Martin Gibbons

SPS Jones Plowman
Docherty Weitering Williamson
Walsh Cripps O’Brien
Fisher McKay Honey
McGovern Casboult Betts

TDK Setterfield Dow

Curnow Kennedy Simpson Cottrell

Team DJ

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 19, 2011
Penny Lane
AFL Club
Carlton
Out: Martin (inj) Pittonet (inj/rest) Simpson & Betts (rest)

In: McGovern McKay Dow Polson

OBrien on standby if either Gov or Harry don't get up, Kennedy plays mainly forward and LOB moves to the wing and Walsh plays more inside.

Back 7
Weitering Jones Plowmann Williamson Docherty Polson Cotteral

Keys
TDK Levi Harry McGovern Gibbons

Insiders
Cripps Curnow Setterfield Dow Kennedy

Outsiders
Murphy Walsh Fisher SPS Newnes

slashin_velvet

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 5, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, STL Blues
In: McKay, Dow, Honey, Polson
Out: Pittonet, Martin, Betts, Newnes

SPS to play the Martin role, Polson to play genuine small defender, TDK to number 1 ruck, Kennedy in the Newnes role in the forward line, Dow to the midfield.

bluebaggerjuls

Team Captain
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
If Teague is gonna stand by his statement that players are going to be rewarded for their performances and not given games then dow should be a walk in next week and someone from our mid imo ed Curnow deserves to be dropped. And please get SPS out of defence clearly not working I would much rather him around the ball providing good entry to our forwards

heatleystandend

Debutant
Nov 12, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
What is MOST disappointing to me is this season has had very little of one key word there:

TRY

We have barely tried anything. The back 7 has had 1 chnage for the whole year - injury enforced Willo for Newman.

cunners has barely attended a centre bounce despite destroying them there preseason.

Honey hasn’t been played. LOB hasn’t been played. They played Moore inatead of TDk for god knows what reasons. They played Lang against melb instead of any number of kids.

Its been increasingly disappointing to me. Especially the backline. The backline has had very good performances from Jones and Weiters. Solid from Simmo. And flat out disappointing from the others.

they seem to ‘back in judgement’ for a lot longer than they should. Kennedy can’t win a clearance fo save himself. Kennedy CAN take a great mark across half forwards and kick really well. Yet he continues to be played in the centre. Our mids are slow but we leave Philip in the VFl.

To my eye Teaguehas shown himself to be an incredibly conservative coach. He consistently picks older players. He persists with guys a lot longer than any of us on here would.

Poor LOB must be vety flat. They recruited an absolutely nothing olayer (Newnes) who hindsight has now shown isn’t producing materially better than LOB would. So why do it? He can’t even get a game in our slow half back line ffs.

I think this is a great post. Sums up the situation perfectly.

Teague seems to have his plan and is only going to deviate from that unless forced to.

Bolton he would play the kids if he could find any excuse. Teague has gone too far the other direction. The kids must earn their games but if they are only slightly behind the senior player then for the future we must play them. Not all at once to make us uncompetitive again but I honestly think room for 1-2 more with the barest of loss in production.

And the backline needs to get some pace urgently. Impossible to believe the coaching panel can't see this.

BigBreakfast

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakeshow

TRY

The previous regime tried new things weekly. How did that go for them. I like our continuity.

Out: Pitto, Martin, Betts
In: H, Dow, Honey.

I'd like to find a spot for Marchy soon. Maybe Simmo and Plow plays smaller.

BigBreakfast

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakeshow
I think this is a great post. Sums up the situation perfectly.

Teague seems to have his plan and is only going to deviate from that unless forced to.

Bolton he would play the kids if he could find any excuse. Teague has gone too far the other direction. The kids must earn their games but if they are only slightly behind the senior player then for the future we must play them. Not all at once to make us uncompetitive again but I honestly think room for 1-2 more with the barest of loss in production.

And the backline needs to get some pace urgently. Impossible to believe the coaching panel can't see this.
Suggestions?

plentyblckie

Team Captain
Sep 11, 2009
plenty
AFL Club
Carlton
Out: Pittonet, Martin, Murphy and Simpson rested.

In: McKay, Dow, Polson and Marchbank.

We have another decent break.

Marchbank was bog in the practice game. I want to see Polson and Marchbank in the backline for Simpson and SPS.

SPS moved to the wing for Murphy. Dow midfield mins are a must takes Martin spot.

Pittonet out TDK number 1 and McKay as a forward.
Dow was Bog

heatleystandend

Debutant
Nov 12, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Suggestions?

I would definitely have LOB in ahead of Newnes. Any loss is minimal. I don't dislike Newnes and think he has been ok. It is just that he isn't much ahead of LOB who I think is wasting a year of development.

I think either Simpson or Betts should me eased out next. I love them both but we don't want Murphy, Betts, Simpson all leaving at one time. Stagger over next 18 months. One now, one end of season and one end of next season.

It took far too long for Fisher to get back in.

windows1

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Look I am not a Cam Polson fan. BUT. They talk about him every week. And he IS fast. So I’m going to bang on about “trying stuff” for a while now. Want to try Polson back pocket? Fine. Do it.

Teague press conference comments:
- mCG will be right this week
- cunners maybe
- Dow was great today
/ Honey Philp and Polson could all easily fit into our AFL side at the moment
- one thing we learnt today was we needed to get the ball to the outise

I expect a few changes. I expect Honey. Dow. MCG. Maybe even Polson.

He may be about to try something after all.

Jan 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I couldn't watch the game live today and just finished watching it "as live" without knowing the scores just now. So i've skipped the autopsy thread and come str8 here without knowing the tenor of the washup.

Imo, today was a big step forward. WC are a juggernaut with minimal injuries and in ripping current form and we really took it to them. They were on for the whole match and we went with them for 75% of the match.

In the end we got done by a wave of power and class. All our 22 tried today but our deficiencies were clear. Our 3 senior citizens are on absolute fumes. Simmo was ok today but Murphy and Betts were a liability. Murphy's broken tackles are not acceptable against hard running midfields. We get broken apart when a tackle is broken. We also lack class by playing all of Newnes, Cottrell, Gibbo, Ed and Kanga.

Fish was a timely reminder that class is king in AFL. Effort is a given.

Anyway i was pleased, looking forwards, by todays showing. Walsh thrived in the big game pressure. Willo was great in the first half and really growing with continuity. TDK has got it. Setters building beautifully. To mention a few.

Our future is really bright. Of that i have no doubt. Dow and Marchy redy and nearly ready. I reckon we'll have our nooks and crannys just about all sorted by the time we get our BigDog Charlie back. Go button will be hit shortly.

2c.

Eiffel 65

Cancelled
Sep 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Gryffindor
SPS needs a spell, just is not doing enough, need's a rocket.

Doesn't need a spell. Just needs a run in the midfield.

With Martin injured, I would use Murphy across half forward, Samo in the middle and bring back Marchy in defense.

Jimmyonesix

Premiership Player
Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
I would definitely have LOB in ahead of Newnes. Any loss is minimal. I don't dislike Newnes and think he has been ok. It is just that he isn't much ahead of LOB who I think is wasting a year of development.

I think either Simpson or Betts should me eased out next. I love them both but we don't want Murphy, Betts, Simpson all leaving at one time. Stagger over next 18 months. One now, one end of season and one end of next season.

It took far too long for Fisher to get back in.
Yes well I don't know how a Winger develops in these 16 and 12 a side scratch matches .. yes leaving fish out has been costly to our game but it might of been good for him... the way Teague doesn't change sides much next pre season will be a competitive one /- I think we could turn betts and Simpson this year easy enough.

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
The next few games will see some rotations happening, and this is where I think it might fall for this week:

IN: McGovern, McKay, O'Brien, Cuningham, Dow

OUT: Martin (inj), Pittonet (managed), Simpson (managed), Betts (managed), Kennedy/Newnes (omitted)

FB: Plowman Jones Williamson
HB: Docherty Weitering SPS
C: Walsh E.Curnow Murphy
HF: Cuningham Casboult Fisher
FF: McGovern McKay Gibbons

R: TDK Cripps Setterfield

Int: Dow, O'Brien, Cottrell, Kennedy/Newnes

EMG: Marchbank, Honey, Polson, Philp

I'd expect Cottrell, Murphy, TDK, Gibbons and Kennedy/Newnes to rotate the week after, maybe Plowman as well given Marchbank's availability. You'll see players rotate roles quite a bit too so that can manage 3 games in an 11 day period.

djholmes

All Australian
Oct 9, 2007
Tasmania
AFL Club
Carlton
Docherty needs to rest his knee. We need to bring in some pace.

In: Marchbank, O'Brien, Cuningham, McKay, McGovern, Dow
Out: Docherty (rest), Murphy, Gibbons, Martin (inj.), Pittonet (inj.), Newnes

B: Plowman------------------Jones-----------------Simpson

H: Marchbank-------------Weitering-------------Williamson

C: Dow----------------------Cripps-----------------O'Brien

H: Cuningham-----------McGovern---------------SPS

F: Betts---------------------McKay-----------------Fisher

Foll: De Koning, Setterfield, Walsh

Bench: E.Curnow, Kennedy, Cottrell, Casboult

FitzroyBlueBagger

FitzroyBlueBagger
Sep 30, 2018
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Carlton
What I’d like but struggle to see us making 5 changes...
Ins- McKay McGovern Cunners Dow O’Brien
Out- Martin-inj Pittonett-inj Newnes Simpson-rest Betts-rest

B- Cottrell Jones Plowman
B- Docherty Weitering O’Brien
C- Walsh Setterfield Williamson
F- SPS Casboult Cunners
F- McGovern McKay Fisher
R- DeKoning Cripps Dow
Int- Kennedy Murphy Curnow Gibbons
Emg- Honey Owies Philp ???
Dow Cunners SPS midfield rotations
Cripps Setters Kennedy Curnow rotations