Game Day Round 13, 2019: Gold Coast v St.Kilda *NICK HIND DEBUT*

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
V6lojBG.png

Preview
Gold Coast v St.Kilda

674720_thumb.jpg

St.Kilda are back from their mid-season bye, ready to tackle the second half of the year after a 5-6 first half, and will be looking to bounce back emphatically after their poor showing in China against Port Adelaide a fortnight ago.

Gold Coast played host to North Melbourne on Saturday afternoon, but the game was over at quarter time as the Kangaroos piled on seven first quarter goals that the Suns never recovered from. It was Gold Coast's 8th successive loss, and it leaves the Suns in 17th place at the end of 12 rounds with plenty of room for improvement.

Let’s have a look at possible best 22s:

St.Kilda Best 22
B:
Daniel McKenzie, Nathan Brown, Shane Savage
HB: Callum Wilkie, Josh Battle, Jimmy Webster
C: Jack Sinclair, Sebastian Ross, Jack Newnes
HF: Jack Billings, Josh Bruce, Ben Long
F: Dean Kent, Tim Membrey, Matthew Parker
Foll: Rowan Marshall, Jack Steele, Jade Gresham
I/C: Jonathon Marsh, Luke Dunstan, Hunter Clark, Blake Acres

Gold Coast Best 22
B:
Charlie Ballard, Chris Burgess, Jarrod Harbrow
HB: Jesse Joyce, Jack Hombsch, Lachie Weller
C: Alex Sexton, Will Brodie, Jack Lukosius
HF: Nick Holman, Peter Wright, Wil Powell
F: Jack Martin, Ben King, Touk Miller
Foll: Jarrod Witts, David Swallow, Darcy MacPherson
I/C: Anthony Miles, Brayden Fiorini, Josh Corbett, George Horlin-Smith

Medical Room

[IMG='width:651px;']https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/Media/Galleries/Matches/2019/AFL%202019%20Round%2011%20-%20St%20Kilda%20v%20Port%20Adelaide/681737_gl.jpg[/IMG]

The Saints' skipper Jarryn Geary hurt his lower left leg in the last quarter and he couldn't put any weight on it as he was helped off. Fellow defender Nathan Brown had treatment for a knee complaint. Illness ran through the Saints camp pre-game. Billings and Savage were declared healthy but defenders McKenzie and Marsh didn't make it to the line.

For the Suns, Jordan Murdoch left the field in the third quarter with a high ankle injury. Vice-captain Touk Miller copped a corked quad in the first quarter and played the second half in a limited capacity in the forward line.

Preview

[IMG='width:651px;']https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/Samples/656319-tlslargelandscape.jpg[/IMG]

St.Kilda last played a fortnight ago in their first trip to China in club history, however the showing wasn't fit for the occasion, with the Saints comprehensively beaten in all areas and sitting 70 points behind the Power at the final siren. Luckily for the injury ridden Saints, they are back from the bye and will be looking to launch into the second half of the year with help from some of their key players returning from extended stints on the sidelines.

It was the Saints sixth loss of the season and in their worst of the year. However there were some positives to take from the game - most notably the performance of emerging young ruckman Rowan Marshall who was voted the Saints best on ground with 24 hit-outs to go with 24 possessions, 7 marks, 4 tackles and a goal.

Other notable performances included Jade Gresham (20 disposals, 5 tackles & 3 goals), Jack Steele (20 disposals, 3 marks & 3 tackles), forward Tim Membrey (16 disposals, 5 marks & a goal) and emerging defender Josh Battle (17 disposals, 4 marks & 3 tackles).

Gold Coast were lauded for their efforts in the early parts of the season but ultimately haven't been able to get over the line in a lot of close games and find themselves in the bottom four with losses to St.Kilda, Adelaide, Brisbane, West Coast, Melbourne, Port Adelaide, Geelong, GWS and North Melbourne. Their victories a sign of where the Suns are at, not having won a game since Round 4 and beating teams in an around them including Fremantle, Western Bulldogs and Carlton.

In what was another disappointing day out for the Suns, Will Brodie was immense for the home side - collecting 29 disposals to go along with 9 marks, 9 tackles and a goal in a best on ground performance.

Other notables included Brayden Fiorini (31 disposals & 6 marks), Jarrod Harbrow (27 touches & 5 marks) and Darcy MacPherson (21 possessions, 6 marks & 6 tackles).

Potential changes

[IMG='width:651px;']https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/Samples/664462-tlslargelandscape.jpg[/IMG]

St.Kilda's dashing half back Jimmy Webster looks ready to return from a hand injury suffered 3 weeks ago.
Hunter Clark, Blake Acres and Jonathan Marsh will also be considered.

Key Match-Ups

[IMG='width:651px;']https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/Media/Galleries/Matches/2019/AFL%202019%20Round%2012%20-%20Gold%20Coast%20v%20North%20Melbourne/683297_gl.jpg[/IMG]

Will Brodie
One of the Suns most promising young players, Brodie had a day out last weekend collecting 31 touches on his way to a best on ground performance. It will be interesting to see who goes to him on Saturday afternoon, but if Brodie gets off the leash for a second straight game it could be trouble for the Saints.

Jarrod Witts
Witts loves playing against the Saints and after a dominant 47 hit-out game against Todd Goldstein last week, it'll take Saints ruckman Rowan Marshall's best effort to quell the Suns ruckman's influence.

Tip

[IMG='width:651px;']https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/Media/Galleries/Matches/2019/AFL%202019%20Round%2010%20-%20St%20Kilda%20v%20Carlton/679241_gl.jpg[/IMG]

After a very disappointing way to head to the bye, the Saints really need to get back to winning ways and it needs to start this weekend. At 5-6 and with statistically the easiest last 11 games of any team in the competition, finals are a real possibility for Alan Richardson's men. With key players due to return soon, and the Suns having lost eight straight games, there couldn't be a better opportunity than this week to get the season back to 6-6 and mount a run home in the last two months. Gold Coast have been competitive in most games but the fact is they haven't won a game since Round 4 and if St.Kilda brings their best I am confident that it will be good enough to get the win here.

Saints by 21 points.

Thoughts?

St Muir

All Australian
Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
If we get early goals, I think we’ll take this. If we squander chances early again, we’re likely to lose. GC will fancy themselves against us, so it could be an intense game.
On balance, I think we win by a goal.

May 3, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
The Suns moved the ball pretty efficiently against us last time, and it was nearly our undoing. Give any side enough chances and you’ll get done, so our pressure and help for our backs will be important. That said, we simply just should be winning this, and I don’t care by how much. Just bank the points please boys!

Yawkey way

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Red sox
We should win this, I really hope we jump them because if they get up early Townsville might play against us.

I know people will go on about professional footballers etc but you don’t get more professional than Tom Brady and the Patriots yet they have a loosing record in Miami against an inferior team.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Tough game especially because of the slow midfield. We have to hit them hard to stop their run and carry. Something we lack apart gresh. Thought it was a certain win before Steele went down. We are missing far to many of our top 10 players. Both sides missing plenty of top 22 players. Saints in an epic game. One that will be watched over and over by coaches and kids alike and explaining that is how you do not play Australian rules

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
We should win this, I really hope we jump them because if they get up early Townsville might play against us.

I know people will go on about professional footballers etc but you don’t get more professional than Tom Brady and the Patriots yet they have a loosing record in Miami against an inferior team.

Apart from heat not sure how Townsville helps them. Have they even played there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quixote

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Jan 1, 2007
AFL Club
St Kilda
An ideal result would be a not cocking this one up. An amazing result would be a comfortable win. The likey result is an unsatisfying win to either team, from a close, low scoring, largely uninspiring game.

Watch for Dew to throw Swallow forward onto DMac, and Bing to embarrass us at FF while Winx watches from the couch.
Hope we win, but spidey sense is tingling.
Bing to embarrass us , the kid has kicked 3 goals for the year

This is the #eco game for me. Simply a game we must win. I have said many times that Richardson most likely will go at seasons end, however if we lose this afternoon I'd prefer that to happen sooner.

If we lose I would suspect there will be some fallout.

Sir Skid

Just one Kegs lady boys!
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Ex-Moderator St Kilda - Nathan Freeman Player Sponsor 2016
Nov 30, 2012
Behind you
AFL Club
St Kilda
This is the #eco game for me. Simply a game we must win. I have said many times that Richardson most likely will go at seasons end, however if we lose this afternoon I'd prefer that to happen sooner.

If we lose I would suspect there will be some fallout.
Think you might be on the money George George

Defining game for Richo.
Ratts surely in box seat if today goes Pear shaped
Others chasing him so would put that to bed anyway.

I want us to win of course but if we don't and look dead slow in midfield might be a storm front approaching quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back