Review Round 12 - Gold Coast vs North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Despite yesterday, we are still trending in the right direction IMO. Would have been nice to win but if you take out that first quarter disaster, we were quite competitive.

King looks like he will be a ripper. Lukosius looks like he is finding the level now.

I still reckon we finish we season with 5-6 wins, and that would be a good result for us.

Bullied in the middle which is the story of our season.

Brodie played some good footy as well. Will probably have the rest of the season in the 1's to stamp his authority as a starting mid for us, or at worst, drive up his price.

Just too many of our mids fumbled, Fiorini was a lot worse with his hands than usual. Darcy has been a revelation for us season though.

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
His two OOF kicks aside, I actually thought he used it by foot pretty well last night.

Kind of, took the safe kicks most times - which is the right thing to do if you don't have a Lachie Weller leg. Went sideways a fair bit but that is probably on our upfield structure more than him.

One kick into the 50 in the last quarter when he had time to put it to the advantage of the forwards that it just got hung up in the air. Will be good to re-watch that one in match review.

Overall - certainly a positive game. Hope he plays the rest of the year. He was way way way better than Anthony Miles last night.

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
It’s ok for the 5/7k of us rusted on fans to accept it but how long can the club continue to struggle with dwindling crowds casual fans dropping right off even last night comments on here of people leaving half time.. membership is up but they’ve also added a Townsville membership and pet membership so it’s hard to gauge..

I'm a first year member!
Haha, as I'm rarely on the coast have only been on my parents membership / GA tickets before.

Only 9.5k last night. Would have liked 12-13.

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
Kind of, took the safe kicks most times - which is the right thing to do if you don't have a Lachie Weller leg. Went sideways a fair bit but that is probably on our upfield structure more than him.

One kick into the 50 in the last quarter when he had time to put it to the advantage of the forwards that it just got hung up in the air. Will be good to re-watch that one in match review.

Overall - certainly a positive game. Hope he plays the rest of the year. He was way way way better than Anthony Miles last night.
But that's exactly it: most of the time he kicked by knowing his limitations. There is nothing wrong with short kicks or holding up possession. To me it really stood out.

Comparatively to a lot of our other players that just bomb up the line. I really don't mind short kicks if it means keeping possession for a small bit.

He can kick off his left too and hit up leading players as seen in the NEAFL. Excited by what he brings with more of a run at it.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
But that's exactly it: most of the time he kicked by knowing his limitations. There is nothing wrong with short kicks or holding up possession. To me it really stood out.

Comparatively to a lot of our other players that just bomb up the line. I really don't mind short kicks if it means keeping possession for a small bit.

He can kick off his left too and hit up leading players as seen in the NEAFL. Excited by what he brings with more of a run at it.
The problem is we all excited with Sexton early on and then........... Be patient judge him after three or four consecutive games. If he injured himself after two games like last season that mean he got fitness problem.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The problem is we all excited with Sexton early on and then..........
Sexton gets the best lockdown defender every game because opposition coaches know we have no other regular avenues to goal
It's hilarious that people call for him to be dropped when he's 9th in the Coleman

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Sexton is not getting dropped. One of our on field leaders.
A lot of his goals have come from reading the flight of the ball early and being able to get off his man, gather loose ball inside 50 and snap a goal.
He is obviously getting more attention now and needs to continue to develop other ways of scoring.

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
I have no idea how AFL determine their player ratings, but I imagine it's not too different from Champion Data?

D8mBIBCVUAAWKbd.png:large

Burgess had a career best game. Not sure I saw it save for a couple of marks and a ripping kick once. Again, not his fault. But he shouldn't be on the keys.

Also no huge surprise that Luko came to life when he was redeployed down back to replace Murdoch. Think he gets lost on the wing at the moment. Given his influence down there and ability to hit targets, will no doubt be in the frame to play down there next week.

Also bizarre that Corbett and Thomson can have lower games than Higgins who only played for a minute! But I guess that's what happens if you have 'negative' quarters.

Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Rams, 76's, Brewers
Sexton gets the best lockdown defender every game because opposition coaches know we have no other regular avenues to goal
It's hilarious that people call for him to be dropped when he's 9th in the Coleman
True. Although Lynch is 5th and you should see his board ripping him apart. :)

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I have no idea how AFL determine their player ratings, but I imagine it's not too different from Champion Data?

Burgess had a career best game. Not sure I saw it save for a couple of marks and a ripping kick once. Again, not his fault. But he shouldn't be on the keys.

Also no huge surprise that Luko came to life when he was redeployed down back to replace Murdoch. Think he gets lost on the wing at the moment. Given his influence down there and ability to hit targets, will no doubt be in the frame to play down there next week.

Also bizarre that Corbett and Thomson can have lower games than Higgins who only played for a minute! But I guess that's what happens if you have 'negative' quarters.
https://www.afl.com.au/stats/player-ratings/ratings-explained

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
I don't get how your take dropping Sexton as serious conversation, who come in, Dawson, Heron, Nutting? Fix NEAFL team winning ratio half the problem solve. Is suck when senior team win 3 matches in AFL and development team win 2 in Neafl,. Sydney university, NT, Redland, Southport, aspley Players all semi pro.

AFL gave two extra rookie A spot to cover injuries and yet GCS pick two 19 years old injuries prone players.(Sam fletcher and Riordan)

Last edited:

eppo67

Premiership Player
May 24, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I find it amusing that a young player with just 14 games to his credit is such a polarising figure at our club.
I think that shows that all of our supporters despite what they’ve said or are currently saying, want Will to become the best player he can be for us and to stay.
We have lacked our own midfield bull since day dot, and a big midfielder to combat the Patrick Cripps, Josh Kennedys is something we’ve all been crying out for for years.
Will has already demonstrated he can get plenty of the pill and uses it well by hand in close. Disposal by foot is still a work in progress but he’s not alone in our team there. The nine tackles last night were awesome and his defensive running seems to be improving.
Really hoping the match committee give him an extended run. It’s not Will’s fault we’re losing. He seems to come into the side only when we’re down on personnel, which must make his job a hell of a lot harder.
He's one of the first picked ATM. True story the Club love him.

eppo67

Premiership Player
May 24, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I'm a first year member!
Haha, as I'm rarely on the coast have only been on my parents membership / GA tickets before.

Only 9.5k last night. Would have liked 12-13.
North Melbourne are the lowest drawing crowds in Melbourne. That was an ok crowd really.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
North Melbourne are the lowest drawing crowds in Melbourne. That was an ok crowd really.
We had 12,779 attend the last NM vs. GC game at Metricon in 2017.
Only had 14-15k at Marvel in the last few years though.

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Sarcasm I dare say.
Cunnington was close to best on ground, but Brodie held his own.
Think as fans we should be happy with the performance.
Obviously coaching staff will have their own KPI's for him which we will not know - hopefully he ticked those as well.

Dew did have a bit of subverse messaging in his press conference I think. A bit of passive aggressive - this was a learning opportunity, see if he takes it on board style of talk, rather than actual praise.

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks

Lukosius final quarter was only one of 2 quarters with 10+ rating points.
He'd not cracked 10 rating points across an entire game before.

Negative quarters - GC 11, NM 7
Quarters > 5 ranking points - GC 8, NM 14

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
That makes way more sense

I like the way he goes about his business, Courageous little bugger.

I like the kid too but what's his role?
10 possesions 3 marks 4 tackles on the weekend about 14 , 4 and 2 average over the year
Presumably as a winger?
I'd buy those stats if you're kicking 2 goals a match or defending but I don't think he's either of those
Just feel he needs more pill
Supercoach points in free fall since his concussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back