Toast Round 12 = Collingwood vs Adelaide 78-73

Remove this Banner Ad

Supporters that saw McKenna play undoubtedly recall many fine afternoons, but there are not many still breathing - he is 74 after all.
Was a 10 year old boy during his heyday, remember Macca very well. Had his number 6 on the back of my jumper like 100’s of others. He had rock star status and he delivered, magnificent player.

Interesting. Bar someone like Ian Robertson back in the day I have never worried too much about commentators and teams. Hudson and Geelong probably the biggest supporter but I like him overall

Have always liked Dunstalls analysis except that he can’t see the benefits of kicking around the corner etc

I got to play golf with Johnno Brown a couple of times last month and he told me they do have a bank of views at any one time plus 2 extra long range views just for the commentators. Nonetheless he did say it was much harder to know what was happening and more educated guessing involved.
about 20 years ago i used to see Peter McKenna and Ian Robinson a lot when they were still commentating. Am mates with a footballer and they came up to him and talked a lot. Peter Mckenna was an absolute gentleman, very nice and approached people to talk to them who recognised him. Robbo scowled and looked angry that people recognized him , Absolute tosser. Difference between Collingwood and Carlton people! (i refuse to believe Mckenna's stint at Carlton ever happened!)

This a horrible take! I’m not saying we played like world beaters but it’s clear as day we kept our defence tight while playing a more attacking game tonight. I honestly thought we got the balance between defence and attack a lot better than previous weeks.

Adelaide have been playing good footy despite their ladder position and recently knocked off the dees who are red hot. The reality is we didn’t have much depth prior to having to get rid of 3 first 22 players due to the cap. Then we copped injuries to some of our most important players and were forced to throw in a bunch of kids, sidey and pendles both good tonight but have probably declined quicker than expected which hasn’t helped the cause.

Our games before tonight haven’t been good to watch but I honestly don’t think we have the a skilful list save for these kids coming on who are inexperienced and will make mistakes.

shout out to Jamie we really missed his class up forward clearly, 6 after being out so long is amazing. Crisp was relentless tonight! Poulter and Bianco looked like real players for the future, both are skillful and cool in a crisis. And the old heads stood up. We are a rebuilding side and tonight was a step in the right direction, although it will be hard to maintain that up against the form side of the comp next week but here’s hoping to atleast be competitive.

Yup i get your point. And i was a bit harsh....it is a good step in the right direction.

But in reality, that's a 4-6 goal loss against a good team.
We rely on our stars more than most other teams. Having Jamie kick 6 straight, combined with Tex kicking behinds is what made the day.

I'm just looking for how we get back into the top 4....and my comments were based around that.

As a team, we just have no intensity and its been like that for 3 years.
We refuse to shepherd, we love to run past and get a handball instead of calling the player on and giving them 1-2 more seconds.
Degoey "flashed past" about 4-5 times and refused to take the body.....good teams will make you pay for that.
We wont smother and and throw our bodies on the line. Those defensive acts are what turns defense into offense a lot of the time.

The intensity that the good teams show isn't there. That's not talent. That's work ethic and commitment.

Let me ask a question, can you remember the last time we got a cheap goal?
They are built on defensive pressure and being able to capitalise from oppositions mistakes or a questionable ump call.
I'm trying to remember one this year?

So it was a nice win against the 15th team....
But i stand by my assessment of the players. Give me one of them you disagree with and why?

And as for our ball movement......it was no better this week. 44 I50 is not going to get it done 95% of the time!

So lets see how we go against a good defensive team next week!
I'd love it to be similar to what we saw yesterday....but feel it wont be!

Wow, you're writing off players who have played 2 to 3 games..

On SM-G981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm writing off players that have been on the list for multiple years!

Rantall is possibly the exception to the list. But I'm personally doubtful.
To my eyes, he has no special skills and his body looks small. Happy to be wrong of course!
I was hoping to see him in the middle, but his body is just so light i don't think it would have ended well!
He fumbled three times and that is not the trait of someone who has the speed and pace (even in early games).

So what role does he play going forward?

Lynch has had a long time and watching him in the VFL, I've come to the conclusion he's a good VFL player. But O'Brien was in the top 3-5 on the ground.
Having said that....i do wonder if he can ben a key defensive post when Roughhead goes....that's his only chance.

Cameron - the only time we lost more from stoppage was when Cameron was in the ruck. When forward, he got out marked and was owned by Doodae (however you spell it!)...a guy 20 cms shorter!
We all go off at Cox for the same thing... And for all of the comments about Cox's agility, Cameron gave nothing more!

Sier - i was a massive fan. But his defensive effort says he's reached his ceiling.....and he got injured in game again (how many times is that btw??)

Anyway, its just an opinion and means nothing to the team or how they go next week!!
Go pies.

I'm one of the few.

Outstanding forward but just a lead and mark forward - superb kick for goal but Hudson better at ground level.
Agreed. Macca was the best kick at goal I've ever seen, but Hudson was the better FF -- a freak. Better than anyone I've seen since then, too. His bodywork in contests was incredible.

Agreed. Macca was the best kick at goal I've ever seen, but Hudson was the better FF -- a freak. Better than anyone I've seen since then, too. His bodywork in contests was incredible.
I still remember a day at Kardinia Park when my neighbor John Scarlett lined up on Hudson. I was sure John killed him until I got hhome and saw Hudson had kicked a lazy 8. Freakish

WHE is definitely working harder defensively. I can't ever recall him applying so much pressure. I get the impression he's been spoken to.

Nah, always has, people just judge him harshly. Still gets stepped a lot but he's not on his own in that regard.

Nah, always has, people just judge him harshly. Still gets stepped a lot but he's not on his own in that regard.

I've never been one of those harsh judges. I don't need gps data to see he's upped the ante and intensity with his defensive application.

We moved the ball forward a hell of a lot more than kicking laterally and backwards. We were prepared to turn it over down the line then mess about with it in defence.
This isn’t the first game we’ve attempted to move the ball through the corridor. We started out strong then held on defensively. Only this time we won so no one is complaining.

I've never been one of those harsh judges. I don't need gps data to see he's upped the ante and intensity with his defensive application.
It only looks like he’s upped his ante because he’s around the ball more.

This isn’t the first game we’ve attempted to move the ball through the corridor. We started out strong then held on defensively. Only this time we won so no one is complaining.
Thank god someone else said this.

79 against Adelaide is not dissimilar to 59 against Port Adelaide. The Crows routinely picked us out while surging and gave us a number of opportunities to counterattack while in disarray defensively. Not to mention personnel changes were also responsible for +4 or 5 goals, if we take the difference between Elliott’s output and McCreery’s likely output had he played (not a pot shot at McCreery, I really like him and think he’ll be a 150 gamer for us but Elliott is dynamic and provides movement). I think if there was a meaningful emphasis on attack we crack 100 there - I just think we were poorer defensively than we normally are on Saturday and people seem to take that as an indicia of a deliberate shift.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I never said it wasn't, I'm sure the intention is always there. The Carlton and Brisbane games were similar. Jump them early with slick ball movement through the guts. You'll rarely see a game now where the opposition won't get a run on and arrest the momentum at some point (unless you're a weak as piss side like St Kilda)

I'm referring to the game v Geelong where we simply refused to have a crack at the corridor kick all day. Yes Geelong set up very well behind the ball but you've got to risk turning it over at times to try and break the zone defence.

The worry this week is how do we make Lever and May accountable. One of them will just sit back all day and chop off long kicks down the line. We need a huge game from Checkers and maybe Mayne to play a forward tag on Lever.

But in reality, that's a 4-6 goal loss against a good team.
We rely on our stars more than most other teams. Having Jamie kick 6 straight, combined with Tex kicking behinds is what made the day.

The irony is that we've played the good teams and still haven't lost by 4-6 goals to the majority of them.

• 16 point loss to the Dogs
  • 10 point loss to the Cats
  • 1 point loss to Lions and Power

Win two of those and we have as many wins as the much celebrated Bombers!

The worry this week is how do we make Lever and May accountable. One of them will just sit back all day and chop off long kicks down the line. We need a huge game from Checkers and maybe Mayne to play a forward tag on Lever.
Bianco with 63 inside 50’s on Monday.

I'm writing off players that have been on the list for multiple years!

Rantall is possibly the exception to the list. But I'm personally doubtful.
To my eyes, he has no special skills and his body looks small. Happy to be wrong of course!
I was hoping to see him in the middle, but his body is just so light i don't think it would have ended well!
He fumbled three times and that is not the trait of someone who has the speed and pace (even in early games).

So what role does he play going forward?

Lynch has had a long time and watching him in the VFL, I've come to the conclusion he's a good VFL player. But O'Brien was in the top 3-5 on the ground.
Having said that....i do wonder if he can ben a key defensive post when Roughhead goes....that's his only chance.

Cameron - the only time we lost more from stoppage was when Cameron was in the ruck. When forward, he got out marked and was owned by Doodae (however you spell it!)...a guy 20 cms shorter!
We all go off at Cox for the same thing... And for all of the comments about Cox's agility, Cameron gave nothing more!

Sier - i was a massive fan. But his defensive effort says he's reached his ceiling.....and he got injured in game again (how many times is that btw??)

Anyway, its just an opinion and means nothing to the team or how they go next week!!
Go pies.
Although in the last qtr Cameron took a couple of strong contested marks and from the centre bounce he followed up and laid a tackle with 6 minutes to go which resulted in the winning goal.

19 games into his career he is going to have off days. But, it was pleasing to see he didn't give up, kept at it, and contributed to the win in the final quarter.

After finally viewing the game I'm not sure what to take away from it.

Good to get the win away from home and under COVID restrictions but it looked like a contest between two bottom 4 sides if I'm honest.

Elliott and his accuracy was the difference in the end, Poulter, Bianco and Quaynor all look to have a bright future, Maynard is getting back to his best while Crisp continues to win plenty of the ball without much fanfare.

If games against Brisbane and Port were two wins that went begging then we had some good fortune this time around as half way through the 3rd it was 17 scoring shots to 9 and Adelaide should have put us away already.

Am I going mental or did the commentary team mention repeatedly that our game was 14th v 15th? Just another laughably bad example of how horrible AFL commentary actually is (presuming I didn’t imagine it)
Yeah, I noticed that too. I thought to myself - when did we jump up to 15th? Not a lot of difference either way, but it just speaks to the professionalism and preparation of the commentators.

I'm probably unreasonably cynical, but I thought Huddo and Dunstall were booting home the Crows from the outset. Was particularly obvious when Jamie Elliott goaled in the last - crickets and donuts from the parochial crowd and stunned silence in the commentary box, LOL

After finally viewing the game I'm not sure what to take away from it.

Good to get the win away from home and under COVID restrictions but it looked like a contest between two bottom 4 sides if I'm honest.

Elliott and his accuracy was the difference in the end, Poulter, Bianco and Quaynor all look to have a bright future, Maynard is getting back to his best while Crisp continues to win plenty of the ball without much fanfare.

If games against Brisbane and Port were two wins that went begging then we had some good fortune this time around as half way through the 3rd it was 17 scoring shots to 9 and Adelaide should have put us away already.
That's a fair summary I reckon, but I also think that the win on the road, under such difficult restrictions, could galvanise the boys and give them some much-needed belief in themselves. It was heartwarming.

I never said it wasn't, I'm sure the intention is always there. The Carlton and Brisbane games were similar. Jump them early with slick ball movement through the guts. You'll rarely see a game now where the opposition won't get a run on and arrest the momentum at some point (unless you're a weak as piss side like St Kilda)

I'm referring to the game v Geelong where we simply refused to have a crack at the corridor kick all day. Yes Geelong set up very well behind the ball but you've got to risk turning it over at times to try and break the zone defence.

I think that was more because the Cats defensively own the corridor. Experienced defence that rarely gets picked apart with any consistency.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back