Review Round 13 – North Melbourne vs GWS Giants, Sun 16th June, Blundstone Oval, 3.20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
1560608249904.png

Where and when: Blundstone Arena, Sunday June 16, 3.20pm AEST

TV, radio and online: Click here for broadcast guide

What it means for North Melbourne: The Roos are one of only four sides – Geelong, Fremantle and Adelaide are the others – on a multiple-match winning streak. Beat the Giants and an unlikely finals berth is suddenly very realistic.

What it means for GWS: Another chance to prove it can perform on the road. The Giants are 5-0 at home, but 3-4 interstate. North's a strong performer at its home away from home in Hobart, so a GWS victory would be impressive.

The stat: The Kangaroos rank No.1 in points for, points from intercepts, inside 50 differential and time in forward half differential across the past three weeks.

The match-up: Matt De Boer v Ben Cunnington

Cunnington (No.8 in the AFL Player Ratings) is arguably the competition's most in-form midfielder and sits third in the AFL Coaches' Association votes. Waiting for him on Sunday will undoubtedly be the game's best tagger, Giant De Boer (No.156).

It's a big week for: Heath and Rhyce Shaw

The Shaw family rivalry adds a new chapter in this game, when GWS defender Heath faces off with North's caretaker coach Rhyce. The former Collingwood teammates spoke multiple times during the week and will both be desperate to get one up on the other.

Big call: Robbie Tarrant keeps Coleman Medal frontrunner Jeremy Cameron goalless but GWS still prevails

Prediction: Giants by 18 points

Land of the Giants Preview

Another loss on the road to a team we should have beat.

It’s getting a bit hard to justify our lofty ladder position, to be honest (we'll probably be third after the Pies-Demons game tomorrow - and thanks, Big Brother, for knocking off the Eagles today - you're not so bad after all ;)).

But there have been whispers for some time that we’re not very good at handling pressure. Typical flat track bullies. A few people have their doubts about our premiership credentials, and yesterday in Adelaide showed why.

Those whispers will become raised voices if we cannot beat North Melbourne next Sunday in Hobart. Frankly, after last night, I’m surprised the bookies still have us as favourites for the game. North are on a roll at the moment, winning their last three, and our record against them is pretty poor anyway, regardless of where we play. They seem to match up well on us and they really like playing in Hobart.

We need more consistency and commitment over four quarters. We lost the contested possessions, inside 50s and tackle count against the Crows; either we weren't that hungry or their pressure was putting us off, probably a bit of both. We seem to switch off far too often; last night was essentially lost in the first and last quarter. The last quarter against the Demons a few weeks ago is another example of it.

It looks like we’ll be without Nick Haynes next week, which is a real blow, because he is always so dependable down back. Hopefully that ankle injury is nothing serious. From the sound of things Toby will return, but he seems a shadow of his former self, and has for some time. We don't really have any replacements for either of them and won't until the week after the bye.

It's all a bit concerning, but there is a bright side. At least Justin Powers won’t be umpiring this time…I hope.

Come on Giants. Lift your game and silence the doubters.

Last edited by a moderator:

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
We'll win 88-66

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I reckon there'll be another 20 or so points for each side, but that winning margin will be around that mark.

North will look to bring some serious physical heat to the game, but I expect the Giants class to determine the outcome. Kelly, Coniglio, Taranto and Hopper's class combined with De Boer's negating capacity will be too much for us to overcome.

Congrats to young Taranto on his 50th. You have uncovered another gun.

Giants by 18.

Hately, Lloyd and Langdon played in the NEAFL yesterday

Surely we bring one of them to travel to Tasmania if Greene was a possible out?
Anyone spot who the travelling emerg is?
Shipley has been banging on the door again and Simpson for Mummy always seems possible till the 11th hour

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Did Simpson play NEAFL?

Mumford looked seriously restricted last week, however I could see the tactical reason for playing him to help counter the grunt North gets from Cunnington, Ziebell and Anderson.
I honestly dont remember seeing him the bits I watched on youtube

Trying to look up details

Yep he did.

Damn.

Sep 8, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GWS
I think we win, but I feel not having Haynes will hurt. His intercept marking is so important.

My prediction is we do our usual crappy 1st quarter mistakes and be down by 4 goals in the first 10 mins. Then claw back to win between 15 and 25 points I reckon.

How is the weather looking

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I honestly dont remember seeing him the bits I watched on youtube

Trying to look up details

Yep he did.

Damn.

Cheers. Looks like they are going with Mummy's grunt. I expect Goldstein to really get on his bike & run him around today.

It will be interesting to see how that pans out if the scores are close later in the game.

Weather report from one of our Hobart folks this morning was cold, but clear and no wind.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
I think we win, but I feel not having Haynes will hurt. His intercept marking is so important.

My prediction is we do our usual crappy 1st quarter mistakes and be down by 4 goals in the first 10 mins. Then claw back to win between 15 and 25 points I reckon.

Looks alright

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
I'd assume with all the emergencies playing NEAFL yesterday, that the club is pretty sure everyone named for first grade will play. I would still have thought someone would have to travel as an emergency - presumably someone flew down after yesterday's game? But everyone seemed to have a full game. Can't see the hitouts on the NEAFL app, but Simpson shows as having 8 disposals, so played at least part of the game. Puzzling.

This is a game that GWS - no offence to Norths - needs to win if we are a true contender this year. We can offer all the excuses under the sun, but in the end we either get it done with the players on the field, or we fall short and it's a problem.

Let's go GIANTS!

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Congrats to Jake Stein on your debut - hopefully it's memorable (for the right reasons!), and also congrats to Tim Taranto on your 50th game - what a fantastic journey you've had in orange & charcoal: may you play a ripper today and have many more for GWS.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back