Review Round 12, Giants vs Kangaroos, Saturday 20th June, Spotless Stadium, 4.35pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Geez, I find myself agreeing with just about every Andre the Giant post in the last 24 hours! :D

Bye week really could have come a week earlier. This was just limping to it. The Saints game in round 14 will give us a better idea of where we are and if Mumford's absence takes us from top 4 to only top 8, or all the way to bottom four or six.

Geez, I find myself agreeing with just about every Andre the Giant post in the last 24 hours! :D

Bye week really could have come a week earlier. This was just limping to it. The Saints game in round 14 will give us a better idea of where we are and if Mumford's absence takes us from top 4 to only top 8, or all the way to bottom four or six.

The next game - Richmond at the MCG - will give us a better idea of where we're really at. North and Richmond are the sort of sides we need to be beat to be a real top 8 team.

We might have been a chance yesterday with a full strength team, but missing our top ruckman and two key defenders, we're obviously well off the pace.

We're really a game-to-game proposition at the moment.

Missed my first home game unfortunately. Will watch the replay with interest. You can't say we are no chance against Richmond. Sure, very long odds, but we have it in us. If the team returns to thniking respectable losses are acceptable, well then we are definitely no chance.

Oops, should've been "Saints in Round 15". Next home game. Richmond will probably be a flogging similar to NM. Both have much more mature bodies around the ball and that seems to be a weakness of younger midfields.

The next game - Richmond at the MCG - will give us a better idea of where we're really at. North and Richmond are the sort of sides we need to be beat to be a real top 8 team.

We might have been a chance yesterday with a full strength team, but missing our top ruckman and two key defenders, we're obviously well off the pace.

We're really a game-to-game proposition at the moment.
Something like this is said on this board just about every game I reckon.

Well that was better than what i was expecting. Which was a 100 point flogging, So thats an up, and with the weather leading through the week, injuries and losses i was expecting a lower crowd.
So all in all not as heart wrenching as i was expecting walking into the ground but after that 3rd quarter was hoping for more fight in the 4th.

Yup, this is where I am at also, it's hard to see us beating quality sides with no key defenders and developing rucks.
Our mids can only do so much, I didn't see a lack of effort last night, but by 3/4 time the guys were knackered.

I didn't see a lot of the game but the first two goals were because our midfield was asleep.. Our inability to kick straight at goal is not going to be fixed by a ruck or KPD either :(

On a brigther note Thumbs up to the North Melbourne Cheer squad at the back of the goals. Their support of the young blokes playing Auskick at that end of the ground was BRILLIANT. They were cheering all the kids when they made good plays. My young bloke made a great smother and followed it up with a tackle with brought a rousing cheer from the crowd. The smile on his face was absolutely priceless and it was all he could talk about on the way home. Thanks to all those supporters you won plenty of new friends for your club.

PS iI will post this on the north board as well.

At least we weren't at the 5 Seconds of Summer concert like simmofreo was...

Surely that's a worse way to spend a Saturday evening?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watched the game again and one area we really need to improve is our tackling.

Considering we have guys like Ward and now Steele who are hard as cats heads our team in general gets shaken off more tackles than any other team.

There was one yesterday with Haynes ( who is a star) catching Higgins and then dropping off a tackle which resulted in a goal.

Often our blokes get in the right position and then get shaken off. Some of it is fitness some of it is technique but it really needs focus.

Just need to watch the Swans and learn.

Just watched the game again and one area we really need to improve is our tackling.

Considering we have guys like Ward and now Steele who are hard as cats heads our team in general gets shaken off more tackles than any other team.

There was one yesterday with Haynes ( who is a star) catching Higgins and then dropping off a tackle which resulted in a goal.

Often our blokes get in the right position and then get shaken off. Some of it is fitness some of it is technique but it really needs focus.

Just need to watch the Swans and learn.
It is quite noticeable against teams like Norf with a signicant number of mature bodies. It is understandable to a degree, but agree it needs more focus. Remember too, many of these kids were the cream of their crop. Their size and strength against there junior peers probably meant tackles just stuck. They go from king of the sh@ts to sh@t of the kings. Won't be very long until the younger brigade have hardened up their bodies. No one wants to use the excuse of the Giants being such a young list etc, but the truth is we are still a couple of years away from our prime. Meantime, technique is where the focus needs to be.

I can echo what most people have been saying. Nice to at least have some hope at 3/4 time but the last qtr was disappointing. Petrie booted that lovely goal from 50 to show how it's done and take the wind out of it.

To me, the bad omen was when Waite kicked a couple of early goals. He may be important to their structure but he doesn't hit the scoreboard much these days.

It is quite noticeable against teams like Norf with a signicant number of mature bodies. It is understandable to a degree, but agree it needs more focus. Remember too, many of these kids were the cream of their crop. Their size and strength against there junior peers probably meant tackles just stuck. They go from king of the sh@ts to sh@t of the kings. Won't be very long until the younger brigade have hardened up their bodies. No one wants to use the excuse of the Giants being such a young list etc, but the truth is we are still a couple of years away from our prime. Meantime, technique is where the focus needs to be.

The body size difference has not been as noticeable this year, but was obviously an issue on Sat. We know Lobb was up against it from the outset, but i lost count of the number of times North came away with easy possessions as guys like Kelly and Whitfield were bodied out of contests. To their credit though, they never stopped trying.

On the flip side though, Steele and Marchbank both look a solid build for their ages and gave as good as they got. Marchbank looked like he struggled to adapt to the pace of afl footy and needs to build up a bit a tank, and Steele looked a little bit lost positionally at times, but give them a few games and another pre-season, and these two will be good'uns.

The body size difference has not been as noticeable this year, but was obviously an issue on Sat. We know Lobb was up against it from the outset, but i lost count of the number of times North came away with easy possessions as guys like Kelly and Whitfield were bodied out of contests. To their credit though, they never stopped trying.

On the flip side though, Steele and Marchbank both look a solid build for their ages and gave as good as they got. Marchbank looked like he struggled to adapt to the pace of afl footy and needs to build up a bit a tank, and Steele looked a little bit lost positionally at times, but give them a few games and another pre-season, and these two will be good'uns.
The other thing we missed today was the run of Scully. His run both ways is easy to take for granted. There were so many times the Roos got out from a pressure situation and I just kept expecting to him there going with the second or third receiver from their clearance.

Steele's huge. He looked significantly more built than Treloar and Shiel despite only just being drafted - almost a Ward clone in body type (and hair style). Could quickly become a favourite of mine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back