Review Round 12 - Gold Coast vs North Melbourne

TheSecondComing

Senior List
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Watch him get dropped next week.
It wouldn’t surprise me.
And if it was to happen Dew should be out the door.

Players like Brodie you just need to back in week in week out, let him build confidence at the top level.
He was never going to learn anything at neafl level, knowing every week your team will Get flogged and your body is just going to get smashed up for nothing.

He was best on ground for us tonight by a country mile.
He covered the ground like a 100 game player, had 4 inside 50s and 4 rebound 50s, 5 score involvement, 6 clearance, 27 pressure acts and 9 tackles

Last edited:

SnusCG

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
If anyone wondered why myself and so many others were frustrated at Brodie being overlooked so often, this game was why. =highest disposals for the team, most tackles for the team, =team high clearances, 10+ contested possessions and consistently clean at the contest.

As soon as he turned it on after a fairly slow Q1 (3 touches) we were competitive in the midfield again.

Should be the future of our midfield, and if he does leave for opportunity because we were playing Anthony Miles ahead of him (still just speculation at this point) I’ll lose a lot of faith in the club for doing so.

OB11

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 4, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
76ers
If anyone wondered why myself and so many others were frustrated at Brodie being overlooked so often, this game was why. =highest disposals for the team, most tackles for the team, =team high clearances, 10+ contested possessions and consistently clean at the contest.

As soon as he turned it on after a fairly slow Q1 (3 touches) we were competitive in the midfield again.

Should be the future of our midfield, and if he does leave for opportunity because we were playing Anthony Miles ahead of him (still just speculation at this point) I’ll lose a lot of faith in the club for doing so.

Lucky he is under contract for next year so it is the Sun's choice to make.

eighties

Team Captain
Jul 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Just home from the game. Geez it was the most unenjoyable game of football ive seen in a long time.

Over umpiring just killed the very little flow that was there...

King looks like he will be a player. Wright needs to be dropped, he was shocking..he doesn't know how to position himself and is so weak in the contest.

Did Ballard get reported tonight?

Murdoch, Miller, Burgess, Martin ( reported?) and Ballard ( reported?) could all miss next week. Getting very thin...

Joyce made some howlers tonight

Murdoch is bloody terrible.

Pretty over it, everyones injured again..... a fully fit list is just a pipedream, when will we ever be remotely close to it. Until we are, were cooked!

eppo67

Premiership Player
May 24, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
More talent in his little finger than most AFL players but has a pea for a heart.

That's why he is not a board with the Sun's new regime, has no vision and no ticker.
Yes very disappointed in him blatantly obvious he's not invested. Would take Darcy McPherson a 100 times over him. Very very disappointing.

Camsta

All Australian
May 12, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Only 3 out of 4 quarter effort again - just 1st quarter for a change.

If this was last year that would have blown out to 70+ so can’t fault the young kids effort - Powell, King, Lukosius, Brodie all earns their stripes today to not drop their bundle and pack it in.

I know I’m eternally optimistic, and there’s plenty here that have heard it all before (and I don’t blame you for your pessimism) but this is a genuine rebuild from the ground up with a bunch of kids (8 under 30 games) - gonna take some time to get the experience into them (vs a team with 5 x 200+ gamers)

For a team that was meant to be winless for the year we’re punching well above our weight - I’m proud of em.

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Left at half time as we had a baby with our group.
First quarter was an embarrassment. Reactive and second to the ball constantly.

Second quarter was better. Saw some of the 3rd some of the 4th on tv.

King great signs. Will be a 50 goal per year player - very confident of that. Hoping he can sing the song soon!

From the boundary line Brodie wasn’t noticeably impactful in the first half (goal aside) - I thought his opponent Cunnington clearly outplayed him but seems will had a great second half. Well done.

On the radio they were saying Ballard will get 2 weeks for the elbow on turner.

Midfield goals again this week good - Powell, swallow, Martin, Brodie, miles (should have been...)

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
I don't get the brodie hype, he has not won a single AFL games this year when he played, Give him three match presume he don't injure himself ( hamstring)

Last edited:

Stroppy

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Dubs
I expected this year to be a struggle, so no negative surprises yet. Only good ones. Fully expecting a desultory 10 goal loss but showed some resilience. And the good thing is that we have started well in most games so that 1st quarter debacle can be turned around.

Anybody who wants to drop off now, catch you on the other side. If you think things are hard now....

We have another couple of off-seasons left before we can think about having a good enough midfield group to outplay other teams midfields. And that is only if a couple of the mids on the list turn into genuine A graders. Cause they ain't there yet.

King looks like a player.
Luko showing some good signs (but not enough of them yet).

Brodie looked to be defending better, getting back quicker especially as the game wore on. (The evidence from 1.5 seasons is that not defending in the midfield is that #1 reason to get dropped by Stuey, and that had to be the reason he was not playing). This week had to stick with Cunnington which must have helped with that. Not a tag, but go where he goes. They did the same with Bowes earlier in the year, against Fyfe and Cripps. See if the coaches give him another job this week. Hope so, b/c he did a lot of good things this week. Fingers crossed he kicks on (and not out on the full).

Buckets Corbett, please hang on to a couple more contested marks and/or get better with the ground ball. Gets to the contest so often, does not do enough at the contest. If he can win a few more contests on the wing each week.......

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Critics or non Critics (brodie) , peoples just want to have their said or backup, played well yesterday non critics came out and criticised Dew, if he played badly VS St kilda critics come out and criticised Brodie so black and white thinking and predictable.

Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Rams, 76's, Brewers
He should be giving Brodie a huge wrap - he's the type we need and many suspect the treatment he received last year and this year, has made his mind up. We have half a year and next season to convince him to stay unless he asks for a transfer at season's end and that is a major indictment on Dew and Co.
What treatment was that?
Asked to run hard both ways & improve his disposal? Why should he be gifted games until he does what the match committee want?
Sier didn’t get a game at Collingwood for 3 years, Constable dropped at Geelong for the same reason, Hately dropped twice at GWS, Dom Sheed dropped last year.
Just because it’s the Suns we are supposed to gift games to those who need to work on their game?
These so called Brodie snipers have nothing personally against him. We want him to be a 10 year player! But when the fan club come in to this forum and sulk and whine about his treatment it gets boring. If he wants to leave because we want him to be a better player then that’s his poor attitude.
He was great after quarter time and a definite improvement on what he’s displayed previously for what it’s worth.

Sun Stormer

Mature Age Recruit
Jul 27, 2018
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
What treatment was that?
Asked to run hard both ways & improve his disposal? Why should he be gifted games until he does what the match committee want?
Sier didn’t get a game at Collingwood for 3 years, Constable dropped at Geelong for the same reason, Hately dropped twice at GWS, Dom Sheed dropped last year.
Just because it’s the Suns we are supposed to gift games to those who need to work on their game?
These so called Brodie snipers have nothing personally against him. We want him to be a 10 year player! But when the fan club come in to this forum and sulk and whine about his treatment it gets boring. If he wants to leave because we want him to be a better player then that’s his poor attitude.
He was great after quarter time and a definite improvement on what he’s displayed previously for what it’s worth.
Well let's agree to disagree and meet again early 2020 to see what lies ahead for the Suns - and I think we have plenty of other young players who are gifted games every week and still working on their game. I'd like to see Ah Chee get a game soon as well or he may also fly the coop back to WA.

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
I think it's fair to say at this point that Brodie is going to leave GC. If not this yeah, then it's next year. The best thing we can do now is play him as much as possible and hope he replicates games like last night, because it's going to up his value considerably. At the moment it's at an all time low.

With Bowes likely gone for the season it really sets him up.

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I find it amusing that a young player with just 14 games to his credit is such a polarising figure at our club.
I think that shows that all of our supporters despite what they’ve said or are currently saying, want Will to become the best player he can be for us and to stay.
We have lacked our own midfield bull since day dot, and a big midfielder to combat the Patrick Cripps, Josh Kennedys is something we’ve all been crying out for for years.
Will has already demonstrated he can get plenty of the pill and uses it well by hand in close. Disposal by foot is still a work in progress but he’s not alone in our team there. The nine tackles last night were awesome and his defensive running seems to be improving.
Really hoping the match committee give him an extended run. It’s not Will’s fault we’re losing. He seems to come into the side only when we’re down on personnel, which must make his job a hell of a lot harder.

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
I find it amusing that a young player with just 14 games to his credit is such a polarising figure at our club.
I think that shows that all of our supporters despite what they’ve said or are currently saying, want Will to become the best player he can be for us and to stay.
We have lacked our own midfield bull since day dot, and a big midfielder to combat the Patrick Cripps, Josh Kennedys is something we’ve all been crying out for for years.
Will has already demonstrated he can get plenty of the pill and uses it well by hand in close. Disposal by foot is still a work in progress but he’s not alone in our team there. The nine tackles last night were awesome and his defensive running seems to be improving.
Really hoping the match committee give him an extended run. It’s not Will’s fault we’re losing. He seems to come into the side only when we’re down on personnel, which must make his job a hell of a lot harder.
His two OOF kicks aside, I actually thought he used it by foot pretty well last night.

SunnerSS

GCSUNSCAST HOST
Sep 3, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Brodie hasn't shown this level in his game at NEAFL all season until last week when he actually took the game on and worked hard both ways. I said after his NEAFL game last week he has earnt his spot and combined with one of his main opponents for spots in the middle (bowes) being injured should now be a walk up start.

Miles needs to be in the side we have tried playing a squad full of kids and it taught them nothing. Senior players may look like they are gifted games but they earn them in more ways then one.

Also stats updated Brodie had 29 fiorini had 31.

robo_1

Premiership Player
Nov 11, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Anybody who wants to drop off now, catch you on the other side. If you think things are hard now....

We have another couple of off-seasons left before we can think about having a good enough midfield group to outplay other teams midfields.

It’s ok for the 5/7k of us rusted on fans to accept it but how long can the club continue to struggle with dwindling crowds casual fans dropping right off even last night comments on here of people leaving half time.. membership is up but they’ve also added a Townsville membership and pet membership so it’s hard to gauge..

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Normally I would be pretty fed up with all the negativity here on this forum but somehow this morning it actually entertained me. That’s what forums are for. People push their views despite having usually no knowledge what’s happening within the club. So go for if it gets you going.

I looked at the Lions forum, they have 7 wins and after the terrible loss to Blues there are so many melts and some even want to sack the coach! So nothing surprise me. By the way, Lions usually field a team 25 years plus old.

If Brodie plays like he did he will continue to get games despite ‘Dew does not like him’ (good one). Even according to crazy Rocket Brodie will take at least 3-4 years to develop. Main reason is that he was not able to play anywhere else other than inside and players need to build tank for the inside role. I was actually very happy with his urgency and running yesterday contrary to what he showed the previous games this year. But the view that because Brodie has a talent he got to get games otherwise he will leave is a joke. There are so many factors deciding selection which most of us has no knowledge - is he a team player, does he play his role, is he working hard off the field, did he learn to play other positions, does he follow plan etc. I go with the selection committee decision over any of uninformed views here every time.

We are building for future like it or not with a view towards 2022. No other option really. Our game plan stands up well once we mature. The last year we could sustain it for 1-2 quarters. This year usually for 3 quarters. That’s despite bad injury run again and way too young team profile. If people think we will be winning regularly with a team 23 years and 3-5 months old against 25-26 years old teams with double experience they are are not realistic. At the moment, only if everything goes right for us we get wins unfortunately.

Like with Ballard, Powell last year we are getting games into Corbett, Burgess, Lukosius, King. You can thank the selection committee in 1-2 years.

My only worry is that injuries will continue and we will not win any more games this year. This will set us back as it will have a negative impact on retention and attracting quality players to come in the off season. Winning changes everything.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Normally I would be pretty fed up with all the negativity here on this forum but somehow this morning it actually entertained me. That’s what forums are for. People push their views despite having usually no knowledge what’s happening within the club. So go for if it gets you going.

I looked at the Lions forum, they have 7 wins and after the terrible loss to Blues there are so many melts and some even want to sack the coach! So nothing surprise me. By the way, Lions usually field a team 25 years plus old.

If Brodie plays like he did he will continue to get games despite ‘Dew does not like him’ (good one). Even according to crazy Rocket Brodie will take at least 3-4 years to develop. Main reason is that he was not able to play anywhere else other than inside and players need to build tank for the inside role. I was actually very happy with his urgency and running yesterday contrary to what he showed the previous games this year. But the view that because Brodie has a talent he got to get games otherwise he will leave is a joke. There are so many factors deciding selection which most of us has no knowledge - is he a team player, does he play his role, is he working hard off the field, did he learn to play other positions, does he follow plan etc. I go with the selection committee decision over any of uninformed views here every time.

We are building for future like it or not with a view towards 2022. No other option really. Our game plan stands up well once we mature. The last year we could sustain it for 1-2 quarters. This year usually for 3 quarters. That’s despite bad injury run again and way too young team profile. If people think we will be winning regularly with a team 23 years and 3-5 months old against 25-26 years old teams with double experience they are are not realistic. At the moment, only if everything goes right for us we get wins unfortunately.

Like with Ballard, Powell last year we are getting games into Corbett, Burgess, Lukosius, King. You can thank the selection committee in 1-2 years.

My only worry is that injuries will continue and we will not win any more games this year. This will set us back as it will have a negative impact on retention and attracting quality players to come in the off season. Winning changes everything.
Agree 85 %, 15 % so so, the game plan is based on pressure and effort, you need to learn the basic like mark and Kick the ball, if you can't do that in NeafL level, players eventually get injured or burn out mentally early in their career. Every team want to be kicking side like hawthorn threepeat team but don't want to practise basic kicking, handball and marking skill in lower level league.

Back