Toast Round 12 = Collingwood vs Adelaide 78-73

Remove this Banner Ad

Victories have been hard to come by for the Magpies this season. On Saturday, Collingwood recorded their third victory in 2021 by vanquishing Adelaide by 5 points, courtesy of an excellent start and very accurate goalkicking for most of the game, while the Crows were rather wasteful with their scoring opportunities. The Woods set up their victory with a barnstorming quarter to start the game with direct ball movement from stoppages or transition allowing Jamie Elliott to get off the chain and cash in with 4 of Collingwood's 5 goals in the opening term. The Magpies absorbed plenty of punishment from the Crows in the following three quarters, and there were fears that Adelaide were going to run away with the win during the third & fourth term, before Collingwood halted their momentum with telling majors against the run of play on both counts, before winning enough aerial contests in the closing stages of the match to ensure that their tour of Adelaide would end successfully for an inexperienced team that did not have quantity of experience available for selection. To conjure a victory without the ilk of Brodie Grundy, Taylor Adams & Jeremy Howe speaks volumes for the club going forward. Max Lynch showed competitiveness as the main ruckman, while the likes of Trent Bianco and Caleb Poulter epitomised class beyond their years, and will form the next wave of talent that is beginning to emerge in more recent times at Collingwood. The next group or wave of players that have started their AFL career will determine how long it takes before the Magpies return to finals as early as possible. The earlier this occurs, the club will then be back in contention for premiership cups in the coming seasons.

Collingwood only won a handful of statistical categories, such as kicks by +23 (225 - 202), uncontested marks had a differential of +39 (99 - 60), with Contested Marks up by +1 (16 - 15), and tackles were won by +24 (76 - 52). Adelaide got their gains from disposals by +23 (357 - 334), handballs were won by +46 (155 - 109), +20 for contested possessions (142 - 122), uncontested possessions had a margin of +5 (211 - 206), and intercept possessions were up by +4 (65 - 61). Hit-outs went Adelaide's way by +8 (37 - 29), clearances were won by +7 (38 - 31), with centre clearances won by +3 (13 - 10), while stoppage clearances had an advantage of +4 (25 - 21). Tackles Inside 50 had a differential of +3 ( 11 - 8 ) , and Inside 50s were won by +6 (50 - 44). Marks Inside 50 (15 apiece) were evenly split.

Jack Crisp (31 disposals @ 74%, 412 metres gained, 11 contested possessions, 20 uncontested possessions, 7 intercept possessions, 21 kicks, 10 handballs, 9 marks, 3 tackles, 1 goal assist, 3 score involvements, 3 clearances, 3 stoppage clearances, 2 Inside 50s & 9 Rebound 50s) provided great drive through the midfield and half-back, and worked extremely hard as a marking outlet for his teammates and used the ball effectively when it was required. Crisp remains my outright favourite to win the Copeland Trophy this year.

Steele Sidebottom (22 disposals @ 77%, 234 metres gained, 10 contested possessions, 12 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 14 kicks, 8 handballs, 5 marks, 2 Marks Inside 50, 3 tackles, 3 score involvements, 7 clearances, 2 centre clearances, 5 stoppage clearances & 1 goal) provided class through the midfield, where he was gathering the ball cleanly below his knees to win clearances, before getting dangerous on the scoreboard in the second half when he drifted forward to take marks.

Scott Pendlebury (21 disposals @ 81%, 160 metres gained, 10 contested possessions, 11 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 11 kicks, 10 handballs, 5 marks, 9 tackles, 6 clearances, 5 stoppage clearances & 4 Rebound 50s) started the game in defence before being moved into the midfield to provide direction and leadership where it counted.

Will Hoskin-Elliott (21 disposals @ 57%, 406 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 16 uncontested possessions, 5 intercept possessions, 16 kicks, 5 handballs, 7 marks, 4 tackles, 1 goal assist, 5 score involvements, 4 Inside 50s & 2 Rebound 50s) found some much-needed form with his ability to become a marking option for his teammates a valuable asset. Hoskin-Elliott conjured a goal-saving tackle deep in Collingwood's defence during the second term, which will not go unnoticed in the
team's review of the performance during the week.

Caleb Poulter (20 disposals @ 75%, 482 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 14 uncontested possessions, 16 kicks, 4 handballs, 10 marks, 3 tackles, 6 score involvements, 3 Inside 50s & 1 goal) played his best game for the club since his debut a month ago. Poulter is demonstrating his strengths and powers beyond his years, which will serve him and the club extremely well in the immediate future.

Josh Daicos (18 disposals @ 78%, 272 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 11 uncontested possessions, 13 kicks, 5 handballs, 4 marks, 4 tackles, 1 goal assist, 3 score involvements, 5 clearances, 3 centre clearances, 2 stoppage clearances, 4 Inside 50s & 1 goal) continued to add more strings to his bow with his ability to win clearances from the midfield, which he previously has not shown us until now. Daicos was able to find time and space to kick the ball well after winning those clearances. We are starting to watch Daicos evolve into a more-rounded footballer that has added another weapon to his game.

Brayden Maynard (19 disposals @ 79%, 474 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 14 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 15 kicks, 4 handballs, 4 marks, 3 tackles, 1 goal assist, 3 score involvements, 3 Inside 50s & 4 Rebound 50s) was able to find enough time and space in defence to use his booming left foot to the team's advantage.

Darcy Moore (18 disposals @ 72%, 399 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 13 uncontested possessions, 6 intercept possessions, 13 kicks, 5 handballs, 7 marks, 4 Contested Marks, 2 score involvements & 7 Rebound 50s) had a sensational aerial game with his well-versed talents to take intercept marks. Some of his field kicking was atrocious, although he was relatively tidy elsewhere and did enough to keep the team ahead of the game.

Isaac Quaynor (17 disposals @ 71%, 283 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 12 uncontested possessions, 7 intercept possessions, 13 kicks, 4 handballs, 8 marks, 5 tackles & 4 Rebound 50s) won enough of the ball to do enough damage with it. However, Quaynor had periods where he failed to take uncontested marks in defence, and he was unusually sloppy at ground level where he tended to fumble the ball at the wrong times. Two key areas for Isaac to fix up on Queen's Birthday.

John Noble (15 disposals @ 73%, 249 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 11 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 8 kicks, 7 handballs, 3 marks, 5 tackles, 2 score involvements & 4 Inside 50s) displayed plenty of dash whenever he pushed higher up the ground from defence to break a few lines either with his kicking game or running game to run his opponents ragged. Ball use remained at a good standard which allowed the team to defend for longer periods.

Jordan Roughead (13 disposals @ 92%, 147 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 7 uncontested possessions, 7 intercept possessions, 9 kicks, 4 handballs, 9 marks, 3 Contested Marks, 3 tackles & 3 Rebound 50s) complimented Moore nicely with plenty of marks taken to allow the Magpies to regain possession and save goals from being conceded at the right time.

Trent Bianco (16 disposals @ 69%, 302 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 10 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 11 kicks, 5 handballs, 4 marks, 4 tackles, 1 goal assist, 5 score involvements, 4 Inside 50s & 1 goal) showed his ability to create scores from his possessions, and he was able to step up to the plate to convert his first AFL goal when the Magpies were under the pump and up against it.

Jordan De Goey (15 disposals @ 67%, 221 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 8 uncontested possessions, 12 kicks, 3 handballs, 9 marks, 4 Marks Inside 50, 1 goal assist, 5 score involvements, 2 clearances, 2 centre clearances, 3 Inside 50s & 1 goal) provided an option up forward where he took his marks, before having a cameo in the midfield to give his team an option to use a different mix of midfielders.

Jamie Elliott (14 disposals @ 86%, 382 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 8 uncontested possessions, 10 kicks, 4 handballs, 6 marks, 2 Contested Marks, 4 Marks Inside 50, 3 tackles, 6 score involvements, 4 Inside 50s & 6 goals) had a career-best game where he booted six goals for the first time ever in his career. Elliott set the game up early with 4 goals in the opening term, before he steadied the ship in the second and fourth quarters to ensure Collingwood had a lead at half time and kicked Collingwood's last goal of the game which ultimately proved to be the winning goal at the final siren. We've missed you immensely, Billy! May you provide as much entertainment for the fans and members for the remainder of the seson.

Collingwood's next game will be against Melbourne on June 14 at the SCG. Different experience for both clubs playing each other in Sydney, and it is widely expected that the Demons (premiership favourites) will be too strong for a significantly weakened Collingwood line-up. The plan for the Woods against the Dees will be pure and simple. That is making the most of scoring opportunities on offer to ensure any chance of victory becomes achievable before the bye.

Look at all those metres gaines by Poulter and Bianco! Good stuff.

Crisp has once again been low key brilliant this season. I've long wanted him to push into the midfield with his combination of size and speed something thats lacking in our on ball brigade.

You also get the feeling that Pendles has more utility off half back than half forward. Can find space a bit easier on the rebound and is such a reliable user of the ball for that exit D50 kick. Doesn't have the pace to break lines, but thats what Noble and IQ are in the side for. By contrast, Sidebottom at half forward should be more of a natural fit as well.

I've been broadly against DeGoey in the middle because 1) he seemed to struggle with his positioning at stoppages and got a little lost in the past 2) we lost a lot up forward when he wasn't there and 3) his talents seemed a bit wasted following the ball all the way into D50. However, he was clean with the ball yesterday and his place in the F50 is nicely filled by Elliott, which really has brought me around on the idea of him as a 65% mid.

peter perfect is still a spring chicken!
I saw him kick the 16.4 against the Swans....and I'm still breathing....lol
Amazing performance 100pts of his boot alone, more than our whole team booted yesterday. I was lucky to see so many of these great players play

I'm one of the few.

Outstanding forward but just a lead and mark forward - superb kick for goal but Hudson better at ground level.
I think I am same vintage or older than you Jon but you do McKenna a tremendous disservice by calling him “just a lead and mark forward”. I saw a lot of his great games, he was the total focus of our forward line and was largely unstoppable at his best. Teams tried everything to stop him and you saw how important he was and how Collingwood could be stopped when Tuddy took him out in 1970 GF. Cost us a flag.

Hudson better again but not by that much. Hudson is also well in the argument as the greatest forward of all time.

I think I am same vintage or older than you Jon but you do McKenna a tremendous disservice by calling him “just a lead and mark forward”. I saw a lot of his great games, he was the total focus of our forward line and was largely unstoppable at his best. Teams tried everything to stop him and you saw how important he was and how Collingwood could be stopped when Tuddy took him out in 1970 GF. Cost us a flag.

Hudson better again but not by that much. Hudson is also well in the argument as the greatest forward of all time.
No argument regarding Peter's power to dominate games but I stand by my assessment - his skillset was to lead fast and wide, taking the mark out in front from superb delivery and threading the needle at a very high success rate.

Superb full forward.

But Hudson could take the contested mark and craft the ground goal better - a more complete package.

peter perfect is still a spring chicken!
I saw him kick the 16.4 against the Swans....and I'm still breathing....lol
I was there too -as an 11 year old, standing on empty steel beer cans in front of the scoreboard.
Although my personal favourite for the 'Pies best big bag of goals is Carman's 11 goals at Moorabbin in 1975.

How bloody good was it to see us kick straight, especially after the first three quarters last week. 4 straight at the end of the cats game, 7 straight to start this week.

Jamie showing what it’s like to have natural forwards in your team, leading at the ball.

Working hard into space, running back to goal, double backing and coming at the ball carrier.

We’ve tried to put too many makeshift forwards down there for too long, they make one lead then want it dumped on their head in a wrestling match.
It was a Great display of forward craft. His leading and kicking was brilliant and it makes the game look easy. Then he backs that up with his ability to manufacture goals out of nothing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How bloody good was it to see us kick straight, especially after the first three quarters last week. 4 straight at the end of the cats game, 7 straight to start this week.
Amazing how when you break through the centre and come straight at goals how much better your kicking for goal becomes

Bit early yet, but worth noting, that Hine may have resurrected his reputation with the 2019 and 2020 drafts. And unpopular though he his, Ned Guy also had a hand, as he did on Wednesday night in his last bit of work for us. For Guy, this may not be enough to rescue his name after the list management and contract debacles of the last several years. But these guys are never all bad at their jobs, just as they are never all good.

Last edited:
Not as big a bag as some others mentioned here, but Medhurst’s 6 on ANZAC Day followed by the GOAT ANZAC medal acceptance speech has a very special place in my heart.

If you could see all his gps data and full suite of stats, I’d guess it’d show that he’s not working any harder, just more impactful since he’s moved to the wing.

WHE is definitely working harder defensively. I can't ever recall him applying so much pressure. I get the impression he's been spoken to.

Yes it’s a nice change to have a player who can kick the ball effectively. Bianco has stepped into AFL with ease. Looks a player!

Bianco seems to have good strength too. His tackles stuck when I thought he'd get steamrolled. Combine that with his kicking but more importantly his decision making and he looks a real player.

Look at all those metres gaines by Poulter and Bianco! Good stuff.

Crisp has once again been low key brilliant this season. I've long wanted him to push into the midfield with his combination of size and speed something thats lacking in our on ball brigade.

You also get the feeling that Pendles has more utility off half back than half forward. Can find space a bit easier on the rebound and is such a reliable user of the ball for that exit D50 kick. Doesn't have the pace to break lines, but thats what Noble and IQ are in the side for. By contrast, Sidebottom at half forward should be more of a natural fit as well.

I've been broadly against DeGoey in the middle because 1) he seemed to struggle with his positioning at stoppages and got a little lost in the past 2) we lost a lot up forward when he wasn't there and 3) his talents seemed a bit wasted following the ball all the way into D50. However, he was clean with the ball yesterday and his place in the F50 is nicely filled by Elliott, which really has brought me around on the idea of him as a 65% mid.
Crisp is the most underrated player in the game.

He's just a star. So consistent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back