Preview Round 13 – West Coast Eagles vs GWS Giants, Sunday 23rd August 2020, Optus Stadium, 6.10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
It’s just unacceptable, to be honest.

Thursday night was, without doubt, one of the club’s top three “Hall of Shame” performances. Round 7 against the Cats in 2018, and Round 21 last year against the Hawks would be the other main contenders.

Fingers are pointing everywhere, but given the talent we have available, and the fact this sort of thing keeps happening, indicates there’s an absence of authority somewhere.

Why does this team often appear to lack motivation? I’m no expert on team dynamics but when so many otherwise good players are sub-par there’s got to be a reason. Something for Dave Matthews and Tony Shepherd to dwell on, which they probably are.

I’m unsure whether the problem lies with Leon Cameron or within the team itself. Leon has taken us to three prelims and a grand final, and his overall win-loss ratio is quite good, but nothing he said or did on Thursday seemed to work, and that was after barely getting over the line against Essendon the week before. Is he losing his connection to individual players and the team collectively? It’s a legitimate question.

Whatever the source of the problem, it will take a monumental change in attitude to avoid a pre-2016 style flogging against the Eagles next Sunday. History suggests it’s going to happen; we got hammered the week after the other two embarrassments.

Toby and Phil Davis will almost certainly be back at the expense of Tom Hutchesson and Lachie Keeffe. Mumford will probably replace Jacobs – again – and he could hardly be any more ineffectual. But so many good players were way down against the Swans; Taranto, Himmelberg, Cameron, Shaw, Whitfield, Hopper, even Nick Haynes. We can’t drop all of them. And the line-up this week is almost irrelevant anyway; what matters more is looking like they actually want to be out there.

We now face the real prospect of not winning any games in the Perth hub, and should that happen, that would just about be the end of 2020. Sorry I can’t be more positive with this preview but Thursday might have been season-defining for all the wrong reasons.

Nic Nat will have a big day, no doubt at all. The only hope is to play Mumford and let him jump all over him and get our mids to play off the opposition hit outs. WCE also have 3 tall fwds in JK, Darling and Allen so I cant see Keefe going out even if Phil is fit. The longer break and being isolated in Perth may be the tonic for a bit of soul searching but WCE are in fine form, it would be a miracle turnaround to win this.

Great summary as usual LOTG.

Re the following:

We can’t drop all of them. And the line-up this week is almost irrelevant anyway;

I think this has been part of the problem to date this year. They have made no statements by axing under performing senior players. Shaw has shown at North for example that if you show these big names that they are not indispensable (e.g. Polec, Brown etc) and give the kids a chance you can get a pretty quick attitude turn around.

My side would be:

Shaw Davis Haynes
Williams Keeffe Ash
Whitfield Taranto Kelly
Greene Cameron Daniels
Lloyd HH Hately
Mumford Hopper Coniglio

Corr Perryman Green Ward

Messaging:
Every single contest will be scrutinised.
Every single tackle will be scrutinised.
Don’t let one d50 intercept mark be taken by the Eagles.
Play to Nic Nats taps. But make sure you’re on the defensive side of your mid... no walk outs for the Eagles from stoppages.

Last edited:
Doubt we make this many changes. It’s harder to get out of our team than in and that’s part of our problem. Lack of accountability.

One of our big issues this year has been getting any scoreboard pressure when the big three don’t fire. Our forward entries either rely on one on contests o the big 3 plus Toby (we score well if we can get this) however teams know the drill and just force the long bomb and our talls are no good at creating a contest for the Smalls to get to work. Briggs up front will do this and he can tag team Nic nat in the ruck.

My team for the Eagles:

Kennedy Keefe Haynes
Whitfield Davis Ash
Kelly Ward Perryman
Greene Cameron Daniels
Taranto Briggs Finlayson
Mumford Coniglio Williams

Corr Hopper ohalloran Lloyd

Outs
Shaw - 6 disposals, 3 turnovers (clangers), 5 pressure acts, 2 tackles, 3 x 1 percenters.
Caldwell - just 2 tackles and 5 pressure acts (not running defensively), 4 clangers out of 13 disposals.
Jacobs - not sure what has happened to him but he seems to be miles off the pace
HH - 1 tackle, 3 x 1 percenters, 8 pressure acts and most importantly not creating a contest in the air.
Hutchesson - injured
Langdon - probably most gets done by but he just doesn’t bring much in attack. Lloyd is just better. He runs in straight lines and small forwards need agility

I waited and waited until co
ING on this thread this week. Last week was hard to swallow. No doubt the team is capable but that performance was horriffic. This week will be tougher

I can’t see big wholesale changes as we tend to back players in over the long run. Greene and Davis to come in. That’s the only change I would make.The back 6-7 has probably need our best line this year and if there are any other changes I would expect them to come in the midfield orforward line

I waited and waited until co
ING on this thread this week. Last week was hard to swallow. No doubt the team is capable but that performance was horriffic. This week will be tougher

I can’t see big wholesale changes as we tend to back players in over the long run. Greene and Davis to come in. That’s the only change I would make.The back 6-7 has probably need our best line this year and if there are any other changes I would expect them to come in the midfield orforward line
No way Langdon plays.... his form has been horrific. Lloyd will come in for him for sure.

One thing we can hope is that maybe West Coast take us lightly.
To be fair you could probably forgive them - given the Giants game plan seems to be outnumber at the contest then wildly throw the ball on the boot indiscriminately into the forward line without looking!

To be fair you could probably forgive them - given the Giants game plan seems to be outnumber at the contest then wildly throw the ball on the boot indiscriminately into the forward line without looking!
That's Jeremy McGoverns favourite play.

He may break all records for intercept marks this week

On CPH2009 using BigFooty.com mobile app

One thing I will say though, is that I know that we 100% have been nowhere near our best. And that Toby Greene makes a MASSIVE MASSIVE MASSIVE difference to this side

We beat Richmond a few weeks ago (well Toby did) and they are one of the flag fancies again this year.

I guess if we want it badly and play like we want it (and kick it to Toby) then you never know

One thing I will say though, is that I know that we 100% have been nowhere near our best. And that Toby Greene makes a MASSIVE MASSIVE MASSIVE difference to this side

We beat Richmond a few weeks ago (well Toby did) and they are one of the flag fancies again this year.

I guess if we want it badly and play like we want it (and kick it to Toby) then you never know

If we're that dependent on Toby, it underlines how much of a problem there is within the culture of the team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m expecting the boys will have a good go this week. I doubt it will be good enough to win, but to see them have a good go will be refreshing and set them up for the run home.
The Eagles look too dynamic. Faster ball movement and faster players will be the difference.
I agree with others who would like a change to the forward setup.
A couple of high profile omissions are in order. Finlayson and Shaw would be my picks, but don’t mind who it is so long as a couple go.
Coniglio should be used as a tagger. The fewer kicks he gets the better this year. Captaincy doesn’t seem to suit him yet. I hope I’m wrong because I really rate him, but suspect his leadership style won’t work for this group.

I’m expecting the boys will have a good go this week. I doubt it will be good enough to win, but to see them have a good go will be refreshing and set them up for the run home.
The Eagles look too dynamic. Faster ball movement and faster players will be the difference.
I agree with others who would like a change to the forward setup.
A couple of high profile omissions are in order. Finlayson and Shaw would be my picks, but don’t mind who it is so long as a couple go.
Coniglio should be used as a tagger. The fewer kicks he gets the better this year. Captaincy doesn’t seem to suit him yet. I hope I’m wrong because I really rate him, but suspect his leadership style won’t work for this group.
By all reports he was already leading them last year and the appointment of the captaincy is just an acknowledgement of what was already the case. So I don’t think that’s a fair or accurate judgement

By all reports he was already leading them last year and the appointment of the captaincy is just an acknowledgement of what was already the case. So I don’t think that’s a fair or accurate judgement
That's not auspicious if true - we went on a three game losing streak just before he was ruled out, followed by a three game winning streak (and 7-3, including a GF appearance) once he was out.

(Fairly tongue in cheek, obviously, but mainly because I think the impact of a captain on a playing group basically impossible to quantify.)

That's not auspicious if true - we went on a three game losing streak just before he was ruled out, followed by a three game winning streak (and 7-3, including a GF appearance) once he was out.

(Fairly tongue in cheek, obviously, but mainly because I think the impact of a captain on a playing group basically impossible to quantify.)
Haha nah I heard phil talk about it on an episode of footy phil so i reckon it’s fairly accurate.
Again just so hard to quantify

I can really see the outs this week being the likes of: Caldwell, O'Halloran, Langdon, Jacobs (rotating door swap for Mumford).

Senior players all likely to be safe as houses - which is where the problem seems to be.
I would like to see ward stay and play this role off half back a little longer. Two weeks isn’t much time to settle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back