31. Z. Reid, 30. B. Zerk-Thatcher, 75. M. Simpson
HB: 8. M. Gleeson, 32. J. Eyre, 52. J. Hickman
C: 53. S. Conforti, 60. J. Atley, 42. S. Durham
HF: 49. T. Hird, 54. D. Thompson, 36. L. Johnson
F: 28. N. Cahill, 41. C. McBride, 55. D. Younan
R: 24. N. Bryan, 63. N. O'Kearney, 11. D. Zaharakis
Inter: 37. D. Clarke, 77. K. Dunkley, 61. S. Graham, 78. J. Smithson

Emerg: 67. K. Brown, 58. J. Hobbs

Geelong to pretty well belt us here as well I suspect.

Sorry for the late thread. Here are the teams:

GEELONG
B:
43. S. Okunbor, 48. A. Black, 21. N. Stevens
HB: 16. S. De Koning, 39. Z. Guthrie, 15. N. Kreuger
C: 9. M. Holmes, 20. O. Brownless, 66. J. Thurlow
HF: 31. F. Evans, 10. B. Jarvis, 55. L. Smith
F: 52. J. McLachlan, 11. J. Jenkins, 33. S. Neale
R: 28. D. Fort, 18. C. Constable, 58. D. Lang
Inter: 57. J. Chalcraft, 74. J. Gow, 17. E. Ratugolea, 41. C Taheny

Emerg: 59. N. Harris, 71. J. Johnston, 54. O. Tate, 78. I. Wareham

*AFL emergencies underlined

ESSENDON
B:
31. Z. Reid, 30. B. Zerk-Thatcher, 75. M. Simpson
HB: 8. M. Gleeson, 32. J. Eyre, 52. J. Hickman
C: 53. S. Conforti, 60. J. Atley, 42. S. Durham
HF: 49. T. Hird, 54. D. Thompson, 36. L. Johnson
F: 28. N. Cahill, 41. C. McBride, 55. D. Younan
R: 24. N. Bryan, 63. N. O'Kearney, 11. D. Zaharakis
Inter: 37. D. Clarke, 77. K. Dunkley, 61. S. Graham, 78. J. Smithson

Emerg: 67. K. Brown, 58. J. Hobbs

Geelong to pretty well belt us here as well I suspect.
Dylan Clarke on the bench 👀

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First time I've looked at Hird. Tough game to judge at half forward but seems to know how to use his body in a contest. Encouraging given how small he is compared to his opponent.

He's playing probably the worst role you could be given in a team that's getting smashed, very tough to judge. Looks like he needs to put on size though, very small even for VFL standards

Cats were a bigger and stronger side. More professional and skilled and the Essendon side never really got close. Smithson who has been a good player in recent weeks went off early, didn’t help. Geelong had a lot of AFL listed players around the football and it showed throughout the game. Rain came down half way through that made conditions quite slippery.

Final Score:

Geel 16 6 102

Ess 3 9 27

5. Okearney (VFL listed – 33 touches) was best on. Hmmm after this it gets harder… I’ll try and choose some EFC listed players (hard to put them in order)

4. Clarke (24 disp): Finished with quite a few touches and worked his way into the game after a quiet 1st quarter. Maybe it’s my eyes, but his kicking looks a lot more fluent than I remember it. Had a good 2nd quarter and kept trying.

3. BZT (20 disp): played OK. I think he had some bad turnovers while Kayo was busy crapping itself. Nice play in the last quarter to push Jenkins off the ball in a 1 on 1 race, wins the ball then misses a handball that resulted in a turnover. Looks better when he is taking the easy options. Needs to understand what his passing limits are and stay within them. Looks to be a good player and can intercept and defend well. His teammates need to work hard to give him an easy option.

2. Bryan (17 disp) : Great tap work, and can become an extra midfielder around the ground. Is surprisingly good below the knees. Kicked a good goal in the 3rd, by roving!

1. Durham (18 disp): didn’t stop trying and applying good pressure. A bit like a thinking man’s Nick Kommer.

Reid (17 disp): good developing game from him.

Gleeson (18 disp): you know what you’re going to get. Always competes and does what he can. He is there to be overtaken, but unfortunately too many find this feat too hard to do.

Hird (10 disp): started well, but went quiet as the game wore on.

Johnson (12 disp): looks to be playing more forward than midfield. Is getting more of the ball playing forward than when he was playing midfield.

Eyre (11 disp): Very quiet. Wet conditions didn’t really suit. Playing in defence and a bit forward.

Cahill (11 disp) kicked a goal, but was otherwise quiet. Looks a better player when playing forward.

Zaharakis: Didn’t look like he wanted to be there. Similar impact on the game to last week when he was the medical sub. Highlight of the day, took the mark was 60m out, commentators said he was a chance, has a ‘thumping boot’ on him. Zakka kicks the ball barely 30m.

Irish: got a heavy knock in the 4th. Did come back on in the last 15 minutes.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back