Review Round 13 – North Melbourne vs GWS Giants, Sun 16th June, Blundstone Oval, 3.20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Two guys that I reckon deserve some praise are Jacob Hopper and Harry Perryman who I think are just about our most improved players this year.

Hops has really had to step up his game in the absence of Shiel and Ward and has really relished his place as one of our premier inside mids. He is a contested bull and is not afraid to put his head in the hole. Whilst he is not agile he is seemingly quicker this year and is just so valuable with his fearless approach, loving his game.

Perryman is an interesting one, he is not agile and is not an obvious star but he is just such a natural footballer. There a few blokes I would have above him in tight situations with limited time. He uses the ball by hand and foot very well and has a touch of class. He seems to have a good tank and now that he is getting stronger physically he is really turning into an important player, I like where he is tracking, his ceiling is very high.

Great to get the 4 points in what was a danger game and it was a very tough game and good to see the players tackle hard and go pretty much to the end and with 11 days to the next game hopefully a few fast recoveries for the players
Even spread of contributors with Kelly the stand out due to his ball use but the defensive efforts of Taranto and Hopper make the midfield unit so much stronger when they are on
Greene back in goal kicking form is exciting and he will be key in the back half of the year and in finals
Plenty of others deserve mentions
Solid debut for Stein
Deledio impacting the game and class and I think that he can still has a bit more to improve he just needs to trust his body more
Perryman more accustomed to the speed of the game and his decision making has improved
Maybe Mumfords best game of the year
Great game for Davis in defence and with the Roos talls he had to be at the top of his game

Firstly, I have to say that while this board is still quiet in terms of posts, the quality of posts more than makes up for that. Genuine football knowledge and great insights and thoughts, always enjoy reading peoples recaps and thoughts before, during and after games. Some great posts on here following the game.

Honestly feel like this is one of the more underrated wins for the club. Halfway through the third I was almost preparing myself for another disappointing loss but what a response. It was a tough, scrappy, extremely physical affair at a ground that is relatively unfamiliar to the group against a side in great form. I thought the way the boys lifted in that third, and fourth quarter was massive. Huge win.

Stein's game is going under the radar, because I thought he was terrific. He killed so many contests, interrupted so many marking attempts, and ended up with 8 tackles. He looked totally at home, such an impressive debut and more than I expected.

Loved Hopper's game, and I'm always one who's a tad critical of him, but he was huge. 17 contested possessions, 8 score involvements, 8 tackles and 8 clearances, those are elite numbers. I've always been suspect of Taranto's ball use but I thought he was excellent. His work rate really does stand out, always working and pushing up and down the ground. Becoming a real goalkicking mid this year.

Deledio all class, really critical that he stays fit because he brings a different element. Some of his stuff might look routine but it's because he's so skilled; most of the comp couldn't pull off some of what he does. Actually really liked Buntine's game too. Will probably always be a depth player but such a competitior who'll always give 100%, you need blokes like him. Some of his intercept marking, particularly early, was fantastic.

All in all, so many positives to take from this one. Greene a big one, he starts getting fit and confidence in his body and look out. And Williams for me is just about AA, having a ripper season.

Hey. Is the Zeibel hit on Toby in the opening seconds just being overlooked.

Hey. Is the Zeibel hit on Toby in the opening seconds just being overlooked.

No, it was examined but insufficient high force:

Contact between North Melbourne’s Jack Ziebell and GWS GIANTS’ Toby Greene from the first quarter of Sunday’s match was assessed. The ball is loose. Greene and Ziebell approach the ball from opposite directions. Ziebell elects to bump Greene making contact which is predominantly to the body. It was the view of the MRO there was insufficient forceful high contact to constitute a reportable offence. No further action was taken.

Same for the Brown hit (which I actually agree with - thought it was a very soft report, should've just been a free):

The match day report laid against North Melbourne’s Ben Brown for contact on GWS GIANTS’ Matt Buntine from the second quarter of Sunday’s match was assessed. Buntine takes possession of the football in the backline for GWS. Brown moves towards Buntine and makes high contact. It was the view of the MRO there was insufficient force to constitute a reportable offence. No further action was taken.

FYI all MRP decisions are documented at https://www.afl.com.au/news/tribunal.

No, it was examined but insufficient high force:

Contact between North Melbourne’s Jack Ziebell and GWS GIANTS’ Toby Greene from the first quarter of Sunday’s match was assessed. The ball is loose. Greene and Ziebell approach the ball from opposite directions. Ziebell elects to bump Greene making contact which is predominantly to the body. It was the view of the MRO there was insufficient forceful high contact to constitute a reportable offence. No further action was taken.

Same for the Brown hit (which I actually agree with - thought it was a very soft report, should've just been a free):

The match day report laid against North Melbourne’s Ben Brown for contact on GWS GIANTS’ Matt Buntine from the second quarter of Sunday’s match was assessed. Buntine takes possession of the football in the backline for GWS. Brown moves towards Buntine and makes high contact. It was the view of the MRO there was insufficient force to constitute a reportable offence. No further action was taken.

FYI all MRP decisions are documented at https://www.afl.com.au/news/tribunal.
Thanks for clarifying :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back