Toast Round 12 = Collingwood vs Adelaide 78-73

Remove this Banner Ad

Bianco seems to have good strength too. His tackles stuck when I thought he'd get steamrolled. Combine that with his kicking but more importantly his decision making and he looks a real player.
Agreed with tackling we badly need players that can stop opponents rather than just impeding them.

I was there too -as an 11 year old, standing on empty steel beer cans in front of the scoreboard.
Although my personal favourite for the 'Pies best big bag of goals is Carman's 11 goals at Moorabbin in 1975.
Carman was a thing of beauty in full flight.

Agreed with tackling we badly need players that can stop opponents rather than just impeding them.
We need to teach them to wrap the arms.
We tackle ok, but 90% of the time the opponents arms are free and, considering the time given these days by the umpires to dispose of the ball, usually the ball goes to the opponent’s teammate.
Must pin at least one arm.

We need to teach them to wrap the arms.
We tackle ok, but 90% of the time the opponents arms are free and, considering the time given these days by the umpires to dispose of the ball, usually the ball goes to the opponent’s teammate.
Must pin at least one arm.
Agreed that single skill applied across the entire playing group can lift us up the ladder.

Dunstall about my favourite commentator. Has his set views but is fair and gives a serve without fear or favour. I never get a feeling he doesn’t like the Pies. Don’t think he gives out those vibes with anyone

I think last night the commentary was very poor.

I get that Covid is a thing, but last night wasn’t the first game that was commentated by folks watching the feed rather than being at the ground (apart from Riccuito of course).

I reckon that’s poor - I don’t need folks to tell me what I’m looking at on the telly, I can see with my own eyes.

A few of their rule calls were just patently wrong.

I get that commentators in our game traditionally barrack for the team that’s behind, to try and build drama. But last night was not that. It seemed like Hudson and / or Russell were barracking for the Crows irrespective of the score line.

I was there too -as an 11 year old, standing on empty steel beer cans in front of the scoreboard.
Although my personal favourite for the 'Pies best big bag of goals is Carman's 11 goals at Moorabbin in 1975.

Are you sure the beer cans where actually empty?;)

I think last night the commentary was very poor.

I get that Covid is a thing, but last night wasn’t the first game that was commentated by folks watching the feed rather than being at the ground (apart from Riccuito of course).

I reckon that’s poor - I don’t need folks to tell me what I’m looking at on the telly, I can see with my own eyes.

A few of their rule calls were just patently wrong.

I get that commentators in our game traditionally barrack for the team that’s behind, to try and build drama. But last night was not that. It seemed like Hudson and / or Russell were barracking for the Crows irrespective of the score line.

Interesting. Bar someone like Ian Robertson back in the day I have never worried too much about commentators and teams. Hudson and Geelong probably the biggest supporter but I like him overall

Have always liked Dunstalls analysis except that he can’t see the benefits of kicking around the corner etc

I got to play golf with Johnno Brown a couple of times last month and he told me they do have a bank of views at any one time plus 2 extra long range views just for the commentators. Nonetheless he did say it was much harder to know what was happening and more educated guessing involved.

Are you sure the beer cans where actually empty?;)
Probably added stability if they weren’t. Steel in those days too. Just don’t tip em up was the go.

Last edited:
Getting a win was nice but don’t think we played much differently then we usually do, the only difference was that Elliott was back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We moved the ball forward a hell of a lot more than kicking laterally and backwards. We were prepared to turn it over down the line then mess about with it in defence.
Agreed. We took risker options than we usually would. We moved the ball a lot better.

Interesting. Bar someone like Ian Robertson back in the day I have never worried too much about commentators and teams. Hudson and Geelong probably the biggest supporter but I like him overall

Have always liked Dunstalls analysis except that he can’t see the benefits of kicking around the corner etc

I got to play golf with Johnno Brown a couple of times last month and he told me they do have a bank of views at any one time plus 2 extra long range views just for the commentators. Nonetheless he did say it was much harder to know what was happening and more educated guessing involved.
You are obviously well connected. I don't even play golf, let alone hang around with the upper crust of Melbourne society or the football world. I am surprised you are not continually feeding us tidbits of inside information!

Last edited:
You are obviously well connected. I don't even play golf, let alone hang around with the upper crust of Melbourne society or the football world. I am surprised you are not continually feeding us titbits of inside information!

T i d b i t s?

Big call for GC otherwise

"Crisp gets around Chayce"
"Now Chayce has to chase"

I wondered who is Chayce.
Turns out it's Chayce Jones.
I liked them getting stuck into Mihocek at one point late in the game for his lack of defensive effort. I’m pretty certain it was actually Cameron. But hey, who cares what order the numbers appear on the guernsey, as long as they’re all there!

Crisp is the most underrated player in the game.

He's just a star. So consistent.

He's my favourite Pies player. He's not our best and he makes the odd blue no doubt, but I can't think of anyone else in the side who just turns up every week and gives the same consistency. Probably only Pendlebury back in the day. The fact that he hasn't missed a game since he arrived is unbelievable really. Bang for your buck and he's our number 1 imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back