Game Day Round 12 v Sydney @ MCG 7:25pm

Remove this Banner Ad

lol, nice attempt to turn this around onto me. I called it all correctly, all season long. The margins have papered over the cracks. I saw the weaknesses 6-8 weeks ago. it should've been obvious against North and WCE. But for whatever reason people needed to see it in losses to see it.

I pat myself on the back and move on.

I'd like to see a new starting 3 midfield. Gawn, Clarry, L.Jackson and Viney or Gawn, Clarry, ANB and A.Brayshaw. It may not work but change something up for heavens sake. Actually, probably not move Brayshaw. Maybe Salem can go to a wing or a half forward too so we can start hitting targets in the forward line.
Brayshaw in career best form so we should move him?

Jackson out of form so let's double down with extra midfield time?

ANB fine where he is but let's move him eh.

Salem to the wing when both Langdon and Jordan doing great. Yeah, that sounds good.

Keep patting your back, good on you. Still missing the point. Congested possession down, defence holding up well with soldiers out, poor forward connection (our DNA Goody calls it). Until we fix this, we aren't getting better.

We are playing poorly. Good call on that. Bad call on the specifics.

I saw Dees have lost 10 of the last 12 to the Swans. Dunno if that's true but it's canon in my head.
Feel like a bit like "bogey" team anyway.

We looked cooked. Pies a really good chance but we came out of the bye sloppy last year too so no panic stations just yet.

Brayshaw in career best form so we should move him?

Jackson out of form so let's double down with extra midfield time?

ANB fine where he is but let's move him eh.

Salem to the wing when both Langdon and Jordan doing great. Yeah, that sounds good.

Keep patting your back, good on you. Still missing the point. Congested possession down, defence holding up well with soldiers out, poor forward connection (our DNA Goody calls it). Until we fix this, we aren't getting better.

We are playing poorly. Good call on that. Bad call on the specifics.
Did you read my post. I said probably not move Brayshaw...?

So you're not going to acknowledge my Ben Brown call? I think I deserve a bit of credit for that. It was against the grain. Or when I had half the forum breathing fire on me after I said that we're playing horrible footy after playing awful against north and WCE and everyone just quoted the margins at me?

We played well against the dogs, rich, gws, the first half against stkilda and port. We played poorly against Ess, Hawks, Gold Coast, North, WCE, Syd and Frem.

Even when I mentioned that we should've beaten WCE and North by 100+, people just quoted that our % is at 160. 2 weeks later our % is now straight back in contention.

Basically, people are outraged now. But I feel that they should have felt that 1-2 months ago.

Anyway, we're getting off topic. I agree that congested possessions, poor forward 50m connection and our DNA in general is almost unrecognisable. I don't think the defenders are doing well without May though. We bled goals against Frem and Sydney had plenty of shots on goal tonight and looked super scary in the air and on he ground. I can't wait for Hibberd to come in. An actual defender that defends.

I feel the free to Papley was there, sloppy by lingers. If he keeps running normally he probably wins one for taking the legs.

In any case, we were very sloppy after QTR time. We've gotten too used to playing one good quarter and grinding out a win. Can't do that against good sides.
I’ve never seen papley ever deserve a free kick, this one included

M Browns's kick to Fritsch was the perfect example of what we are not doing enough of.
Our forward line is getting congested and we end up kicking to a pack mark situation.
We need to figure out a solution to this or teams will continue to do that same thing to us.
I think this is where our game plan is so predictable that teams are able to set up for it so easily. There isn’t any “chaos” in our game at the moment, it is so very rules based. I nearly spat my beer out when Bowey took a kick in and hit a target on the 50 arc at a 70 degree angle.

Freo and now Swans have successfully stopped us transitioning out of defence when we bomb to marking talls camped there. Ben brown and TMac not taking F50 marks and not kicking as many crumb goals speaks to teams putting in counter measures.

Ultimately, I don’t think we are at our best. Our best football stacks up for prelim finals and beyond. But our work rate and intensity isn’t a competitive advantage at the moment. Where has our manic pressure and clean spread from stoppage gone? I can’t remember the last time we swarmed an opposition into making bulk turnovers. Maybe a qtr during the St.Kilda game? It had better be a mid season/mid winter lull.

We are good enough to go back to back this year but it won’t be given to us. The game plan stacks up, but it requires more of our stars to work harder and longer than they currently are.

Last edited:
I've been holding back posting tonight because I am so filthy and new to this forum but here it goes..

Jayden Hunt - piss off, he's absolutely useless and should never play in the team again
Kozi Pickett - needs to realise you can't just come to play when we are on top, he needs to step up when the chips are down.
Lever - clearly underdone and out form, May being out isn't helping and the bye can't come enough sooner for him
Trac - definitely carrying something and the bye can't come soon enough
Jackson - needs to stop reading the papers and play some footy
Ben Brown - he can piss off, he hasn't kicked a goal in 3 games of footy and offers nothing defensively.

I am not an expert by any means but to me the solutions are obvious:

When Steve May is back move him into the forward line, he played all his junior footy as a forward and we have options to replace him. Our forward line is the issue and May could be the fix. Either drop Ben Brown or move him into the backline, yes it sounds crazy but when Liam Jones moved to the backline for Carlton people were saying the same thing. If we switch it up a little bit we will be unpredictable in the back half of the season and with a little luck trac will get fit and firing and we will finally gel together.

Cold night last to be at the game and the long walk back to richmond station. This is my take.

STRATEGY:
We have been figured out and our style of play has been dismantled. Specifically Wing to Half forward Synergy totally cut off with Oppositions (Past month including West coast, North) Intercepting marking at will across the line. There is no forward opportunities that seem accustomed to what we are actually aiming to do. We kick long when we should go short and vice versa. Teams know our pressure acts are down and simply line up your intercept marking and you get a fresh reload, pick a wing and you can short kick away your build up offence.

I think its mainly tactical how we are struggling.

Jacko has been pox for weeks. Gawn working overtime with little support.
Jacko plays medium-small very well, most times. But he has to start to step-up, in the big man part of AFL footy.

He has to start to take more contested marks against big opponents; and learn the art of using is body in pack situations.
He does it sometimes, but nowhere near often enough.

He has to apply this playing tall logic, both thru the midfield and thru playing deep forward, to help our double/tripple teamed struggling tall forwards.

He has to improve as a genuine ruckman/forward-pocket type, of the old.... a modern day Bob Johnston.

Me too, but Weid has not taken his chances. So, we need to adjust how we move it into the forward line to best suite the players were have there.

It's not rocket science so why aren't we doing something about it????
Weide played really well yesterday. He needs to get to the point of believing that he belongs.

He is playing, mentally like a Sheep, rather than a Bull. IMO, he is following what others say about him, rather than going out to play it "His Way".

Being pacifistic, rather than being aggressive... it shows in his body language. Everyone can see it. It's what makes the supporters so negative about him.
The supporters lack trust in him, because he doesn't trust himself.

It seems now like TMc is going to be missing for a bit... So now is the time to bring in Weide to play as Full Forward... give BBB a spell to consider his pacifism as well.
Weide will offer more agility around the front half, and help defencively, more than BBB will.

I think I'd rather see Jackson playing more time up forward, next week. Hopefully alongside Weide, and both being really mobile, as tall's in our front half.
And for Christ sake's, be aggressive you guys. Crash packs like you Fffffing mean it.

Drop BBB and keep MBrown in.

Start Jackson in his customary position 'on-paper'. But to play deeper.

With MBrown at CHF, and playing the mobile-tall role high, and roaming. I see him sometimes overtaking the play, getting goal-side, out the back if you will, when the ball and play is around our CHF.
He has to do a big running game.

Keep the pies defence guessing, and on the hop.

Last edited:
I saw Dees have lost 10 of the last 12 to the Swans. Dunno if that's true but it's canon in my head.
Feel like a bit like "bogey" team anyway.

We looked cooked. Pies a really good chance but we came out of the bye sloppy last year too so no panic stations just yet.
Imv, getting out-bodied too often by them, around the stoppages. I think they match-up well against us, as long as they can stop us dominating the air.

I think they are very strong at ground level. Swannies. Nrl heartland types. Strong over their feet, stick tackles, and work they're Rrrses off.

I don't think the defenders are doing well without May though. We bled goals against Frem and Sydney had plenty of shots on goal tonight and looked super scary in the air and on he ground. I can't wait for Hibberd to come in. An actual defender that defends.
It looks to me like our defence, when we have the footy, is getting very high up the field. With turnovers happening in our front-half, regularly, and our defence playing up high; the opposition get out the back on us, far more easily, to a fairly open back half, of ours.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back