Toast Round 12 = Collingwood vs Adelaide 78-73

Remove this Banner Ad

Thank god someone else said this.

79 against Adelaide is not dissimilar to 59 against Port Adelaide. The Crows routinely picked us out while surging and gave us a number of opportunities to counterattack while in disarray defensively. Not to mention personnel changes were also responsible for +4 or 5 goals, if we take the difference between Elliott’s output and McCreery’s likely output had he played (not a pot shot at McCreery, I really like him and think he’ll be a 150 gamer for us but Elliott is dynamic and provides movement). I think if there was a meaningful emphasis on attack we crack 100 there - I just think we were poorer defensively than we normally are on Saturday and people seem to take that as an indicia of a deliberate shift.
Yet they made Melbourne look like idiots.

There's no doubt we are very much also rans but don't belittle our performance that way.

Yet they made Melbourne look like idiots.

There's no doubt we are very much also rans but don't belittle our performance that way.
You were impressed with the second and most of the third where we backed ourselves consistently into the back pockets with lateral switches that didn’t actually release our players? Or did you just forget that because we happened to win?

You were impressed with the second and most of the third where we backed ourselves consistently into the back pockets with lateral switches that didn’t actually release our players? Or did you just forget that because we happened to win?
Please try not to put words into other posters mouths, it's an ugly look. I'm far from impressed by our playstyle but I'm prepared to acknowledge progress however slight instead of continually harping on shortcomings and refusing to acknowledge improvement.

My last reply to you.

Moving on.

This isn’t the first game we’ve attempted to move the ball through the corridor. We started out strong then held on defensively. Only this time we won so no one is complaining.
Selwood covered that last Friday.
Said “we attempted to go faster v Geelong, however we kept turning it over, so reverted to more conservative game”
”this week v Adelaide we will attempt to move faster again”
This falls in line with Bucks comments...same game plan v Geelong & Adelaide.
Try to move it fast...if it works continue, if it doesn’t switch modes.

Please try not to put words into other posters mouths, it's an ugly look. I'm far from impressed by our playstyle but I'm prepared to acknowledge progress however slight instead of continually harping on shortcomings and refusing to acknowledge improvement.

My last reply to you.

Moving on.
You literally just did the same to me - belittle our performance? The crux of my point was that it was essentially no different to the Port game, but people are attributing things to it that simply weren’t there. I don’t blame Bucks saying there was no difference to game plan this week - from what I observed there wasn’t any huge tangible difference in our willingness to try to utilise the corridor. We just had better cattle in that executed better and the opposition were also relatively poorer at defending it.

You literally just did the same to me - belittle our performance? The crux of my point was that it was essentially no different to the Port game, but people are attributing things to it that simply weren’t there. I don’t blame Bucks saying there was no difference to game plan this week - from what I observed there wasn’t any huge tangible difference in our willingness to try to utilise the corridor. We just had better cattle in that executed better and the opposition were also relatively poorer at defending it.
Moving on.

Selwood covered that last Friday.
Said “we attempted to go faster v Geelong, however we kept turning it over, so reverted to more conservative game”
”this week v Adelaide we will attempt to move faster again”
This falls in line with Bucks comments...same game plan v Geelong & Adelaide.
Try to move it fast...if it works continue, if it doesn’t switch modes.

Same as every team does... shock horror.

Same as every team does... shock horror.
It's a whole variety of factors. Bucks is very much defence first (but so are most coaches). We don't have many blokes in the team who are good runners allowing slingshot footy. We don't have many blokes who are good kicks allowing us to dissect zones by foot. We're low on confidence, so most will go into their shells a bit and take the safer option.

But I do suspect he sends messages in a way that focusses on errors and unintentionally discourages brave footy.

It's a whole variety of factors. Bucks is very much defence first (but so are most coaches). We don't have many blokes in the team who are good runners allowing slingshot footy. We don't have many blokes who are good kicks allowing us to dissect zones by foot. We're low on confidence, so most will go into their shells a bit and take the safer option.

But I do suspect he sends messages in a way that focusses on errors and unintentionally discourages brave footy.
How would we really know what message he sends, with confidence down they most will do the safe options

How would we really know what message he sends, with confidence down they most will do the safe options

I don't know. It's a suspicion based on having worked under a few high achieving perfectionists (I don't think it's a good personality type for management, unless tempered by other personality types), coupled with so many of our players having had extended form slumps over the years under Bucks, coupled with a style of footy that has so often defaulted to dreary over the last decade.

Yeah, I'm not too sure about the messages he sends. My impression from the outside looking in is that he's generally quite positive so I'd lean more toward him giving encouragement. How that message is delivered and perceived though, who knows.

it’s been well reported that one of the reasons we improved after 2017 was Buckley focusing more on the positives. Given that positive experience he will have continued in that vein - so I can’t agree he now focuses on errors.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure if Hudson meant it, but this was impressive alliteration with three minutes left;

“Doedee did his darnedest, but he didn’t drag it down!”

it’s been well reported that one of the reasons we improved after 2017 was Buckley focusing more on the positives. Given that positive experience he will have continued in that vein - so I can’t agree he now focuses on errors.
The unsolicited hugs which Buckley got from many of the players as they re-entered the changerooms after the victory, suggest to me that there is a genuine affection and respect for their coach among the playing group. It seemed spontaneous.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back