Preview Round 13, 2019: Essendon v Hawthorn, 14 June 2019, 7.50pm @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure how he does at Box Hill Hawks. Maybe someone can help us out, or it's just the small hands thing.... Have seen him dominant ruck for Hawthorn, in the seniors, with aggressive tackling and pressure. Check Mumuford's average marks and sits at 2.3, across his career. Not amazing amounts, but a fearsome ruckman.

Reckon Hawthorn need some enforcers, as opposed to the "highly skilled", left footers, getting lots of the ball.

Reckon the side stinks of weakness, without Pittonet and/or Howe in the mix. Who else offers anything for other sides to fear. Isaac Smith, Guntston, Breust, Burgers, Lewis, Frawley, Sicily... (free kick, goal), etc.. maybe Hardwick, but 79kg doesn't scare anyone.

I know i was super happy when Mumford was out for GWS. Think Pitts is a force who can look after a team.
Yeh, give him a couple of years & he may become a dominant tap-ruckman at AFL level & if he does, then that's a different story. I've nothing against him of course, I just prefer the Cegs & BigBoy types, that contribute through round-the-ground football as players & so I hope we've always got them (or players like them) available for selection.

* From memory & in Pitto's favour, I don't think Cegs was born with all the skills he shows these days. I think he worked bloody hard in a lot of areas to get where he currently is. No reason Pitto can't also do this.

Last edited:
Yeh, give him a couple of years & he may become a dominant tep-ruckman at AFL level & if he does, then that's a different story. I've nothing against him of course, I just prefer the Cegs & BigBoy types, that contribute through round-the-ground football as players & so I hope we've always got them (or players like them) available for selection.

* From memory & in Pitto's favour, I don't think Cegs was born with all the skills he shows these days. I think he worked bloody hard in a lot of areas to get where he currently is. No reason Pitto can't also do this.
Pitt's physicality makes the discussion interesting. I dare say that when Clarko talks about players playing roles, there's also some kind of enforcer role on the field. I think either we need to build Pitts into that role, or we need to recruit for it as well. We're really lacking Mongrel at the moment. Hopefully Worps will step it up a notch (he's got the toughness), but maybe not for another year or two.

This year we should start blooding as many kids with as many games as our structure can handle, and should reward the form of guys like Brand and give some games to Mitchington before we lose them.

That being said, against the *... we need some harder players. I'd like to see Howe in for his grunt, and Pittonet to stay and help create sore bodies.

I've decided that I don't normally rate Howe - he's almost there but just too slow - and this paradoxically makes him a definite ongoing keep as a great depth player - a list can't afford to keep stars in the Bs due to salary cap, but he's on the outer, not sought elsewhere, and thus will likely abide longer term on minimum chips. He's a pretty good standard for a long term carry depth mid. Give him a game.

Assuming Shiel, Stringer, Fantasia are all playing

They will still sorely miss Daniher.

End of last year and once they recruited Shiel they had a lot of hype, but I reckon we should be able to get a win.

AMT/Fantasia need to have their influences curbed in the forward line. Hardwick/Stratts/Impey to share to load you'd think.

If the club's going to play both Pitto/Cegs again then we need to win the aerial battle as usual.

Can't have Hurley/Hooker/Redman/Francis intercepting the ball all day. Forward entries need to be better, there are some quality players in essendon's defense.

Saad is dangerous too.

out wingard
in jones

Thinking back to that team and the sheer number of ordinary players with huge flaws we had pinned out hopes on; it makes me cringe.
We were in that position because our recruiting was horrible and development of players was just about the worst in the league.

I am thankful that, even though we are scraping the barrel for talent with late picks, and pinning our hopes on longshots to fulfill that glimmer of potential displayed in the U18s, we do have one of the top 3 recruiting operations in the league, and our development program is as good as it gets.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Couldn’t care if we don’t win again this year, beating this mob is everything.
I hope they bring in 3 blokes off soft tissues. Absorb the heat they’ll bring in the first quarter and then fire back with our game style. Remember last year they’d start every quarter off fast paced and within 6 mins we’d wrestle back the ascendancy. This mob have no plan B. Fast paced or nothing.
Wouldn’t mind seeing a physical statement either. Go after a Merrett or Fantasia type, we used to do it. Bring back the c#%t lads

We can knock them off but this side is mentally fragile, half a dozen times this year we’ve had 20-40 point leads and fluffed it... can’t be confident but we’re good enough

Couldn’t care if we don’t win again this year, beating this mob is everything.
I hope they bring in 3 blokes off soft tissues. Absorb the heat they’ll bring in the first quarter and then fire back with our game style. Remember last year they’d start every quarter off fast paced and within 6 mins we’d wrestle back the ascendancy. This mob have no plan B. Fast paced or nothing.
Wouldn’t mind seeing a physical statement either. Go after a Merrett or Fantasia type, we used to do it. Bring back the c#%t lads

Correct weight. But can we shut it down all night? Saad is that good, I can't recall too many times he gets caught now. Plus his kicking has improved.

Club has gone dead silent on Chad. In fact, there's been nothing out of the club for a week now.

Correct weight. But can we shut it down all night? Saad is that good, I can't recall too many times he gets caught now. Plus his kicking has improved.

Club has gone dead silent on Chad. In fact, there's been nothing out of the club for a week now.

Expect the injury report tonight. But we all know that doesn’t mean much.
Expect we’ll bring in Moore for Chad. Not sure where the Jones debut has come from.
Think if we drop this we’ll start to bleed in Jones, Ross, Jiath as the season continues

They were all away for a week came back Saturday we will get a BUPA report today

3 massive potential ins for the Dons, I'm tipping them with more confidence now, makes their forward line more potent and gives them a substantial advantage in the midfield.

Do you honestly believe anything released to the public anyway? The only one who speaks honestly from the club to it's supporters is JK and Clarko in the after match presser, and that's only because he's emotional and struggles to contain himself (which I love).. But generally, the club just speaks total and utter rubbish when giving updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back