Preview Round 12: St Kilda vs Essendon, Woolloongabba, Sunday 16/08/2020 @ 3:35 PM AEST

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bring in some kids. Who cares anymore. I genuinely had a better time watching Essendon games when our entire team was suspended than what we've seen this year. At least back then I had some hope for the future of the club.
Parish running through the middle
Daniher building
Merrett's leadership
Fantasia becoming a forward
Picking up McGrath and Ridley

4 years wasted since.
stalled development, imbalanced list, injuries and a whole lot of dumb, effortless, bruise free football that we're happy to pat ourselves on the back for.

Think it will be;-

OUT: Zakka, Cutler, McKernan, Bellcho
IN: Hooker, Hurley, Draper, Phillips

Team:

Zerk Hurley Francis
Redman Ridley Saad
Smith Shiel Parish
McKenna Langford Snelling
Stewart Hooker Tippa

Draper McGrath Merrett

Clarke Guelfi Gleeson Phillips

If we can win this and get Fanta, Stringer and Joe back over the next couple of weeks we can still make finals

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Was fairly confident against GC - zero confidence for this one.

People wonder why we a) scrape over the line against rubbish sides and b) fail to smash teams when we have them down. The answer's the same and it's not because we lack some ruthless edge, or Stringer, Heppell, Fantasia and Daniher (etc) are out - it's because we aren't very good.

Every week we play patches of bottom 4 quality football. Football that allows good sides to score multiple goals in a row and finish us. The Saints are a level below the very best but they need this one and will put us away comfortably - Saints by 30 plus.
100%

Too important a game to rest anyone and we get nearly a weeks break after this.

Going with tall forward line with Hooker, Smack and Stewart. Langford back in the mid even though I’d prefer him as a forward. Smack stays in because we need a second ruck and he’s a better option than Phillips

In Draper, Hooker, Hurley, Ham,
Out TBC, Zaka, Cutler, Gleeson,

Too important a game to rest anyone and we get nearly a weeks break after this.

Going with tall forward line with Hooker, Smack and Stewart. Langford back in the mid even though I’d prefer him as a forward. Smack stays in because we need a second ruck and he’s a better option than Phillips

In Draper, Hooker, Hurley, Ham,
Out TBC, Zaka, Cutler, Gleeson,
I think this will be it but I reckon TBC and Cutler could survive

I think this will be it but I reckon TBC and Cutler could survive
TBC went for scans I thought I’d heard

Cutler went off to a ticker scan and they found nothing

Think it will be;-

OUT: Zakka, Cutler, McKernan, Bellcho
IN: Hooker, Hurley, Draper, Phillips

Team:

Zerk Hurley Francis
Redman Ridley Saad
Smith Shiel Parish
McKenna Langford Snelling
Stewart Hooker Tippa

Draper McGrath Merrett

Clarke Guelfi Gleeson Phillips

If we can win this and get Fanta, Stringer and Joe back over the next couple of weeks we can still make finals

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not enough height coming in for my liking.

FUN THINGS:
- it'll be fun to see Marshall & Draper go head to head.
- It'll be fun to watch Ridley.
- It'll be fun to watch Mckenna go for a gallop through the middle

NOT SO FUN THINGS
- Watching our dysfunctional forward line & Cutler adding nothing on the wing.
- Watching Butler kick 4-12 goals depending on when we decide to pay him any respect
- Ryder having a day out* (if he plays*)
- The umpires absolutely butcher the game & everything we love about it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He isn't a lock-down small defender. He was lucky Rankine was inexperienced. The last mark he conceded to Rankine nearly cost us the game. If that was Papley, he'd have kicked 6 goals on him.

Butler is more experienced than Rankine
Here's the stuff we know about Guelfi:

As a forward: Poor kick both for goal and in general play, good pressure game.
As a midfielder: Doesn't find a lot of the ball and is a poor user when he does get it.
As a defender: Can't kick, doesn't get enough of the ball, average overhead.

We're shoehorning into one of two roles his skillset will allow, a lockdown small or a pressure forward. If we choose to play him in defence, he has to play that role because there is no viable alternative that someone else can't play.

Hopefully we can dump him back home at the end of the year.

As a midfielder: Doesn't find a lot of the ball and is a poor user when he does get it.

We're shoehorning into one of two roles his skillset will allow, a lockdown small or a pressure forward. If we choose to play him in defence, he has to play that role because there is no viable alternative that someone else can't play.

Sounds like he isn’t very good at making the bed either. Guelfi Senior doesn’t want him back, that much is clear.

He can kick for goal within reasonable distance (within 35-40). First qtr aga Suns our kicking out of defence hurt us badly, don’t think Guelfi was main offender either. He’s also not bad at overhead marking.

Rankine will no doubt be a star but the hysteria is over the top, didn’t think he hurt us but every time he got the ball commentators and social media went on as if Pele had made a comeback.

I like that these two posts were back to back.
;)
Sounds like he isn’t very good at making the bed either. Guelfi Senior doesn’t want him back, that much is clear.
Neither am I actually.
He can kick for goal within reasonable distance (within 35-40). First qtr aga Suns our kicking out of defence hurt us badly, don’t think Guelfi was main offender either. He’s also not bad at overhead marking.

Rankine will no doubt be a star but the hysteria is over the top, didn’t think he hurt us but every time he got the ball commentators and social media went on as if Pele had made a comeback.
He's kicked 8.8 in his career and quite a few of those behinds were very gettable for an AFL level player.

Rankine was the only small forward to look like any chance of doing anything for either side for most of the game. Ainsworth was poor apart from being right place right time in the goalsquare where we ****ed it up, Flanders and Lemmens were basically passengers. As for us, Zaka only had 3 minutes of good football, which were vital, but quiet for most of the game whilst Walla and McKenna were inconsistent at best.
Who's got the legs and lungs to go with Butler? Not sure anyone has.
Saad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back