Preview Round 13, 2019: Essendon v Hawthorn, 14 June 2019, 7.50pm @ Marvel Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
I'm really disappointed Lewis got dropped as we aren't doing anything of note this year so I'd like to have seen him play every game possible. Harris Andrews was given BOG by both coaches 12 days ago, so obviously Clarko was really disappointed with Lewis output at the Gabba.

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'm really disappointed Lewis got dropped as we aren't doing anything of note this year so I'd like to have seen him play every game possible. Harris Andrews was given BOG by both coaches 12 days ago, so obviously Clarko was really disappointed with Lewis output at the Gabba.

How could you be disappointed you wonder? Andrews played on Lewis, had he kicked that Soda he has 3 goals and 3 contested marks, surely that’s at least a break even.

I can only think Sicily is going forward.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
How could you be disappointed you wonder? Andrews played on Lewis, had he kicked that Soda he has 3 goals and 3 contested marks, surely that’s at least a break even.

I can only think Sicily is going forward.

I didn't think Lewis was that bad, but Clarkson must have given he gave his direct opponent BOG.

One of Sicily or dare I say it TOB is a certainty to go forward you'd think.

Simon Crawshay

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Glad to see Brand given another chance, still think he is a chance to make it.
As others have already stated I would not mind sering him in a key forward role. He can clunk a mark and he is fairly mobile for someone his size.

The Lewis omission must be an injury or management issue. He will feature again in a week or two maximum is my take.

Roughead to be given a game at season’s end it seems. An amazing career, however bold by Clarkson to keep him omitted. One cannot question Clarkson’s commitment to the next generation moving forward.

KOLOKOTRONIS

hawkguru

All Australian
Oct 12, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
lewis out???

tenor (5).gif

Nick the Pig

Team Captain
Apr 3, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The Lewis omission certainly caught us all by surprise as he has been one of the genuine reasons this season to be optimistic about our future.

Having said that, Gunston's best game in ages was the 6 goal game against Port which was the week Lewis missed. He was fantastic with the extra space allowed playing alongside the resting ruck and small forwards. Not sure if this has anything to do with Lewis non selection or whether it means TOB or Sicily will be sent forward.

I cant see the logic in Brand's selection. Structually doesn't seem to be needed. Happy for Glass to get another game to see is he can progress as its not as if the obvious replacements such as Howe and Morrison have grasped their own chances when getting games earlier in the season. Glad to see Moore back as I have felt he has shown some ticker.

Timo pez

Senior List
Aug 31, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Glad to see Brand given another chance, still think he is a chance to make it.
As others have already stated I would not mind sering him in a key forward role. He can clunk a mark and he is fairly mobile for someone his size.
Brand and Timmy O hang their heads a bit and both dont look to have much self belief, i think that's what holds both back.

lickmerocks

Premiership Player
Jul 24, 2007
heaven
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Bushrangers, Kings,
A couple of small areas

Stratts-
Please refrain from spending the night whacking some blokes arm from behind and niggling and get in front and beat your opponent and get a kick like we know you can.

Sicily-
You played one of the most petulant games I have seen against the Lions and your attitude and body language throughout the game stunk. Time to
lift and play to a standard we know you can.

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
what is the surprise? Mcevoy is a big surprise..
I am also surprised that Glass can get a game over Morrison or Howe!
I'm not a massive Howe fan, but Howe is the perfect player to bring in to shut one of there mids down ala Merret or Shiel.

As for K.brand open up your eyes its been 15+ weeks since we looked like a high scoring threat! mark my words J.Sicily will play forward
We haven’t scored over 100 in something like 16 games. Terrible.

JaegarTime

Team Captain
Jul 11, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Maybe Brand to play the CHB role that O’Brien has been trialled in recently & O’Brien to be the lose intercepter to allow Sicily to go forward.

Hesitant about sending Sic forward as he’s a weapon but obviously he may provide some real fire power. Also have serious doubts on Brand but I guess we’ll see

Jables

Club Legend
Jun 16, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
NY Giants, Hornets, Bulls
It's not a thrilling team selection bar McEvoy, but it's just one game and maybe they have a one off plan they want to execute. Tim O'Brien is adding value to the team now so who says Glass can't do well for us given he has his qualities and is much younger? Gotta chill and take the long view, Lewis isn't going anywhere, he won't lose all his abilities because he didn't play for a week. Kinda salty Roughy is still out not gonna lie, Sicily isn't going to transform our forward line and Brand well, that's a potshot reminiscent of Frawley playing forward in 2015.

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Seems Lewis was looking good as a Forward so we’ve sent him back to BHH to strip some weight off, so we can play him across Half Back.

Hahaha this is so true... deadset one of the great head scratchers from the MC on this one, FB pages blowing up as they should. Etihad is a great ground for deep forwards, he’d have a lot of opportunity to impact. If I see TOB go forward I’ll walk out.

Bumps"N"Grins

Premiership Player
Oct 15, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Sell the team Dolan
Not looking forward to the broadcast. It’ll be an Essendon jizz-fest and I’m predicting I’ll hit the mute button half a second after the first Brian Taylor “Orrraaazzziiioooo”
And I'm already grumpy as feck at the moment.

Thanks for the thought bubble...............................................not!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Carl Spackler

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We haven’t scored over 100 in something like 16 games. Terrible.

In the paper today Mick McGuane says the issue with scoring is that the mids are delivering poorly. I don't think I agree with him. I tend to think it's that the forwards are not presenting well. The ball is entering the f50 plenty and it doesn't feel nearly as "bomb-and-pray" as it did the last two seasons. The ball seems to be entering flatter and to the pockets more, but still not hitting the forwards. It seems the forwards are always caught behind and out of position.

I wish I could see some detailed stats, but it sure seems like the mids have more time than they have previously so I tend to think they are delivering where and how they are supposed to, it's just the forwards aren't connecting. Plus, goal kicking accuracy has been a shocker. Particularly sitters. So many times we could be turning up the heat but then put ourselves under big pressure when we miss the easy points. That being said, kicking accuracy did us no good at all when we lost control of the midfield against Brisbane.

I feel like I'm on the right path since it seems it is our forward line that has the greatest selection uncertainty. It looks like we're still shifting players around trying to get that end of the field to fire. The defensive setup has been pretty stable this year, a few injuries causing changes but no dropping and swapping. The same with the midfield (out of necessity perhaps due to the depleted stores, but Howe, despite being healthy, does not get a look in). The forward line, though, has a change in look virtually every week. It's been very unsettled at selection time.

Dunno, but I think that's our point of weakness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back