Game Day Round 12, GWS Giants vs Sydney Swans, Sun 12th June, 4.40pm, Spotless Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

I think a big part of our win was that our youngsters are bigger and more experienced now. Sydney had four more 150+ game players out there, but only an average of 10 games more across the park so our 0-100 game brigade were making up about 400 games of experience over Sydney's.

Great game yesterday, well played from the get go and a great way to mark the 100th game. Our win yesterday makes up for our loss from round 3 IMO.

On Whiters, I watched in awe in the third when he made a run across the ground from wing to wing to be second target out of defence. Wasn't just a show of endurance, but break away pace. I thought I was watching Sculls for a moment.

He's taken his game to another level. The thing for me that sets him above the others is his sheer courage. He has no fear and even though he's still undersized he mans up and fights for everything.

He's like a rabid dog that's been starved for a week, he just wants whatever he can get!

His off season work is paying dividends as he's got more confidence to throw himself in. I think he put on 6-8 kgs and you can see the difference. Imagine in 2-3 years when he's fully developed...will be frighteningly good.

I reckon they've also worked on his explosion because whilst he was always tidy quick he now has that Dylan Shiel explosion which we actually require inside as quite a few of our mids lack that real dash.

I love him...he's just a jet.

Much as I would like to agree with you, I don't think such an absolute statement can be made. Recall how we overran the Swans in pre-season, and while we accepted it was only pre-season, it looked like we might have an edge over the Swans this year. Then we lost the first H&A game this year, on the back of being beaten in the inside contest. I'd just like to believe that the next 10 matches between us won't be 2-8.
Clearly the statement can be made cos I made it. I get it's a matter of opinion though, and yours is valid. I would never use a NAB cup game as a aignificant measure. The did beat us in round one fair and square. If they happen to beat us again , and I'm talking the life of our core group, then it will most likely be finals this year. Our guys still have to learn to play them and it will take some experience IMO.

I'm still wondering why it wasn't a free to Stevie J for being barrelled out of the contest by Buddy.
Shepherd within five metres of the ball. Give or take, of course.

Watching the replay of the game Griffen was much better than I thought live at the game
Good win for you guys. :thumbsu:

Griffen always has and always will cut us up. Even at the dogs he used to get 40 possession games against us. Don't know why, but the guy just runs riot against us. When i saw he was in before the game, i thought it was a bad omen for us.

Losing Tippo, Rohan (and for a large chunk, Mills) in the second half made it less fun (although i imagine you guys enjoyed it just fine :p), but i did like the first-half contest. Looking forward to the next one. :thumbsu:

Make the finals, and please, smash a few more Vics on the way, would you?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a fab day for the GWS boys on their 100th game..In the past, regular 100 point beatings, the Melbourne (Chicago, in pinstripe) media pack never took them seriously. Today they do. What a tough win against Sydney yesterday. The vibe in the rooms was just insane. It's been a real privilege to be able to observe this team grow over the past 100 games. Love the heart and soul that's been with the club way back in 2012. The absolute joy of the historic first win in Canberra and then last night..amazing stuff. Sam Reid what a story.The way the club stuck by with the General after some awful knee injuries. So many great stories and many more to come over the next 100 games. Enjoy the pics and report: http://newellmediagroup.com/wp/?p=1150

What a fab day for the GWS boys on their 100th game..In the past, regular 100 point beatings, the Melbourne (Chicago, in pinstripe) media pack never took them seriously. Today they do. What a tough win against Sydney yesterday. The vibe in the rooms was just insane. It's been a real privilege to be able to observe this team grow over the past 100 games. Love the heart and soul that's been with the club way back in 2012. The absolute joy of the historic first win in Canberra and then last night..amazing stuff. Sam Reid what a story.The way the club stuck by with the General after some awful knee injuries. So many great stories and many more to come over the next 100 games. Enjoy the pics and report: http://newellmediagroup.com/wp/?p=1150
Some great shots there. Would have been electric in the rooms straight after the game.

Cheers GTrag!..was massive.. love watching Phil Davis go off when he sings..and the grin on Stevie J's face.. priceless..you simply can't bottle it.. amazing stuff!!

General and isnamedthegiants with days off already? Did those guys try to post on the swans board? That trigger happy mod with the chip on his shoulder must be sookier than usual.
Nah

Just tried to help the main board stop the flooding of fear for the the next week and a few vfl freaks got to mashing.

Was given a day to think about the error of my ways

Bad General. Bad.

Hahaha has anyone else done the Sydney Derby survey which was emailed through? Asks for ratings 0-10 for getting in to the ground, quality of match, player effort, entertainment, fan experience etc. AND quality of umpiring.

Guess which one didn't get a 9 or 10 out of 10?

Hahaha has anyone else done the Sydney Derby survey which was emailed through? Asks for ratings 0-10 for getting in to the ground, quality of match, player effort, entertainment, fan experience etc. AND quality of umpiring.

:) I gave them an 8, tbh probably because I thought it was so much better than last week it wasn't funny

Razor didn't poll well, considering his three goal assists in the third quarter ;)

I also rated the music down. Don't yell "Go Swans" when the other mob is paying you.

Some stats and facts for the statistically and trivially minded....

• Its our 6th win in all four quarters 2012-16 and its first against a team placed in the top 4 at the time of the match.

• Its our 4th win in all 4 quarters this year. (We had none 2012-14 and two last year.)
  • Its our 5th win this year by 40 points or more.
  • Its our 10th win from its last 12 matches at the Sydney Showground 2015-16. (We won four of the previous 12.)
  • Our 8 wins and 4 losses with a percentage of 135.50% is the 2nd best best result for a team in its 5th season that joined the League after 1986.
    Best: West Coast 1991: 12 wins 0 losses 195.09%
    Third: Port Adelaide: 2001: 8 wins 4 losses 120.85%
  • Only the 3rd match that Sydney has lost in all 4 quarters in the last six seasons. Previous: Round 17 2015 vs West Coast and the 2014 Grand Final vs Hawthorn.

• The first match that Sydney has lost in all four quarters played in NSW since round 15 2009 vs Essendon at the SCG.

• It is Sydney's first loss by 40 points or more this year and only its 7th in its last 111 matches 2012-16.
  • It's Sydney's lowest score this year. Previous: 10.9-69 vs Hawthorn in round 9

Some stats and facts for the statistically and trivially minded....

• Its our 6th win in all four quarters 2012-16 and its first against a team placed in the top 4 at the time of the match.

• Its our 4th win in all 4 quarters this year. (We had none 2012-14 and two last year.)
  • Its our 5th win this year by 40 points or more.
  • Its our 10th win from its last 12 matches at the Sydney Showground 2015-16. (We won four of the previous 12.)
  • Our 8 wins and 4 losses with a percentage of 135.50% is the 2nd best best result for a team in its 5th season that joined the League after 1986.
    Best: West Coast 1991: 12 wins 0 losses 195.09%
    Third: Port Adelaide: 2001: 8 wins 4 losses 120.85%
  • Only the 3rd match that Sydney has lost in all 4 quarters in the last six seasons. Previous: Round 17 2015 vs West Coast and the 2014 Grand Final vs Hawthorn.

• The first match that Sydney has lost in all four quarters played in NSW since round 15 2009 vs Essendon at the SCG.

• It is Sydney's first loss by 40 points or more this year and only its 7th in its last 111 matches 2012-16.
  • It's Sydney's lowest score this year. Previous: 10.9-69 vs Hawthorn in round 9
I posted on the main board essentially that we have seen a changing of the guard and they wont beat us for a long time now. Swans supporters really didn't like it for some reason! I beleive it's true though and time will tell.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back