Preview Round 12 Changes vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure I like Gardner and Cordy in the same backline and don’t really find it necessary for Freo. Would like Cordy to come out for West personally. We just need to win tomorrow with games against Geelong & WCE. Win tomorrow and at least one of the next two and we can just about lock in top 2 with the run after those games of North, Swans, GC & Adelaide + our troops returning. Wood & Richards over next couple of weeks and then all of Laith, Treloar, Dunks & McLean by the end of that 4 game stretch leading into the last 3 weeks of the season.

So they’re coming just gotta tick over the wins now and hopefully everyone else stays fit and we’re as good as anyone in this comp this year.

Not sure I like Gardner and Cordy in the same backline and don’t really find it necessary for Freo. Would like Cordy to come out for West personally. We just need to win tomorrow with games against Geelong & WCE. Win tomorrow and at least one of the next two and we can just about lock in top 2 with the run after those games of North, Swans, GC & Adelaide + our troops returning. Wood & Richards over next couple of weeks and then all of Laith, Treloar, Dunks & McLean by the end of that 4 game stretch leading into the last 3 weeks of the season.

So they’re coming just gotta tick over the wins now and hopefully everyone else stays fit and we’re as good as anyone in this comp this year.

Tomorrow is super important to win.
We get breathing space and can open a gap between us and chasing mob especially after Dees beat Lions and Cats play Power soon

Who said the coaching lost the game???? Nobody!

Listen to what is being said. Bevo was out coached. The players were out played. End of story. Bevo did not lose the game for us. But he didn't win it for us either. The players and coaches collectively own the wins and the losses.
So we were out-coached but that's not why we lost?
Seems to be what you are implying

Lack of effort and a breakdown of skills, too many players down on their best, was quite clearly the main cause of that loss not sure anyone could argue otherwise. Wasn’t Bevs best effort in the box by any stretch but most of the blame for that effort falls on the players

Probably geared towards Geelong and West Coast games tbh. Getting him a senior game prior is important and also gives Bevo a look at the 3 KPD set up.

Seems to be what you are implying
I didn't say and don't think it was why we lost. But it didn't help and it was a contributing factor. Perhaps the major factor. And maybe it was why we lost. We also had a lot of good players out and some who played that were down on the day. Melbourne had almost no players who missed the game and had lots of very good individual performances. There is usually more than one factor that contributes to wins and losses.

I didn't say and don't think it was why we lost. But it didn't help and it was a contributing factor. Perhaps the major factor. And maybe it was why we lost. We also had a lot of good players out and some who played that were down on the day. Melbourne had almost no players who missed the game and had lots of very good individual performances. There is usually more than one factor that contributes to wins and losses.

I think we lost because the Dees are a bloody good team with no obvious weakness. We had a lot of players down but a lot of that was because of the Dees pressure. I still think with Martin, Dunks, ADZ and Easton we can beat them. Martin providing a contest against Max is important we cannot have him giving Oliver and Petracca an arm chair ride like last night. How weak was Daniher last night when he went against Gawn he did not even provide a contest. Hopefully we never get that from Steff and Tim.

Not a fan of this weeks team. We are one too many talls and for some reason I think we look a bit slow.

Cordy and Gardner I don’t think works in the same team.

Still, if we are as good as we think we are, we should beat Freo comfortably.

We do agree on a number of players though.

Lipinski has shown he is not up to it, Schache should be in other colours next year.

Dale, been a revelation but want to see much more against better opposition.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Agree with Lippa and still hold a bit of hope of Schache, but. Lippa is a very talented player, but has not ticker. I can't wait for Mclean and Jong subject to no injuries.

What is the objectivity though Mutt? Show me a quote from any of those who pin point coaching as losing any game stating coaching won us the game against Carlton in the last quarter!!!!!

There was a game he was clearly out coached but it was not against Melbourne

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I love Bevo as a coach. No doubt he is a great coach. But the truth is sometimes the best coaches get outcoached. Against the Demons we played a very well drilled team who made the most of our mistakes in the first quarter. From my limited knowledge, Bevo and other coaches kept the same structure throughout the game. The definition of stupidy (by Einstein) is to do the same thing and expect different results. Love this thread btw.

Last edited:
Really? So when we win Bevo is a genius and when we lose it is the player's fault? Whose fault is it when the players are not switched on? Whose credit is it when the players are switched on?

They are all in it together. When we win Bevo and the players get the credit. When we lose Bevo and the players get the criticism.
Ok and when that happens consistently then it’s warranted

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who said the coaching lost the game???? Nobody!

Listen to what is being said. Bevo was out coached. The players were out played. End of story. Bevo did not lose the game for us. But he didn't win it for us either. The players and coaches collectively own the wins and the losses.
Match day coaching is the most overrated thing in footy

I love Bevo as a coach. No doubt he is a great coach. But the truth is sometimes the best coaches get outcoached. Against the Demons we played a very well drilled team who made the most of our mistakes in the first quarter. From my limited knowledge, Bevo and other coaches kept the same structure throughout the game. The definition of stupidy (by Einstein) is to do the same thing and expect different results. Love this thread btw.
The problem with rating coaches on match days is that not all coaching is about that day eg perhaps it’s good Libba deals with a tag in mid year rather than in a final for the first time. A good coach always has part of his mind on the ultimate prize not just the game in progress

Don’t forget JUH, he’ll make us a better side. Imagine trying to defend all of Naughton, Bruce and JUH.

What has Cordy done or not done to warrant omission, and what has Gardner done to warrant selection ahead of him.

Serious questions.

Zaine simply couldn't have been dropped for tomorrow's match because his recent form has been better than Keath's. Unfortunately I fear that the match committee may displace Cordy from his normal position/role to accommodate Gardner tomorrow, which could be detrimental to both him and the team.

I do believe that some adjustments against certain teams in defence makes sense. We have a good settled back 7 but this should be good enough to have some movement and keep developing the sane system.

A number of teams have three good talls and we can get caught out very occasionally and when we do it looks bad - we come up against Geelong on a couple and they commonly play 4 over 193 (even though Rohan plays like a medium).

Freo isn’t one of those - Taberner and Lobb are big but just two of them are large - they rely on smalls mostly. It must be that Bevo wants to bring Gardner back for a run or is going to try and free up Keath to intercept. Cordy has previously done ok on marking smalls.

We are in the top couple best defences in the comp statistically but still have weaknesses in 1:1 and intercepts. Maybe he is working on those? As a spectator - we just seem to defend our zone and person but don’t play the ball and just go for the mark - this is a risk but if enough pressure is on upfield then it works but our best marks in Keath and Young have not played that way and Wood is injured and doesn’t play as loose.

Our defensive launches are the best in the league with Caleb and Dale. Williams, Wood and Crozier despite some form and injuries of late are top shelf. JJ and Richards rolling through is great too.

But when was the last time we were a wall like Melbourne were to us last week and a number of teams last year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back